“Unpleasant surprise with price”

Antico Caffe Santamaria
Ranked #10,012 of 12,362 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Sydney, Australia
“Unpleasant surprise with price”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Hot chocolate not great. Caffee macchiato without the milk! Then the surprise with the bill. Outragrously expensive at 65 euros for 7 hot drinks and three small cakes

• Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
South UK
“Mugged in Rome”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Only stop at this cafe if you don’t mind being ripped off!! 14 euros for a coffee and a coke! We only stopped there to kill time after visiting the Santa Maria Maggiore and before lunch. You pay a premium for where it is on the corner of the Piazza, but it is very noisy as there is very heavy traffic in this area, and there are a lot of tourists. Dont be lazy like us, walk down to the back streets and find a cheaper cafe!!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank cerberusuk
Hamilton, Canada
“Good choice”
Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We had dinner here last night after a long day. My husband had an excellent lasagne. I ordered saltimbocca, a signature Roman dish, which was well prepared but boring. The waiter encouraged me to order potatoes or some side. I declined but should have as the meat was alone on the plate. Stick with the pasta.

Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Worst service I have ever received!”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

The restaurant has a nice menu that shows pictures of decent food, do not be fooled, the food looks nothing like the pictures. My family and I between 4 of us ordered 5 meals a steak and mushroom dish, a pizza, salad and 2 pastas, the sauces on the pasta dishes were fairly bland I Sainsburys pesto would rank higher in my opinion and the mushroom sauce although stated in the menu it was from frozen, just tasted awful.

When I received my steak dish I was appalled, the pictured showed thin sliced rare steak, this was well done chunks of steak, that tasted more like pork than beef. When I raised my problem with the waiter he stated that he would ask the chefs although he was adamant that this was how the dish is prepared, for 23 euros I want my steak to be cooked to perfection.

25 minutes of the waiter ignoring me and avoiding eye contact I had to stand in front of him in order for him to talk to me, and when I asked where my food was he replied the chefs are working on it.... 15 minutes later he approached me with the menu and asked me to choose something different as the chefs were not going to make my dish.... This is where I got furious and asked to talk to the manager.

I had been sitting outside and so went inside where I saw an older man cashing up the tills, the waiter told me the manager was on holiday but when I asked who the man was he said that it was the manager, this waiter then proceeded to tell me that his English was awful and that he didn't understand me although he'd spoken perfect english not a minute ago!!

The owner/manager couldn't tell what was going on as his english wasn't very good but I asked the waiter to translate what I was saying to him, but with my tiny amount of Italian I could tell he wasn't saying exactly what I was saying.

At this point the assistant manager came and apologised for the waiter saying that he is new and he is learning, a definite lie but I shrugged it off, they then tried to charge me an extra 15 or so euros on beers I hadn't drank and only took off the one meal that I hadn't actually eaten, I mentioned that for me to not write a bad review I would need more discount, the waiter as I I was talking to him walked off mid sentence and shrugged me off. At this point I knew I'd be writing this review. I paid over 100 euros for an awful meal and awful service and was given a box of 4 mini profiteroles as an apology.. Setting the restaurant back a whole 1 or 2 euros?

There are so many other hospitable restaurants with lovely service and amazing food near to the Roma termini station and hotel "district".

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Djinh Raoul K
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We had our lunch here and the food was good and the service was very attentive... Even the price is quite expensive but its worth it.. ;) must visit!!!