“Good restaurant but not as great as reviews suggest”
Review of Il Gabriello

Il Gabriello
Reserve with
Il Gabriello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 12,469 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Campo Marzio
“Good restaurant but not as great as reviews suggest”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

169 euros for antipasti and main for four. Found it fairly expensive, considering what we ate. Service was not very friendly. So overall a fairly average experience, but not a disaster by any means.

• Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice food but nothing more”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The restaraunt area was small and very crouded. The foods value was not so good as we paid 27 euro for a small sea food mill, although the dish itself was excelent.
More over it would be nice to get some more wine options glass served.

Sydney, Australia
“Good food, done simply, done well”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our choice for our first night's dinner on our 7 day trip to Rome. We made a reservation which seems advisable. Staff were welcoming and were clearly fluent in English and French (most of our nearby fellow diners were French).

The prosciutto and melon and bruschetta were lovely, we shared a spaghetti matriciana and the mains of steak and fish were both done well. Nothing earth shattering, seemingly just good, solid food, simply done but done well.

With a bottle of wine it came to a shade over 100 euro. In hindsight it turned out to be the second best meal we had during our stay (Imago was by far and a way the best, but then it cost 6 times as much).

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank SandDragon
“Wonderful second visit”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

On our last night in Rome my boyfriend & I chose to return to this gem of a restaurant again. We had come here our first night & had such a wonderful experience that once we had finished our meal we immediately booked to come back.
We cannot understand why there would be any negative reviews about this restaurant as we have eaten at establishments all over the world & have never experienced such hospitality & excellent food & wine under one roof as at Il Gabriello.
To begin with my boyfriend called to see if we could move our booking to a later time, not only was this done with some juggling but Claudio the owner recognised it was Michael from our first visit. When we arrived the restaurant was very busy but we were offered the choice of two tables & literally only had to wait a few minutes to be served. Claudio suggested a new starter for me to try & again when we asked for help choosing wine we were shown a bottle for €27, extremely reasonable & in the same price range as our first visit. Once again the food was to die for, Michael had lobster linguine & I had the lobster, crayfish, prawn & squid pasta which was so good the first time I had to have it again!
After stuffing down delicious desserts of hot chocolate pudding & chocolate & black truffle ice cream our bill arrived. As before we were amazed at the value for money, we had eaten three starters, two mains both containing lobster, two desserts, red wine & a soft drink & it came to €100 which is incredible value for money.
Despite the restaurant still buzzing with people Claudio & his wife found time to talk to us after the meal had finished, all the while ensuring that the rest of the diners were taken care of too. They are absolutely lovely people who care passionately about their restaurant, their customers & what they serve. Il Gabriello will be our first point of call when we come back to Rome & after spending two nights out of four at this restaurant it will definitely be soon.
Rachel & Michael

1 Thank Rachelborny
rome
“Total Letdown.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had wanted to organize a nice evening for my husband and I, and really wanted to go the center. We tend to avoid going out there since it's hard to find places to park and we've had not so good experiences with touristy places.
Well, I had my heart set on a romantic evening walking around the piazzas and then for a quiet dinner. Boy did I make the wrong choice! We did have a nice aperitivo near Pza di Spagna, but as soon as we walked into this place I knew I had made a mistake.
From the pictures it looked like it would be an intimate setting, but it actuality it was very loud due to the fact that people were packed in like sardines and it was full of groups of tourists. Perhaps I shouldn't say so, since I'm not Italian, but as soon as I heard every language BUT Italian, I knew this dinner wouldn't go as expected.
We were seated a very small table in the middle of the room, when I had specifically asked for a romantic table, which hardly space for our dinners and wine.
The service was exceptionally fast, which also took away from the lit bit of atmosphere this place had. Our waitress was brusque and disinterested.
The food was forgettable. Neither the selections or the quality were anything that was interesting or special. We had a meat and cheese appetizers, which was presented on a plate that was so big it almost kept falling off the table! Our fish dinners were dry.
I will say that the one positive note was the wine. They have a good selection and the one we choose was strong enough that we ended up having a half-way enjoyable night!
The final bill was a lot more than I think that experience was worth.
Sure, the location is great, very close to Pza di Spagna, but this place seemed like a tourist factory. Food that you would expect, rushed, impersonal service and too expensive.

• Visited January 2013