“Don't miss opportunity to be alone in the Sistine Chapel”
Review of Italy With Us

Italy With Us
Book In Advance
More Info
$75.08*
and up
Skip-the-Line: Early Entrance Vatican Tour with Secret Rooms and St Peter's...
Ranked #51 of 837 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: We arrange private and group tours of the Vatican, Rome and Italy. One of our specializations is getting to the Sistine Chapel ahead of the crowds or being there when no one else in the Vatican! Our Vatican office is very close to the entrance to the Vatican museums. That is where we meet for our Vatican tours, not in or outside a bar or on the steps opposite the entrance to the Vatican museums.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My son and I were taking a few days in Rome after finishing western Mediterranean cruise. Someone told us that by booking with Italy with Us we could pay a little more to go to the Vatican but it would allow us to get 1 hour before the normal time. Our guides name was Tonia and she was terrific - very knowledgable in art history and all thing Vatican. The unbelievable part is that after we met Tonia for our tour we went directly into the Sistine Chapel and had an entire hour in there with just the 8 of us on the tour!!!!! Tonia helped us literally absorb all the scenes on the ceilings and the walls, discussed the various artists. We then went through the Vatican museum and ended our tour in St Peter's Basilica. I can not emphasize enough how wonderful this was!!

1  Thank clmascar
Write a ReviewReviews (1,499)
All reviews
"tour group"
in 40 reviews
"hour tour"
in 47 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 24 reviews
"three hours"
in 26 reviews
"st peters"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed December 21, 2013

A guy offered us this tour on the street, which departed from a pub because there had been a fire in their office. From this inauspicious beginning we were VERY pleasantly surprised. We have been on tours across the world and Anton, our guide here, was absolutely top notch. He had a very solid understanding of the history of ancient Rome and this underpinned his narrative, which was delivered with passion and British humour. He went on past the allotted 2 hour time, apparently oblivious, so wrapped up was he (and us!) in the tour. 35 euros (normally 52) got us 3 hours in the forum and Colosseum. Money extremely well spent. We could not have had a better guide!!

1  Thank Chio V
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Recently visited Rome with friends and partner. Booked the tour of the Colosseum with this company and had a great experience. The guide, Fabio made it interesting and kept you listening. Wed been on a tour the day before but was bored after an hour by the guide (not the same company btw). We were given relevant information and not just had loads of dates thrown at us. Thank you fabio for making it so interesting. I would highly recommend this company.

1  Thank VickyT1983
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Awesome tour of the colosseum. Our tour guide Kathy made it really interesting and her facts were really helpful. The tour was totally worth it it! Had a really good time.

But the tour to Vatican City was pretty boring. The tour guide was not as fun or interesting. We could have done it on own for this one. Paid €30 for nothing special here.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I read about ItalyWithUs and their exclusive Vatican after-hours tour in the NY Times. Although that tour was a little too rich for my blood, I thought the semi-private tour - which guaranteed a group of 10 or less and skipping the line - sounded perfect for my 73-year-old mother and I. This was her first trip out of the country in 50 years and I knew keeping up with a large group would be difficult for her as would standing in line to get into the museums.

We were met at their offices - just a short walk from the Vatican Museums entrance - by a person handling the check-ins while a number of tour guides came in. I was thrilled to see that there were only two other people joining us for the tour. When we started out for the Vatican, we were accompanied by two tour guides. I was thinking that maybe one was in training or meeting another group. Much to my delight, they actually broke the group in two and we each got our own personal tour guide!

Tonia was lovely! Not only was she filled with amazingly detailed information, she was very mindful of my mother's age and her ability to negotiate lots of steps in such a big place. She has a passion for art and knows her stuff as evident by the very interesting narrative she wove - the art work, its creators, their relationships to each other, to the church, and how and why they were inspired to create these masterpieces. If you can request a guide, ask for her!

We started and ended the tour at the Sistine Chapel - the perfect bookends to Tonia's narrative - and as promised, we were in there before anyone else on the first time thru - less than 10 people total including the guards. The Chapel was much more crowded at the end which reinforced the specialness of what we experienced when we began.

We also did the Colosseum, Dungeons & Upper Ring plus Ancient Rome exclusive tour and really enjoyed the access to the dungeons and upper ring. It was a larger group (17 or so) and more difficult for my mom. There are lots of stairs to climb at the Colosseum and Palatine Hill so older folks beware. Again the guide was very knowledgeable and engaging, but if I was to do it again, I might spend the extra money for a smaller group. The headsets don't work that well and you need to strain to hear above all the other visitors to the site.

I would recommend definitely recommend the semi-private Vatican tour to friends and use Italy With Us again for other tours.