“Ancient Rome”

Italy With Us
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Skip-the-Line: Early Entrance Vatican Tour with...
Ranked #143 of 844 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: We arrange private and group tours of the Vatican, Rome and Italy. One of our specializations is getting to the Sistine Chapel ahead of the crowds or being there when no one else in the Vatican! Our Vatican office is very close to the entrance to the Vatican museums. That is where we meet for our Vatican tours, not in or outside a bar or on the steps opposite the entrance to the Vatican museums.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Review of ItalyWithUs.com – June 2013
Our family group of 14 was walking toward Ancient Rome and the Coliseum when we were approached by a nicely dressed woman who spoke English and inquired if we would be interested in a group tour of the ancient sites. We responded yes and wound up taking a scheduled two hour walking tour with Fabio, a fabulous tour guide from Sardinia steeped in the history of ancient Rome. We walked through the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, past the Circus Maximus, and throughout the Coliseum. At all times, Fabio was cognizant and considerate of the needs of our tour group of ages 8 to 74. Our tour stretched from two to four hours because of the interest of our members, Fabio’s expertise, and his willingness to extend it. We highly recommend ItalyWithUs as a tour company, and especially Fabio as an excellent tour guide in Rome.
Noel and Jim, Virginia USA

2  Thank jimcosby
Write a ReviewReviews (1,542)
All reviews
"tour group"
in 40 reviews
"hour tour"
in 47 reviews
"highly recommend this company"
in 24 reviews
"three hours"
in 26 reviews
"art history"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I booked a semi-private tour of the Vatican for my husband using Italy with Us after reading reviews on tripadvisor. The thought of going with our young children on a hot day was underwhelming so I thought it best at least one of us appreciate the tour in its entirety. He returned absolutely amazed and delighted. He literally said it was one of the best days of his life. To be able to appreciate the Sistine Chapel without the huge crowds was priceless. His guide was Alessandra and he said her knowledge was unbelievable. He left very very impressed and would highly recommend using Italy with Us.

2  Thank exUru
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I had trouble booking the Following in the Footsteps of Paul tour, so I sent an email confirming the day and the number of people. I got a confirmation. I then was asked if I could move the date. I told them we could not. I heard nothing else. I got to the tour site, and no one knew anything about it. They put me on the phone with the owner, who first tried to say that it was the day before, then tried to blame "someone" for not putting it in the book, and after I pointed out that I sent several emails confirming it, she finally said that she messed up by not booking it. She tried to get me to do the next day, but I had already booked another tour with another company. She did reimburse me as well as my cab fair, but since we lost a half a day to try and figure out what to do, this was still a great irritation. Also, this was the main thing that I wanted to see out of an entire Europe trip, so I was very disappointed as well. Heard their tours are great, but can't confirm that.

4  Thank Steakjustice
Helen D, Owner at Italy With Us, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

I am so very sorry that you did not have a St Paul’s tour with us – it would have been excellent, I can confirm that. I don’t recognize the conversation you say we had – maybe I was thinking aloud as I waited for the online diary to open. I do know that we have problems finding the right guides to lead the tour; it is highly specialized work of course. We have two wonderful guides who have extensive knowledge of the life of St Paul but we rely on their availability.

I asked if you could change your tour date because there were a few people on the tour the day before and after yours and you were the only people on the Friday. Our groups are always small. I am now arranging fixed days and times for us to follow in St Paul’s footsteps – have the transport and guides booked even if we don’t have reservations!

I am also thinking about a longer tour, excavations going on in the Monk’s orchard of the main basilica sound interesting. Time for prayer could be another option. It is very interesting that following St Paul’s footsteps was one of your main pursuits during your trip to Europe. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We recently did a semi-private Vatican/ Sistene Chapel/St Peter's tour with Italy With Us. Our tour guide, Alessandra, was fantastic. She had excellent knowledge of everything we saw and communicated it in an extremely interesting and entertaining manner. A perk in taking one of these tours is that you do not wait in line to enter the Sistene Chapel. When you do enter, you are among a handful of people there, so you can thoroughly enjoy and absorb everything that you are seeing. I highly recommend Alessandra and Italy With Us!

1  Thank Maureen G
See more reviews
Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you are looking for a private, close-up tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel, this is absolutely the tour to take!! This was our second time with the private evening tour and it is amazing access to the Vatican. You meet at their office around the corner, walk to the side entrance of the (closed!) museum and at the stroke of 7pm the doors almost-magically open. For 90 minutes we had a totally private tour of virtually any room we wanted in the Vatican Museum. Our primary guide (Arnaldo) had encyclopedic knowledge of everything we saw – no question was beyond him. Our other guide-in-training (Alfredo) was an enjoyable addition to the narration (even our Vatican guard/escort got into the tour with his own additions).

For as nice as the private time in the Museum was (and it was!) it paled in comparison to then entering the Sistine Chapel where we spent 30 minutes with not a single other person or tour group. That time was amazing, allowing us to get up close to the art, take all (non-flash) photos we wanted and get an excellent personal narration of everything we saw. While 30 minutes is, of course, not nearly enough to absorb all the Chapel has to offer, it is a magical way to see it!

As I said, this was our second time doing this tour with Italy With Us and we would never consider doing it any other way. It’s not the cheapest way to see the Museum and Chapel, but you’ll never get a better experience…We will go again and again every time we’re in Rome!

1  Thank PhillyBoyz