“Don't miss this one”

Osteria da Mario
Ranked #1,167 of 12,247 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Richmond, Virginia
“Don't miss this one”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Loved the food, don't miss the wild boar! Mario's wife was there and walked around to great and meet all the patrons. The staff was terrific and the house wine, yum!

Visited March 2013

New Orleans
“One of my Favorites”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was one of my favorite restaurants in Rome. The food, the wine the atmosphere. We loved sitting outside so much that we went two nights in a row.

Visited September 2012
Prague
“Roman secret - affordable classic cuisine”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Osteria da Mario, lunch for two with a total of 5 dishes, 500 ml wine and water for Eur 39!. Not a tourist trap, this is where the Romans take their lunch in the outside plaza or inside as part of the theatre that hasn't changed since the owner's portrait on the wall showed him as a young man. I had veal balls cooked in white wine, the chopped raw cabbage in oil and chilli peppers was fresh and unique, grilled radicchio and of course tripa alla Romana. Just to sit in the plaza is to enjoy the sideshow of real life in Rome and just 200 m from the Plaza Navarro with its packed, over-priced, mass-tourism glitz. You don't need to book as the tables turn fast enough, just avoid the other restaurants nearby which for some reason have none of the originality of this delightful gem. Suitable for couples, solo or families

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank fliegenkiwi
San Diego, California
“Enjoyable meal; nothing to shout about”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We had dinner at Osteria da Mario - it's north of the Pantheon among a number of restaurants. We had chicory, veal meatballs, and pasta with ham. It was very good, but there are so many restaurants that I would give some place else a try next time.

• Visited September 2012
Seattle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Has declined”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We may have caught the guys on a (very) bad night, but our dinner experience was not good.

My Italian wife and I ate here years ago and had a simple, pleasant meal. Since it had been awhile since I'd eaten there, and since I'd walked past the place dozens of times in the last month, I thought I'd go back. I had some second thoughts about it, though, since I'd asked some locals at the cool little bar next door if they had any recommendations for good restaurants in the area and they had all pointedly NOT mentioned Da Mario. Pro tip: always listen to local's warnings.

Anyway, my wife and were famished, plopped down inside, and ordered up a nice sampling of antipasti, primo and secondi, with a contorno and some house red. My bruschetta with tomatoes was fantastic, but sadly the quality of the rest of the meal dropped off from there. My wife's pasta and my oxtail were both brought to the table cold, which was a first for us in the Eternal City. Once properly heated, or nuked as I suspect, the coda (oxtail) was slightly undercooked and super salty. My wife's saltimbocca was strangely drowning in a plate full of liquid, but wasn't bad. To cap it all off we were overcharged with two items we'd never ordered or eaten. When in Rome, caveat emptor, of course.

There are far better places to eat in Rome, though I suspect that between their charming location and Rick Steves stamp of approval they'll have no problem filling tables.

• Visited October 2012