“We agree with all of the positive coments given to this restaurant”

Grotte del Teatro di Pompeo
Ranked #1,075 of 12,764 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Wonderful food at a wonderful price! We ate here one week ago and can't stop talking about how lucky we were to find this restaurant on our last night in Rome. We chose it because it was not directly on the piazza and the staff was not trying to lure us in. We were done with tourist traps!!!! The lady owner was delightful and the staff very attentive and respectful. I ordered the seafood risotto (which was outstanding) and my husband loved the lasagna and a side dish of grilled vegetables. Order the house wine, it was great! Even though this restaurant is not directly on the piazza, there is plenty of people watching going on. Overall, through the food quality and the attentive staff, I can tell that the owners are proud of this restaurant and their food!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Rome has excellent restaurants but it can be difficult to find a good authentic one at a good price. Here we did, and then at the place where Cesar was killed! History was in the air when you pass the grotto before the bathrooms and after seeing the open service area (one of the guarantees for quality).
Excellent food. I can really recommend that like us you order "diverse starters (primi)". We got a.o. yummy mozarella and fried artichokes you cannot stop munching at.
For "secundi" I had fried fish with fried potatoes. maybe too many fried things but that was my own fault, there was plenty to chose from.
The dessert Millefleure which went well with a strega.
If I should give a little criticism it was that everything was fairly plain and unordained - which on the other hand made it even more authentic as a rustic Italian meal.
The bill was something between 25-35 euro for a full meal with liquor and coffee. It was definitely the cheapest meal I had in Rome (I had good meals but all the ones one could call even better were much more expensive).

1  Thank Asaneboo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Having dinner at this restaurant was a wonderful experience! We chose it by chance, as we were walking in the area, and we feel lucky it turned out to be a really good choice. The food was excellent at a reasonable price. They have their own wine, which is very good indeed (red or white, at the cost of 7 euros per bottle). However, the space is small and the tables very very close to each other. So this is not the place for private conversations...

3  Thank Bodleianus
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time on this trip where we made a really unfortunate decision, based purely on the lovely street setting of this restaurant. We were met by a really unfriendly brusque woman, I believe to be the owner. I don't mind brusque and abrupt service when it is all part of the banter and the product and ethics stand for themselves ... but outright rudeness is unacceptable. I know some reviewers say go with the flow, it's all part of the charm but to do this you have to trust the establishment and their ethics. The only words to greet us were English? (I assume she meant do we speak English? .. yes two of us do.. fine) red or white wine? We requested rosé, ...sparkling or still water... We selected sparkling.. the woman returned and plonked down a large bottle of red wine and sparkling water and walked away dismissing our request for rosé. She returned and plonked a basket of stale bread and four tatty menus onto the table and reeled off her specials without looking at us or stopping for clarification or even a breath! She then stopped looked at us and said Yes?... our cue to order! We ordered various pastas, a gnocchi and salads to accompany. She walked away again with barely any recognition and later plonked down our pasta dishes and a second bottle of red wine, we said we hadn't ordered a second bottle and she said just drink it, some or all of it or whatever! We asked her to remove it as we didn't want it, she reluctantly took it away. She then started to clear plates and glasses from us the second one of us had put our fork down ... two of us were still eating! The salads never arrived and by this time we just wanted to leave and asked for the bill... she reeled off some numbers, no real resemblance to actual prices, but within a euro or two, scrawled on a scrap of paper. We paid as the remaining glasses were brusquely removed from our table and left, noticing that other guests on the terrace were receiving similar treatment, we were somewhat relieved that we had not been singled out! To me there is a thin but obvious line between banter and sheer rudeness.

4  Thank aloisw8
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Nice Italian fresh food and really good service. Besides, the prices are reasonable according to the location (right next to Campo de Fiori).

1  Thank Karl H