“Very nice staff and basic room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Santa Prassede

Hotel Santa Prassede
Ranked #684 of 1,283 Hotels in Rome
san francisco, ca
“Very nice staff and basic room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

Positive: Nice staff, Free wifi, good location
Negative: The shower is little too small for most of the people with even average frame.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank psoni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Milan, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

Great location next Santa Maria Maggiore, at the start of Via Merulana, reasonably near Termini train station.
Some discomforts are to be expected and budgeted in, considering price and Rome hotel market: room size, most basic furniture and fittings, lack of elevator, access through a dirty, busy alley fully in the country's average that may appear dangerous to people unfamiliar with the Italian version of Western civilization - or those who just like tidy surroundings and considerate neighbours.

Rooms must have been refurbished and are cleaner than in previous reviews, especially in the dependance across the alley where they appear downright nice if small.

Speaking of room size and window size, if you think room 316 is small and uncomfortable, as a previous reviewer does, check out room 306. If you book, explicitly rule out room 306.

The most annoying feature in my stay has been shabby service, including sending me and my luggage up three flight of stairs to the wrong room, then showing me an acceptable room for a guest who would arrive later, then forgetting to assign it and leaving him to settle in 306 - yes, the one that makes 316 look posh.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank GianlucaMarcellino

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

We spent 2 nights in this hotel and could not sleep, because air condition nearly did not work. Also it was wery noisy all the night. Moreover we were asked to change the room and they promised us to give better one. They said we must leave the room in the morning, but we can get another one only some hours later. So, we left our bags on the reception and went for a walk. But when we came back in the evening we found out that they cheated us, because the 2nd room was really terrible, much worse than the 1st. The air condition was same as in the 1st room, moreover we got the upper floor (just like a garret) with low ceiling, absolutly hot. We wanted to change hotel, but they said that we have to pay this night too anyway. And it was not so cheap -- 70 euro/ night (for this price and even cheaper we had good hotels in Rome and Napoli). So we had to stay in this hotel. During the night we used wet cold towel as a blanket, because it was so hot. But the worse thing was the feeling that they cheated us and the staff were so impolite. We do not reccomend this hotel!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElviraAleshina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

Arrived hot from flight from Australia and had to carry luggage up 4 flights of stairs I did ask if someone could help but the young guy behind the desk shrugged hus shoulders and said "I'm busy". Proceeded to climb dirty staircase with windows that were smashed and got to room. Tiny room with even tinier bathroom which seemed ok but window shutters didn't open, room was extremely warm due to it being summer and the AC not working, tried to turn TV on that didn't work! Dirty sheets on bed, went and asked young guy at desk for new room with AC so I could rest before I see Rome but he just shrugged???
Horrible feeling in this hotel not friendly and inviting!
I would not stay here ever again nor would I refer people to not even location would tempt me.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank Staroo
Lisbon, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Me and my wife stayed in this hotel on May's 2009 first week. It really is a very good option and has a relation price/quality quite considerable.
The location is near the main central station of Rome, Termini, and is besides the Santa Maria Maggiore Church. The rooms are clean and so is the bathroom. The wardrobe could have some more space. The hotel doesn't have any lift which is an upside for disable or elder people. The breakfast doesn't have very much options but the food avaiable was very tasteful.
Basically, when we return to Rome we might stay in the same hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

Our hotel in Paris was great but the Rome hotel,the Santa Prassede-Depandance, was a nightmare. It was located in a dirty ally with human feces on the ground, graffiti everywhere and our room was not in the hotel showed in the picture but across the street where they rent apartments, we wouldn't go out at night time. We had no telephone or air conditioner in our room as stated in the hotel information and they refused to let us use our calling card from the lobby phone. I explained that our calling card would not work on the payphone for some reason and our daughter was sick back home and we didn't have a phone in our room, but they did not care. Because our daughter was sick we had to use our Visa at the payphone and I just got my bill and it cost us $85.00 for 2 one minute calls. All but one of the night staff was very rude. It was so hot we asked if we could borrow their fan and one staff member told us to go buy one. This entire experience upset me because I actually upgraded the hotel from the original package, I cant imagine what we would have had if I didn't.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank treehugger9
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

This hotel is located close to the Roma Termini even though it can be challenging to find as it is located in a small alley way. It is close to all the attractions and restaurants near the Rome main train station. We chose this place as we had to get up early the next day to take a train out of Rome.

The hotel is divided into two parts and we stayed in the part across from the reception. It was a fair hike up stairs to our room so not good for people with suitcases, we had backpacks so it was ok for us. The hotel in general is dark and poorly lit, our room was clean and in general ok, there is no air conditioning and the shower was like a shoe box even for me a size 6, I kept banging my elbows on the glass door.

This hotel is good for a very short stay or if you intend to spend more time outside than in.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple