“Fabulous authentic Roman fare” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Da Pancrazio

Da Pancrazio
Ranked #1,771 of 12,043 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
“Fabulous authentic Roman fare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We picked this restaurant based on the proximity to our hotel and the good reviews on Tripadvisor, and we were not disappointed. It appeared we were the only tourists in the place, although this might have been because it was January and off season. In any case, plenty of locals eating in a restaurant is always a good sign.

Based on another Tripadvisor recommendation, we ordered the pea, bean and ham starter, which was enormous and exceedingly tasty. It's hard to believe that something so plain could be so delicious. For my main course I ordered sweetbreads, which is a delicacy that is almost impossible to get in the UK these days, after the whole Mad Cow thing. What a delight! I am drooling even thinking about them now.

We topped the whole thing off with some delicious Tiramisu and downed a bottle of marvellous Italian red. Pure heaven!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Leopard_Lil

• Greek first
Vancouver, Canada
“AMAZING! NON TOURISTY, TRADITIONAL ITALIAN FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Ok, so I say that this is a non-touristy restaurant in a loose sense. Yes, it is where tourists eat, but doesn't have the crap tourist menu you'd find close to any attraction in the city. My mom and I had just left Venice, where all you eat is "tourist" Italian. Bland pizza and pasta. So we booked a Food Tour for our first night in Rome. It was a walking tour that took us for a traditional antipasto platter and then out for dinner. Our dinner was at Da Pancrazio. We had no idea the history this restaurant had and thank god we had a tour guide who could explain it all. If you're lucky enough, the bottom floor has tables situated amongst actual Roman ruins that have been preserved well. We sat upstairs and the atmosphere was very cozy and dark. Our tour guide ordered our food for us and she ordered traditional Roman dishes. I am generally a picky eater, but I have to say everything was AMAZING!! We had the Vignorola con crostini (green peas, artichokes and fava beans stewed roman style with bruschetta bread) and it was awesome. I never would have ordered this had our tour guide not done so, but I was thoroughly impressed. It was hearty and had great flavour. We also had a pasta e ceci (chickpea soup with pasta). I could have ate 4 bowls of this. It was a delicious thick soup and so flavourful. The last dish we had was the Bucatini all/Amatriciana (pancetta, pecorino cheese and tomato sauce). It sounds boring, but it was anything but. So simple, yet so satisfying. So pleased we finally had great Italian pasta! All in all, we left very satisfied and stuffed! I would recommend this restaurant for traditional Roman food that you might not normally try.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank C A
Dallas, Texas
“Good meal in interesting surroundings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We had a very pleasant and tasy meal here a couple of days ago. The swordfish carpaccio was very good, with a light smoked flavor. My wife had the spaghetti amatriciana which was the best version of that classic Roman dish we had during our stay here. The fried artichokes were also very good and quickly dissapeared. For main course I had the fried baby lamb chops and my wife the saltimbocca. Again, both were very well prepared. After dinner we went downstairs into the basement which incorporates the Roman era ruins of a major thater that had been in the area. We liked this place alot and would gladly return.

• Visited January 2013
Applegate, Oregon
“Excellent Roman dishes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I had dinner at Ristorante Da Pancrazio one evening during a five-night stay in Rome. The location is perfect, on the quiet little Piazza del Biscione, close to the busy Campo de' Fiori. We were given a table in a room at the front of the restaurant, which looked out to the piazza. The restaurant website shows pictures of other rooms with vaulted stone ceilings, but we were very pleased with our seating, which was comfortable, with plenty of space between tables.

We both chose the same fixed menu of classic Roman dishes. Our first course was Bucatini all'Amatriciata (hand-rolled pasta with a spicy tomato sauce with pancetta and pecorino) -- perfectly delicious. Our second course was Saltimbocca alla Romana. Dessert was Tiramisu. We also shared a bottle of a full-bodied red wine from Lazio.

Our waiter was professional, efficient, and friendly. The prices were very reasonable for an excellent meal. It was our favorite restaurant in Rome.

• Visited November 2012
venice, Fl
“Historic Rome and Really good Food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

We were so glad we found this restaurant, located on the fringe of Campo Di Fiori. The food was excellent and the history of the building made everything special.This was the theatre were Caesar was murdered by Brutus. You can walk down into it and imagine the drama.
They have wonderful pasta and really good wine. I would go there again.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Been to Da Pancrazio? Share your experiences!