“Great hotel...but DON'T LET THEM MOVE YOU!!!”

When In Rome Accommodation
Ranked #2,811 of 3,617 Rome B&B and Inns
albany
“Great hotel...but DON'T LET THEM MOVE YOU!!!”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

The When In Rome is a clean, bright, friendly hotel that is very reasonably priced for a hotel just 2mins walk from Termini Station. However, upon check-in (once I had paid) I was informed that they were repainting our room and we would be moved to a hotel 'just around the corner' for the second part of our stay. The hotel they moved us to was dark, dingy, out of the way and the owner was rude (and we think drunk at 2pm). Turned out it was a 15min walk from When In Rome, not just around the corner, and conversations with other guests led us to believe the nightly rate was cheaper than what we had paid. What we found most frustrating was that no attempt was made by When In Rome to contact us to advise of the issues with our reservation despite them having a phone number, email address and postal address for months in advance. I would reccomend this hotel but only if you can confirm you won't be moved to another site!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Just came back yesterday from Rome, I've booked When In Rome 4 months before via their official website. They offered me 77Euro@night for double room with private washroom (pay in advanced). I think the price is ok as it's close to the termini and september is high season in Italy, so i booked 2 nights with them.

It's very close from the termini station, and many resturants near the hotel. when we checked in, the man told us we had to change to other hotel in the next day (he told me the reason, but i didn't understand his meaning at all!!).

Our room for first night called "Oceania", it was a nice room, well decorated, cozy with a lovely balcony. we're very satisfied with that room. and had a well sleep that night.

The next day, we left our luggages in the receiption and left the hotel for sightseeing, and around 6pm, we returned to "when in Rome" and waited for their arrangement.

The guy took us to the other hotels near when in rome, when we entered the building....we juz thought...omg....don't wanna stay here!

The Room compared with previous one, just like heaven and hell !!!! The light in the room is dim, the window just face to the backstreet, the bed wasn't Double ~ is twin pretend double bed ! The most awful thing is the washroom !! it's only a small shower room and the water is not powerful enough and hot water need to wait around 5 mins, but sometimes the water turn cold !! it's not acceptable!! more worse was the water spread out of the shower room, when I finished shower, i saw the floor was completely wet, it's really ridiculous!!

I don't think the second night worth for 77 euro with that bad facilities, they don't even provide a glass for us ! TV was not work ! and there was no wifi as well!!

I didn't complain to the B&B owner finally as i thought i was already suffered ! and i don't think they would compensate for a penny ! so i juz left as earlier as possible in the morning ! escape from the hell !!!

p.s. they've provided BREAKFAST as well ~ but juz a cuppucino + Croissant in a small cafe outside the hotel.

for my conclusion, i would love to pay 77 euro for one night @ WHEN IN ROME ACCOMMODATION but not that GHOST PLACE!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kennixnix

Travelers are raving about these Rome hotels

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 7, 2010

When in Rome is a special place: in a city of expensive hotels, you'll get everything you need for an affordable price.
The rooms are clean, bathroom is clean and relatively spacious. The beds are good enough and the airco works like a charm (very important in summer in Rome). Our room even included a balcony with views of the city. Don't think the balcony is with every room so check ahead. Free wi-fi is included!
The owner is very friendly.

Great place to check out Rome, as it's conveniently close to central station to get the subway/ bus/ trains.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I thought this was a great value for the price of staying in Rome! I had my own private room and bathroom for a fraction of what a hotel would have cost me. Right next to Termini station, so it was a central location that made it very easy to jump on a bus or Metro, or just walk. I did all three and did not find the location to be too out of the way. I had some trouble activating the lift and had to climb 5 flights of stairs several times, but it wasn't a big deal. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The only thing I would say negative was that you could hear EVERYTHING, but for someone who just wanted a bed to crash in, it was not a big issue. Very friendly staff. Breakfast is simple - croissant and coffee - but it's still free! Would I stay here again? Most definitely.

**(Please pardon my pictures are not the best quality - from my phone, but you'll get the point).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
LaSalle
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We stayed in Rome for one night before a cruise and found excellent apartments for 10 of us. We rented through vrbo.com number 246182 - all four apartments. They were in a great spot right by the Piazza Nuvona and the Pantheon. We arranged for a drive from the airport to the apartments and then to the port the next day. The owner was more than accomodating and the prices were great. We had a great restaurant recommendation as well. I strongly recommend staying here - right in the heart of the attractions. Not far from the Vatican and an inexpensive cab ride at night to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 5, 2009

Don't be put off by the unassuming entrance to this hotel! The location is great for a city break - close to the Termini station (2 mins) and walking distance to most of the main sights. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Asia room, very big and had a balcony, for 3 nights and would highly recommend it. The rooms were cleaned every day and the staff very friendly. It is more like an upmarket hostel rather than a hotel, as we had a shared bathroom (very clean) and there's no bar/restaurant but it wouldn't put me off coming back again. Because their is no restaurant you get a voucher for the cafe accross the road for breakfast - what a fantastic way to start the day, mixing with the local's and doing as they do, drinking your caffe and eating your pastry standing at the counter!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My family and I along with my children's friends stayed at the Antico Palazzo Rospigliosi . This location could not have been any better. Located in front of the beautiful Santa Maria Maggiore church and walking distance to all the major sites. This is a beautiful hotel with a pretty court yard . The rooms a quite large for European hotels. The staff was very pleasant and spoke English . Stefano was always on top of things and a very pleasant man.
This is a 4 star hotel that offers 5 star service. If you have teenagers this is a great location . If you like to walk this is the place to stay.

Stayed June 2008, traveled with family