“pretentious and overpriced”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ludovisi / Via Veneto
Reviewed November 18, 2012

The antipasti were very varied, beautifully presented, but at 15euros each selection (about 4 or 5 small plates) it was not clear that they were not a complimentary "taster" as 2 plates were already on the table before we were seated and there was no written menu. After some confusion, they agreed (somewhat reluctantly) to let us share the starter, as my partner cannot eat certain foods. He settled on a simple steak for a main course, but it was so fatty he could only eat about a quarter of it. I had a dish with some parma ham, which was also extremely fatty and hard. Very disappointing.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

The antipasti were three little Plates, one with cherry tomatoes, other with two super thin slices of zuchini, other with small pieces of cheese and they charge 15€/person for this! We had just this ridiculous anti pasti, a plate of pasta with vegetables, no wine or desert and they charged 75€ total. The service was Very weak, and no prices or menu card was shown, so you are completely surprised when the bill is presented.

1  Thank Ze S
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

We got recommended this restaurant by a local Italian and what a gem it was! We were very lucky to get a table for two ( on a Thursday evening) so definitely book in advance. The dishes of anti pasta started arriving almost immediately consisting of tomatoes, delicious meatballs, mozzarella, ricotta, cooked meats, vegetable dishes served with homemade breads! There was no menu but the waitress stated the pasta dishes available and/or meat. My mam had bacon and tomato Rigatoni and I had spinach &ricotta ravioli with sage and butter! They were both delicious! We even had desserts of fresh fruit and Tiramisu all washed down with house White wine! Lovely atmosphere, amongst the locals! Bill came to €90, but we both said it was one of the best meals we have had! Highly recommended!

1  Thank Tinkerbell0191
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I love this place! I ate here five times on a previous visit to Rome, so nine or ten years later, I needed to see if things had changed. Well they had, somewhat. Bruno, the owner, was still hard at work, but his brother had recently passed away, and his absence was the only discernible change. The walls are still festooned with horse racing memorabilia, and wonderful antipasti were waiting for us as we sat at our table: marinated tomatoes, grilled zucchini, a slice of frittata, two soft cheeses, mozzarella buffala, prosciutto, tender meatballs in a tomato sauce, squash puree, olives and wonderful breads. (You can opt out of the antipasti, but why?) The house wines were delicious. On the evening I went with friends, the antipasti were so filling that we had pasta rather then a secondi. My ravioli were divine, and my friends cleaned their plates!. Vin Santo and biscotti for desert were the perfect ending to a memorable meal. When I returned several nights later, I was recognized and greeted warmly, presented with an antipasto for one, and house wine by the glass. There was no fish available that evening, and I had eaten pasta for lunch, so I opted for the thin lamb chops served with roasted potatoes with rosemary, grilled fresh porcini, and cooked greens. Again, a desert wine and biscotti rounded out the meal. An anecdote: I struck up a conversation with a Milanese businessman seated next to me. He discovered Santopadre when working in Rome some years ago. He was happy to spend 40 Euros to get there from his airport hotel that evening, and was to spend another 40 to return!

1  Thank wanderer623
Reviewed October 18, 2012

As Americans living in Rome for the past 3 years, we have been to many good restaurants and some avearage ones as well.

I have read many reviews on Santopadre and felt that we should give it a try.

Very nice atmosphere on arrival and warmly greeted by a woman from the UK who spoke fluent Italian as well as Fluent English.

Our table had some appetizers on it consisting of cheese, proscuitto, grilled zuchini, tomoatoes and bread. After eating some we were asked if we wanted the meatballs and buffala mozzarella, when asked we determined it was included in the appetizers so of course we asked for it.

Bought the house red wine which was a liter bottle of chianti and was fine.

We split one order of porcini mushroom pasta between two of us and the each had the roast pork which was a very small portion with a few rosemary potatoes on the plate. Wife had a small order of tirimisu for dessert.

Our bill came, if you could call it that, and was numbers written in a line on a piece of small paper which did not identify the items we were being charged for and totaled 102 Euros which had a line through it and a larger written number of 90 euros, supposedly showing a "discount".

We have eaten in many restaurants and for the quantity and quality of this meal it should have cost in the area of 70 euros tops...

Don't waste your time at this restaurant, there are many other good restaurants in Rome that would appreciate your business and are not living off their Trip Advisor reviews and hoping for tourists that don't know any better.