“One of my favorite restaurants in Rome!”
Review of Hostaria Romana

Hostaria Romana
Ranked #308 of 12,469 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trevi
Frederick, MD
“One of my favorite restaurants in Rome!”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

20 February 2012. I returned last night from a quick 4-night visit to Rome. I dined twice at Hostaria Romana (and I ate there back in 2010). It's one of my favorites in Rome. While it's a mixture of locals and tourists, the food is very good. My first night I ordered the 10 euro antipasti platter. You can check out what's being served, as it's all on display in the front dining area. I was shocked at how large the portion was!! I couldn't eat it all. Everything was delicious! The antipasti included: Mozzarella, fritatta, eggplant, zucchini, beans with onions and garlic, pickled mushrooms and artichokes, roasted red peppers, fried onion half topped with bread crumbs. you can have this as a meal or share with someone. I also had the roasted lamb with potatoes. With my meal I had a 1/2 bottle of white wine. I received complimentary biscotti so I ordered a glass of vin santo. I also received a shot of limoncello. Total bill: 38.80 euros. I had a good time chatting with two of the waiters and even the owner came over to see how I was doing. Warm up to the waiters and they warm up to you.

My second night (18 Feb) at H. Romana started out a little disappointing, not because of the restaurant but the obnoxious and very loud tourists sitting behind me. They didn't give a crap about the other diners in the room. I should have asked to move. In any case, they finally left and I could enjoy the evening. The owner had greeted me warmly and the two waiters looked happy to see me.

As much as I wanted the antipasti again, I knew it would be too much, so I skipped the starter and ordered the osso bucco (14 euros) along with a side of spinach (5 euros). While waiting, one of the waiters came by and was surprised I didn't have any food in front of me. I told him I was just waiting for my dinner. He came back a minute later with a small plate of antipasti (eggplant, pickled fish of some sort, and mushrooms and artichokes).

I've made osso bucco before but this one was excellent! The meat was so tender you don't need a knife. I'll have to remember to cook mine longer. The spinach has been sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and salt. Also very good. This time I ordered a 1/2 liter of house wine. Total bill: 25.50.

I'm heading back to Rome in November and will return to Hostaria Romana!

• Visited February 2012

• Turkish first
Burntwood
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed February 17, 2012

We tried this restaurant on our first night in Rome - and enjoyed it so much that we returned on the following three nights! We were made to feel very welcome and greeted by all the waiters and the owner as they began to recognise us. The food and service are both excellent, and the atmosphere is second to none.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank LizB737
uk
“Amazing carbonara and roast suckling pig!!! D:”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

food was ace, service was good, location easy to find. Enough said.

Visited January 2012
1 Thank traveller55m
Brisbane
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Our last nightin Rome was spent with friends from Ireland and we just couldnt be bothered looking very far for a restaurant and this one was across the road from their hotel De Petris. The chef and waiters got very involved with their clients, making jokes, laughing. We thorough enjoyed ourselves The wine was great and the food was excellent and the antipasto is their specialty, as was their pork rind in chilli.

It was a perfect ending for our last night in Rome and would definitely seek this restaurant out when next in Rome

• Visited November 2011
Huddersfield
“Intersting well-cooked food,quiet but convenient location”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We ate here on our last night in Rome, having read the Tripadvisor reviews.We enjoyed our shared pasta starter of tomato and bacon amtriciana, then our mains of roast kid. With this we had the local speciality of artichokes in two different ways, Roman and Jewish, the latter being deep fried. The Hosteria room is not very atmospheric, as it is a modern extension with large windows on the side of the building, but the pleasant and helpful service compensated for this. It is located on a quiet street near Piazza Barberini.

• Visited January 2012