“Horrible service and food was just ok”
Review of Osteria da Mario

Osteria da Mario
Ranked #1,795 of 13,326 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We specifically searched out this restaurant because it was recommended in our Rick Steeve's guidebook. I will certainly be writing him a letter about this horrific recommendation! When we arrived we had a 10 minute wait for a table, which was fine, as we did not make any reservations. Once we were seated, we gave the waiter our order. Like the other reviewer on here, we were also not given any bread, while all of the other tables were given their their bread. When we placed our order, I had ordered bruschetta, which I had to ask for again when our food was delivered. Both my husband and I had the arabiatta, which was not spicy at all, and just ok. One of the annoying things about this restaurant is that it sits directly next to a bar, so those patronize the bar are sitting next to some of the tables while smoke blows into your face and food. Fortunately, my husband and son were sitting at the end of the table, so they didn't have to endure the smoke as heavily as my mother and I did. This was not the worst part of the evening...it gets worse! After waving the waiter down to get our bill, we present him with our credit card as form of payment. They did not accept American Express, which was fine, so we gave them a Visa credit card. The manager then came back about 10 minutes later telling us that we had to pay for a party of 4 in cash. What? A restaurant, recommended by Rick Steeve's, and located very close to a major Italian attraction (the Parthenon), doesn't take a single credit card? When we explained that we were ABSOLUTELY not going to be paying all of the bill in cash, the manager took our credit card and walked it over to the bar next door. When I asked why he didn't do that in the first place, the waiter that was serving us muttered something about us being American! The manager said that their credit card machine was not working. So, now because their credit card machine was not working properly, we have to accomodate them? I thought that should be the other way around. What audacity of them to ask us to pay them in cash, and then for the waiter to make such a insult! Do not go here or prepare to pay your bill in cash!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Following Rick Steve's advice after visiting the pantheon, we sought out a mid day meal away from the crowds. The restaurant was quiet and service was good. After many excellent meals in Italy my husband I vote this the best caprese salad (the mozzarella) was melt in your mouth. The rest was okay.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Osteria da Mario is a family owned place located in the heart of Roma, where is not easy to find an authentic place where Romans actually eat...I was born and raised in Italy and lived in the US for many years and every time I go to Rome I always make it to Mario's as it is a place that feels and tastes like home. In fact they serve simple dishes made with passion and from traditional priceless recipes that rarely are available in downtown restaurants anymore.
The owners are honest and delightful people and I think the staff is super nice. I read a few different opinions on the service however please don't misjudge Romans spontaneity with rudeness, certain expressions and behaviors just not always translate well. I have been there many times and observed their dedication to their customers and willingness to meet expectations of a pretty diverse and complex clientele.
It is located in the beautiful piazza Coppelle close to the Pantheon, you can also sit outside in summer and most of the winter.
Their prices are very reasonable for the area considering the genuine menu that they offer. Ask also for their specials of the day, sometimes they have things off of the menu that they are available depending on the season.
Definitely a must for your roman holidays.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

this restaurant was recommended by the staff at our hotel when I asked for a really great pasta place near the pantheon. the pasta was nice, but not really fantastic. I'm sure there could have been a better place to have been recommended. (the fettuccine w/ zuchinni flowers was lovely, my husbands arrabiata was just ok) but the service was horrible. the young waiter was not very polite and gave bread (and oils/condiments) to every single table that came after us, however none to us.. we were the only ones. we were clearly finished and it was so obvious we wanted his attention, but he kept ignoring us. yes, i understand meals are not rushed, but he was definately aware we were finished as he looked over at us multiple times with our empty plates pushed to the side and could have simply asked if we wanted the bill or anything else.. but he refused to come over. casa copelle just diagonal had much better service and nice food also.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Very low-key, tasty and authentic (I think) Roman cuisine. Pastas were delicious and plentiful. Service un-rushed, in typical Roman style so very appreciative as we enjoyed our dinner. Off the beaten path so un-touristy, thank goodness. The couple next to our table realized we were tourists so sent over glasses of wine for each of us to complement our meal. Upon paying our bill did we realize they paid for our drink, as a way of welcome to their city!

Been to Osteria da Mario? Share your experiences!