“Great Bolt Hole for weekend break”

Hotel Santa Prassede
Ranked #642 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My friend and I stayed in May and had booked a twin room but on arrival they had allocated us a double. They immediately offered us 2 singles for the first night without us even having to ask then offered to move us for the remainder of our stay which was fine. The rooms are sparse but we did not spend any time in them as were out sightseeing all the time but a great location, 5 mins from main railway station and 3 minutes to the metro. We were going to the tennis and reception were really helpful about telling us how to get there. They stored our luggage on the last day as we had a light flight and the free wifi in reception was great. Breakfast was good and included. On the whole I would recommend for a busy weekend where you just need to lay your head in a clean room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gcr23
There are newer reviews for Hotel Santa Prassede

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We didnt know what to expect with this hotel as we had paid so little for it. On arrival we were taken to a reception where the man then took us across the road to a separate part of the hotel. First appearances are not great as its a long windy staircase to the hotel. I think it mustve been an apartment that has been converted into 4 hotel rooms as there are members of the public also living in apartments above.
However the room was very large, extremely clean and so was the bathroom and suitable for 2 guests, even more as there was a double bed and a single.
The hotel is right by termini station and in a superb location.
The breakfast is good to, croissants and bread with orange juice, tea coffee. Perfect to start the day with.
The hotel was ideal as we didnt spend much time in it as the majority of our time was spent exploring Rome!

If you are looking for a budget hotel in an excellent location this hotel is the perfect choice for you!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sunshine_r92
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Good Points:
Location; short walk from Termini train station, walking distance to all attractions, small quiet lane way.
Rooms; clean, simple, a/c. Old building - we stayed across the road and there is a great spiral staircase that leads to rooms.

Bad Points;
Staff - many rotating (young) staff, most spend the majority of their time smoking out the front instead of behind reception desk. One day our new, clean towels were left nicely placed on the toilet seat. Politely requesting 1 new towel - I was refused several times before an older, grumpy staff member reluctantly agreed to find a fresh towel. He returned with a table cloth and waved off my request for a towel.
Wifi - Wifi is only available in a cramped area right at reception. This is not clearly known when researching hotel. May be OK for some.
Smell - across the road, there is a terrible cooking smell that drifts into public spaces. It does not enter rooms, but is most unpleasant and very strong upon entering building. It stems from a nearby restaurant.
Breakfast - Poor. machine made coffee and no cold meats or fruit. Very basic.
Bed- Rock hard bed. Ok for me but not for most. I mean rock hard.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Got to be the worst hotel we have ever stayed in.The bathroom was a disgace fungus growing from the extractor fan;large crack in the wash hand basin no toilet seat shower cubicale hanging off,shower head discusting we also booked breakfast but decided against it when we seen what was on offer the bedroom was stinking of smoke and needed a full overhall will never be back in this hotel again so be warned it is a disgrace.

Room Tip: sorry all rooms are bad
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

hi,

we are couple 30 and 32 years old. we used this hotel for one night. We are never very demanding people and have a good feel of common sense, and prefer to be happy rather then insisting to be always 'right'.

Good:
- location! 10mins walk to Colosseum and 5mins walk to Rome Termini station.
- breakfast included
- they let us leave our bags in the deposit for free so we could go sightseeing after we checked out.
- staff very helpful, friendly and on-the-ball
- Price 64 euros where everybody around was asking 75 euro minimum!

Bad:
- hot water was luke warm in the morning. May this was just on that one day.

We would definitely come back!

Jay

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoeBarAce
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We got bumped to this hotel from Domus Caracalla due to plumbing issue's, sorry for any bias therefore, as I booked a special 3 night stay in a quiet 3 star B&B where breakfast would have come to our rooms and we'd be located in a quiet greener part of ancient Rome. Instead we stayed here, not the same standard or service, had we booked here though I think fair enough...

We stayed in room 201, you report to reception, perfectly friendly and helpful staff, to be escorted outside and across the cobbles to another apartment block (a bit weird but maybe quite normal?!). You have to buzz to get in (24 hour security) - tip, be patient, ha ha, after waiting a while I buzzed twice more and think I was told off in Italian, but no idea, a man appeared and had a lengthy conversation with me, I smiled! Up the stairs, one door is open at breakfast time, and our room was inside another set of doors on the floor above.

The room was small but fine, seemed clean. Air con not very effective (we did keep shutters closed during day). Bathroom was small but nicely done - watch out for the Bidet, ha ha, our towel rack was above it so towels had an ironic attraction to falling in, nooooo! The mattress was very hard, and tehre was a light cover missing next to the bed. We were hardly around, but if I had booked this room as my 1st choice, i think it would have been what I expected.

Breakfast was a little let down, as someone said though, for a 2 star what do you expect (forget I booked a 3 star and room service!). There's a couple of little round tables, with tables clothes, all then covered in a plastic sheet (lovely), obviously to save on cleaning. It's self service, 2 cereal choices, chocolate balls or something like Special K, the milk was always warm, yum yum. Coffee from a machine. And a choice of a hard white bread roll and a pastry (unless you go early, it's always the same croissant!), honey and chocolate spread available. Also some Italian mini dried toast in packets - very dull but we snaffled a few each day to keep us going on our feet when we didn't have time to stop for lunch.

All in all, it was fine, breakfast let it down a bit, but otherwise for a 2 star satisfactory. Useful location for the train station, easily walking distance with suitcases (mine has wheels).

Room Tip: Have low expectations for breakfast and you'll be fine. Watch out for that Bidet and towel rack...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kzevans
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Clean and spacious room (for 4), suitable bathroom, silent also if the room was on the street, breakfast with cornetti and some other pastries. Nice the original destination: "Il granaio" means and old granary and the large stair was used to carry the grain on donkey carts (this in in the XIX century).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family