“The Library Romantico”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Parione
Description: The Library Romantic: its intimate candlelit setting is an ideal location for a romantic evening with your significant other, or dinner with close friends. Ideal for marriage proposals,anniversaries, celebration. Here you will find all the Roman hospitality, together with a homely feeling, a wonderful cosy setting and great food.
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My husband and I were anxious to experience this reataurant after having read the TA reviews and we were not disappointed. This is such a small place that the candlelight, lace and wood guarantee a romantic atmosphere. Complimentary prosecco and limoncello were as much appreciated as the meal which was prepared from fresh ingrediants. In June, the sun sets quite late so we didn't find the restaurant too dark at all. We loved the Library Romantico and would recommend it to anyone is enjoys a quiet, relaxing and romantic atmosphere.

1  Thank trishgio

Reviewed July 12, 2011

We just happen to come upon this place while looking for some where to eat. What a find! The host and hostess were incredibly friendly, and very welcoming. The food was absolutely fantastic, definitely one of our best meals in Rome.

On top of all that, the table we had outside let us watch Rome go by as we ate. It was a wonderful experience!

Date of visit: May 2011
Reviewed July 8, 2011

N41°53'51.48" E12°28'17.40" Suddenly, on our way and very near to the “The Library Bistrot” we stood in front of “The Library” without “Bistrot” above the door but with “Romantic” on the menu. Staff told us that the “The Library Romantic” is a tiny sister of “The Library Bistrot” next door from the same owner. The first impression of the menu was positive and they offered us a table without any reservation.
Romantic is an understatement. The interior is designed in detail to induce romantic feelings. It looks like a small wine cellar, with an iron staircase, piano, lots op wine bottles and candle lights. We ordered a bottle of Frascati wine and ordered our food. The wine was excellent and we enjoyed it so much that we took a second and third glass. With an empty bottle we realized that newer customers were eating already. What about our orders? No orders were taken, but with a menu at hand we showed in one second which dishes we ordered. In this tiny restaurant communication lines were clearly overstressed. The chef was scrambled into action as a short-order cook and set a new speed record, but the quality of his record attempt was disappointing. Very disappointing: without any taste. The taste of our different dishes was flat. On a camping site in front of my tent, my spaghetti dish would outclass him. Staff knew this and without asking offered their apologies. Adding insult to injury, they put a bottle of Jägermeister on the table thinking we were Germans. Without asking I received a discount. This was an evening with a lot of “without”.

3  Thank goyourownway
danaRoma, Proprietario at The Library Romantic, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2011

dear guests, i am sorry if you felt disappointed and let down by our welcome and food quality! i can ensure you we put the best ingredients, and take care of everyone in the same way i am sorry if you felt different.
Lisa, the girl which welcomed you in, is a friend of mine from the isle of white, who has come to help me with the restaurants for few weeks, she is married with a lovely duch man and she lives in holland this is to say, we both knew you were duch and of course not german. I am sorry you did not enjoy our food, prepared quickly for you, but with the same care of always, we believed you only wanted a drink! we saw your disconfort once you saw the prices in the menu and that is why i gave you a discount!
it is normal, all of us have a budget when we go on holiday, maybe a romantic night in an expensive restaurant is not contemplated in everyones holiday budget; we hope you come back your next visit to Rome, and we may make your night more pleasurable.

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Ate here for our last night in Rome because of all the Tripadvisor raves. It was quite romantic, candle lit, walls lined with books and wine bottles, excellent service and friendly, helpful advice. Thought the food good, not great. Had the eggplant stack, very creative & delicious, my husband had a porkbelly timble, filled with squash-unusual and tasty. Both of us had the special-Spaghetti with lobster sauce that we found pretty bland. I would go back and try it again or their new Library Bistro, two doors down.

Date of visit: May 2011
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed July 3, 2011

My husband and I enjoy good food, we eat out regularly in London, we love Italy, and we visited Rome for the first time, without our two small children, which gave us an opportunity to indulge ourselves with sightseeing and good restaurants. I booked the Library Romantic Restaurant for our first night in Rome, having read reviews on the Trip Advisor website. I was a little apprehensive as I am not sure that our expectations of good food and a great dining experience are necessarily the same as those of a lot of TA reviewers; however, we had a lovely meal and evening and we were not disappointed.

The Library Romantic restaurant is certainly small and endeavours to be romantic, which is not a style I necessarily look for in a restaurant and some might find it twee or trying too hard. Personally, I also prefer a little more light, so I can see better what I am eating and drinking. However, these are not complaints. The service was great and the food delicious. It was also a very nice touch that we were given a glass of complimentary prosecco on arrival.

My husband and I both had antipasti: his was parma ham and very good, mine was described as asparagus flan and in my opinion was good but not great (it was not a flan with a base as I had expected and the asparagus flavour was a tiny bit bitter). Then we both had pasta with truffles (a different dish each) - the pasta was quite heavy like troffie, not light like good spaghetti, the quantity of truffle was generous and overall both pasta dishes were very nice; then hubby had steak which he declared very good (although not the best he had in Rome) and I had sinta cenese pork, which was also served with some truffles, and this was delicious, although its presentation (attractive) on a base of potato was, I suspect, tailored for British/ American palates and not like the very plain and simple secondi we ate elsewhere in Rome. I was too full for dessert, but hubby was undaunted and ordered a dessert - I can't remember what, but it was good as I recall. We managed to get through most of two bottles of wine with this meal and over the course of this leisurely evening (I think we were the last to leave on this Wednesday evening), so overall our first evening in Rome was very enjoyable. We didn't skimp on the food, nor the wine (at 40-45 Euros a bottle) and our total bill was around 270 Euros. Not cheap, but then eating well in Rome does not come cheap.

I would say, based on our experience, that this is not a typical Rome restaurant in many ways. It is a lovely restaurant for couples and clearly attracts a lot of Brits and Americans who are visiting Rome on holiday. It was full when we visited. The restaurant clearly benefits from TA reviews (and why not!) and we were encouraged to review as we prepared to leave after our meal. I would recommend the restaurant to a friend or aquaintance looking for a good meal in a romantic setting.

1  Thank SlapstickBeds

Been to The Library Romantic? Share your experiences!