“Great Real Italian Food in an Italian atmosphere”

Hostaria-Pizzeria da Cesare
Reserve with
Hostaria-Pizzeria da Cesare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,298 of 13,322 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prati
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Near to the hotel that I stayed in the Visconti Palace Hotel. Got there early by Roman standards. The Chianina steaks were great with lashings of red wine and the dessert of the ricotta cheese and pear tart was fab. No fussy service, just good prompt service from the waiter and when you are hungry and are there to eat, thats what is important. 40 euros for that all - reasonable

2  Thank melody8888

Reviewed March 30, 2013

I dined here on a recommendation from Chef John Nocita, the founder of the Italian Culinary Institute in Calabria. When an Italian Master chef suggests a restaurant for others, he is putting his reputation on the line. This was an excellent recommendation.

The decor is old school, as the restaurant has been around since the 60's, but don't let this fool you. The food was absolutely perfect from start to finish, The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact that there were only two of us, and that I could not order more.

The wine list is great, and the service second to none.

Hostaria Da Cesare is a must in Rome!

2  Thank Triper5554
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Along with my wife and two friends, my wife and I returned to Da Cesare for lunch after having dined there 8-9 years ago. We were not disappointed. The service was excellent and fun (one of our servers enjoyed playing jokes on one of out friends--bringing him a large plate with one small piece of pasta on it) and food was incredibly well-prepared.

I was a little worried before we went, having read some of the less-positive reviews of the restaurant on Trip Advisor. We did not, however, experience any of the problems those reviewers reported; our service was excellent and the dishes we had were delicious. The complaint about "high prices" I read in some review should be taken with a grain of salt--while there are some very expensive dishes on the menu, there are plenty of good dishes that are reasonably priced. For example, my saltimbocca was only 14 Euro and the fried anchovies were 12 Euro. Except for my wife's half portion of risotto with white truffles (well worth the higher price), we all had dishes for under 15 Euro.

All four desserts we tried were excellent.

2  Thank C56
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Had pasta w/mushrooms, house wine (.25l), desert, bottle of water for €26.50. Service is good, food tasty.

2  Thank steves94114
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Sunday September 16 2012; lunchtime and the fourth day in Rome have been eating in different places form excellent till oke. Da Cesare was not one of them. They seemed to be in a hurry and we couldn't get a clou why. The starter was still oke (not more), but the "secondo piatto" was far below the level you expect for € 28,= in Italy. It looked as if the food had been waiting to be served, also because the waiter looked around a corner (why so sneaky) if we had finished the starter already.
In short: poor value for money and strange behaviour. The signboard of "Tripadvisor" with 4 big dots prominently placed seemed not to be a good reference. We read a review of the white jackets, well that must have been some years ago because now they were rather dirty and not white anymore. We finally left with a kind of "fawlty towers"-feeling.

3  Thank bargazimba