“Still one of my favorites”
Review of Evangelista

Evangelista
Ranked #3,878 of 12,684 Restaurants in Rome
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I've been to this restaurant about a half dozen time now and the food is always excellent. The carciofo al mattone (artichoke cooked under a brick) is still one of the best appetizers I've ever had at any restaurant. It's simple, yet incredibly good. The tagliata di manzo (sliced steak) was very flavorful and tender. The mille foglie with zabalgione another delight. The staff is very attentive and the place is always filled with the government elite (historically a liberal gov hangout).

Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have been coming to this restaurant since 1998 and have never been disappointed.We would not come to Rome if we could not have the Artichokes compressed by brick(Carciofi al Mattone)!My wife had the artichokes for appetizer and for her main course.I too had the artichokes for my starter and for my main course,I had a wonderful filet of beef perfectly cooked to my liking with porcini mushrooms and potato.My friend Ascanio chose a Barolo 2003,Bricco delle Viole,Vayra!Heaven!
Remember no wines taste good with Artichokes!So chose your wine for the second course unless you are having artichokes again.
Adele,second generation,English speaking owner, looks after you like her family.Evangelista is closed on Sunday.
Interesting ,this evening other guests included Greek wine-making Monks who came to taste the wonderful cuisine and of course had the artichokes.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel concierge. When we arrived, we were initially the only ones in the restaurant. Our group arrived in stages, so we initially opted to wait for all to be present before we ordered drinks. By the time the rest of our group arrived another rather big group arrived. The owner and wait staff became very preoccupied with this new party and inattentive to our party and another table with locals. We had to continuously summon the owner and waitress to our table. The owner explained the menu to us but she seemed to be a bit annoyed with a group member who questioned the contents of a dish due to dietary restrictions. While our waitress was very sweet, she was being pulled in too many directions by the owner. The owner would not allow for her to answer any menu or wine questions. I guess the owner wanted her to be seen but not heard. I was completely put off by this blatant disrespect as I believe that the owner severely hindered the waitress' ability to provide us quality service. I'm sure that the owner is very passionate about her food but I think she took that passion to another level. We felt so bad for the waitress that we tipped her personally way more than we would've under ordinary circumstances.

As far as the food, the Carciofi al Mattone was good though a little mushy. One friend ordered the tuna entree but had to send it back because it was too rare for her liking. Another friend ordered I believe the gnocchi which was good. The rest of us had the fish entree which was also good. Too bad the poor service by the owner overshadowed what should've been a great experience.

1  Thank Tripdiva4
Reviewed October 9, 2012

this is a slightly above average restaurant in the Jewish Ghetto. The signature artichokes are lovely but the rest of the dining experience is nice but not exceptional. The outside seating area has an overhang that totally covers it, so it is enclosed, so if someone lights up and you dont smoke, watch out. the service and atmosphere were fine but the tuna was overcooked and lack luster. the pastas were generally good.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I am from Rome and perhaps this is my favorite restaurant in my city. The food is delicious and the price is reasonable given the high quality of the dishes. The lady who owns the place is very nice and speaks English. Don't miss the "carciofo al mattone", it's the house special and you won't be disappointed.