“Delicious gelato”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Colonna
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hands down the best gelato that we had during our trip to Italy. You go to the till and ask for a cone or cup, take your ticket to the counter, and then spend forever trying to choose from a dizzying array of flavours. I was overwhelmed by choice after choosing my first flavour (stracciatella) so the lovely man behind the counter surprised me for my second flavour - Baileys! The combination was divine. Definitely seek this place out!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you're looking for authentic Italian ice cream, you have to go to Giolitti. I asked the friendly waiter to choose my flavours for me as I wanted to try the ones he thought were best and it was without a doubt the best ice cream I've ever tasted. I'd advise anyone else to do the same! Pistachio, hazelnut, raspberry and chocolate chip were all fantastic.

I was working there so I was fortunate enough to meet the owner - Mr Giolitti. He showed me a collection of letters he's had from Michelle Obama, Cameron Diaz, Rupert Murdoch and many other famous people who've eaten ice cream there, saying how much they enjoyed it. The refreshing thing was,though, these letters were in a ramshackle file which he had to dig out from a dusty filing cabinet. Not laminated and plastered all over for every visitor to see. His focus is on the ice cream. He's kept the style of the cafe and restaurant exactly as it was when his great great grandfather opened the place and again, I personally loved that it wasn't super-swish inside.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The gelato here really is everything everybody says. But you pay about 2.5 times as much if you sit down, so I suggest just taking your gelato in a cup or cone and going out to eat it in the nearby piazza....

1  Thank TeddySheepherder
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Fantastic rangeof Gelati -so difficult to choose we made two visits - the strawberry ice-cream tasted more like strawberries than strawberries !

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I am surprised by the low ranking this shop has. We have made it an effort to try the gelato at as many different Gelateria as possible during our 3 weeks in Italy for every meal and this shop really stood out from the rest.

The flavours offered and the taste were simply out of this world. It was refreshing, rich, satisfying, delicious... I could go on and on.

The only downside about this was the service. Staff were a little more than rude towards tourists who do not know their system of paying first, choosing later. I'm just glad I had a local with me to help me not make a fool of myself. Just remember - pay first and use the receipt to redeem your gelato.

Have fun! Yum yum :))

Been to Giolitti? Share your experiences!