“Wonderful experience”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Description: Warm atmosphere in the heart of Trastevere with fantastic, well-presented food. Great place for authentic Italian dishes as it is mainly frequented by locals.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Typical osteria in Trastevere. Great food, espcially pasta and fish! It's a bit pricey but worth every penny.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,022)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were really looking forward to dining here. I ordered the grilled prawns and as I took my first bite, I realized that they were practically raw. My husband ordered the stuffed calamari. His tolerance for rare seafood is much higher than mine, so we switched meals. The calamari was tough and flavorless. We only took a few bites of each meal, and then left the restaurant. About eight hours later we both developed identical symptoms: muscle weakness, trouble swallowing, chest pain, and I couldn't bend my fingers. This lasted about 12 hours and gradually subsided. We were told later by a doctor that we probably had a mild case of food-born botulism.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

"La Gensola" is located in Trastevere, I would say you wouldn't end up there unless you don't know the place in advance. It's not on the main road of Trastevere, but it will certainly add a value to your visit to the area.
Beside the classic Roman food the restaurant provides also Sicilian food. The combination might sound "alternative", but the food is actually very traditional and absolutely excellent.
Some "farinata" was included for all the guests as appetizer.
I had pasta carbonara as main dish and cannoli siciliani as dessert, both outstanding.
The restaurant itself is also very nice furnished and the service good.
It's not the cheapest restaurant of course, but it worth the price of an authentic experience.
I look forward to go back!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We picked this restaurant out of our Rome guidebook. We did not book but I would recommend doing so as everyone who wandered in without a reservation after us were turned away. The food was fresh and the wine was excellent, you won't find much better for seafood. Well worth a trip over to this side of the river as the area is charming.

Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This place is amazing. Portions are small but delicious. Highly recommended for foodies. We booked for the same evening and could onynget the tavle by the door, but the experience was nonetheless exquisite. Lovely service. Should be much higher on the trip advisor list. Probably not up there because not many tourists.

Been to La Gensola? Share your experiences!