“The most romantic restaurant in Rome”

The Library Romantic
Ranked #913 of 13,450 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: The Library Romantic: its intimate candlelit setting is an ideal location for a romantic evening with your significant other, or dinner with close friends. Ideal for marriage proposals,anniversaries, celebration. Here you will find all the Roman hospitality, together with a homely feeling, a wonderful cosy setting and great food.
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I reserved a table in The Library Romantic (there’s also a Library Bistro) for my wife and myself on the back of the positive tripadvisor reviews and we weren't disappointed. The atmosphere created in this intimate and charming restaurant is fantastic and, as the name states, romantic really is the best way to describe it.

That's not to detract from the food as it was of an extremely high standard. Traditional Italian dishes, although perhaps of the slightly lesser well known variety, made with the best ingredients available which, when you're in Italy, means the best ingredients available anywhere.

My wife had a pasta dish with white (I think) truffles that she confirmed was the best food she'd had in Italy to date. As this is was our second trip to the country, with the first being our honeymoon when we were splashing out on top quality meals most days, this was high praise indeed. My turbot main was also superb and I heard a few of the other diners as they were leaving actually recommending it to the new arrivals!

My only real criticism would be that while the waiter spent a great deal of time and effort helping us select an excellent wine that complimented all our choices (a Brunello, sorry I can’t remember the exact details) perhaps he could have given us a bit more advice when it came to choosing our food. Having travelled extensively in Italy I am well aware that portion sizes can be large and that choosing a pasta dish as a starter can leave you full after just one course however I doubt that I, a man well known for his 'healthy appetite', could have finished my wife's steak main even bypassing the first course. It was delicious but a complete waste since Herself only managed a couple of bites before admitting defeat and I noticed that the table next to us had similar problems. Anyway my point is that since the dish itself cost approximately the same as the (€40) bottle of wine I feel we could have been given a bit of a friendly steer.

Speaking of costs, ignore the price range of $30-$90 given in the information section here as it's completely unrealistic. Think roughly €20 for a starter/pasta then €30 give or take a few Euro for most mains. I would like to emphasise that the food and setting is worth every cent! (Apart from the Whisky that is. As a 'prudent' Scotsman I know that a dram should not set you back €15 as it did here!)

P.S Their website is terrifying so don’t make any judgements based on it!

2  Thank OutragedD9

Reviewed June 20, 2011

This restaurant has it all! Amazing atmosphere, with great taste and warmth; the service was wonderful, the waitress being such a lovely person! We were able to visit both restaurants ( we ate at the bistrot/ recently opened one) with her which was great ! And finally, the food was marvelous, as the products are extremely fresh ( truffles, handmade pasta and bread) and the wine was remarkable! Anyhow, this restaurant was definitely the best I went to during my stay in Rome!!

Reviewed June 18, 2011

My husband and I just got back from our 25th anniversary celebration in Rome. We chose The Library for our special "celebration" meal out and it completely met our expectations. Dana, met us with open arms and treated us so very special. She helped us with a wonderful wine selection that complemented our meal perfectly. Each dish we tried was delicious. The atmosphere was very romantic, candle lit with soft music playing in the background. We left completely satisfied and so glad that we chose the Library for our 25th anniversary celebration!

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I went to the Library with expectations. I had invited my spouse for a romantic dinner during our weekend in Roma. The restaurant looked very romantic, but the introduction from the waiter didn't promise too good. Instead of a relaxed, romantic atmosphere, the service was characterised by stress and a bit mess. We tried to overlook this and keep a romantic atmosphere. Then the food - the menu was limited, and they did not have all dishes. Only one fish dish which was average. I had a pork dish that was dry and with too much garlic. Unfortunately, this was a bit dissapointing - will not go back.

2  Thank Freiro
danaRoma, Proprietario at The Library Romantic, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

dear guest
i am very sorry about your experice, we usually try to give our best service and as we only have 6 tables and serve only 6 or 8 couples per night for this reason, we give only fresh, instantly prepared food made with primary bio ingredients. the fish selection is from the sea we have 2 fish dishes in the antipasti (octopus carpaccio and flan of asparagi with crispy prawns) and and 1fish dish in the primi (pasta with orange sauce and kind prawns) and 1 fish dish in the secondi ( turbot in potato crust).
I am very sorry you did not enjoy our 'cinta senese', infact is a free range living pork from tuscany acorn feed, his fillet has such a delicate test that the chef cannot possibly use garlic in its preparation, the taste your thought was garlic was instead a fresh black truffle, i understaind that a profane palate can not reconise it, black truffle is used largely in chef alex cusine and its particular taste can be loved or hated, you may went for a second choice!
i hope you come back again to visit in the future and may have, like large part of our clientele, a wonderful experience! take care dana

Reviewed June 9, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful trip around Italy. This year, before leaving, I´ve read about this restaurant so made the effort of looking for it cause almost nobody could tell us where this vicolo was. Just when we were about to give up our search a person told us we were very close to it. So there we went. Unfortunately we entered in the other restaurant they´ve got, that´s the first one you see in that vicolo. It was nice, to tell the truth but not obviously as romantic as I´ve read. Although it was rather early to have dinner, we sat on a very tiny table just to have a glass of prosecco. The waiter was so insistent that we have to order something to eat. My pasta was EXTREMELY "al dente", I know they are used to eat it like that but for me it was by far the worst I´ve ever tried. We are argentine and we are used to italian food. Besides the seafood on my pasta consisted on three tiny shrimps. After leaving the place and paying a very expensive bill we were shown the other place that was more romantic. It looked really lovely but we never thought of going back. Sorry, I know it´s a personal experience but I needed to say something about it.

1  Thank silbeRosario

Been to The Library Romantic? Share your experiences!