“Good for me, maybe perfect for you?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of B&B Le Tare

B&B Le Tare
Ranked #1,381 of 3,752 Rome B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Good for me, maybe perfect for you?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I'm not sure what to think of this place since this was my first trip to Rome and so I can't really compare it to other places, particularly on price. Looking at the guidebooks and trip advisor thought I think it's likely that there are options out there which are better value for money or at least would have suited me better.

There's no doubt that the location is brilliant for the Vatican but I think most visitors to Rome will allocate one day for that and that means that the rest of the time it feels pretty out of the way. It is very close to the metro but the fact that you have to do that journey makes going out in the centre of Rome for the evening a bit of a chore.

My room was big (could have easily fitted a double) and it was kept completely spotless along with the rest of the place. I did feel that the lack of a sink in the room was a bit of a hindrance since you had to use the communal bathroom to brush your teeth, wash your hands, etc. My room was next to the bathroom and unfortunately this meant I heard a lot more about my fellow guests than I would have wished (this would only be an issue with the room I stayed in). The courtyard was nice (although right next to a petrol station) but since I was staying in October and it was cold first thing I didn't really get the benefit.

The hostess was really welcoming and friendly and went out of her way to help me with my questions and queries (as well as a fabulous dinner recommendation), whilst respecting my privacy - I felt able to come and go as I pleased. I thought the breakfast was good and more varied than some Italian hotels I have stayed in.

All in all I think this is a great place but I didn't think it justified the price they charged. I think the main problem was that I didn't really feel the benefit which you might if you were to spend more time there - I spent less than an hour there each day excluding sleeping so it didn't matter so much whether the room was big or small or had a garden or not. If you are planning a different kind of trip it may be perfect for you.

Room Tip: Avoid the single next to the bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BordeauxPete

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

I use a lot of B&Bs in Europe and the U.S. Le Tare is above average in terms of cleanliness, the quality of the breakfast (varied and substantial), and its outdoor courtyard. The location is good if you are willing to use the Rome subway (Line A) and walk 3 blocks or so, or use the bus system (several buses stop right outside Le Tare's front door). The location and surrounding neighborhoods are safe but non-descript, far from tourist and cultural sites. The staff is helpful, just not on site very much. The bathrooms are shared but clean, ample. The rooms are tiled and basic.

Room Tip: There is no good signage showing the name of this B&B. It is part of a large apartment complex...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Glenview, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2012

Verry good location,,,few minute away from Vatican. The breakfast was good ,but not so many selections on the menu. Hard mattress and verry thinny TV. Not at least a refrigeration in the entire apartment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2011

Le Tare is really everything a bed and breakfast should be.

It's very well located for the major sights of Rome, situated just a few minutes walk from the Vatican, and seconds from a Metro stop.

The staff at Le Tare are fantastic - helpful and friendly, without being overbearing.

Finally, the accommodation well thought out and clean, while the food is varied and high quality.

I would thoroughly recommend Le Tare to anyone seeking a good quality, honestly-run B&B.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DevineInsp
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

I stayed as a single at Le Tare for almost a week. I was greeted warmly and they always gave me what help the could. I spoke no Italian but if they felt we needed better communication they would call a translator. Mainly they spoke very good english, they just thought they didn't.

My room was a single with a lovely french door opening onto a terrace where breakfast was served to me there at a prearranged time the day before. I am a fairly early riser so they had everything presented by 7am. Once I took a sleeping pill and didn't wake up until 8 but it was not a problem. Each day you fill out a menu sheet and hang it on the outside of your door handle, that way when the cook comes in the morning she knows exactly what to make. The options are extremely good for a european breakfast. There is bread, rusks or toast, cheese, ham, butter, yogurt, cereal (a great granola), milk, juice, tea and coffee of all descriptions from espresso to decaf.

There was a warddrobe in my room, a single bed, which was a little hard, extra blankets, candies on the table as a gift, shower caps and a toiletry kit with emery board, q tips etc. Just little touches that are thoughtful. There is also free high speed internet (which is a must for me).

It is 2 blocks from the metro so easy to get to downtown and walking distance from the Vatican. They are also on the main floor, a lovely plus since many european B&B's fail to mention that you will have to lug your bags up 6 flights of stairs after your long journey.

The ONLY thing I could fault them with is the mattress being too hard. Other than that, it was a lovely stay with extremely lovely warm and helpful people

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

Marianna is so friendly & helpful. Lovely bright single room in an apartment - a little noisy, so bring earplugs. immaculant shared bathroom. Wireless internet. So many choices for breakfast from sweet to savory & served on your private terrace, weather permitting, or in your room. Buses at the door, 5min walk to metro, 15 to walk to Vatican. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

Room Tip: Close the shutters fully for noise reduction.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo