“Poor value for money”

Hostaria-Pizzeria da Cesare
Reserve with
Hostaria-Pizzeria da Cesare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,586 of 12,871 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Prati
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Sunday September 16 2012; lunchtime and the fourth day in Rome have been eating in different places form excellent till oke. Da Cesare was not one of them. They seemed to be in a hurry and we couldn't get a clou why. The starter was still oke (not more), but the "secondo piatto" was far below the level you expect for € 28,= in Italy. It looked as if the food had been waiting to be served, also because the waiter looked around a corner (why so sneaky) if we had finished the starter already.
In short: poor value for money and strange behaviour. The signboard of "Tripadvisor" with 4 big dots prominently placed seemed not to be a good reference. We read a review of the white jackets, well that must have been some years ago because now they were rather dirty and not white anymore. We finally left with a kind of "fawlty towers"-feeling.

3  Thank bargazimba

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We spent just 2 days in Rome.
As a restarant for the New year's eve we choosed Da Cesare. First because they offered not only fixed menu, but there was a possibility to choose from the standart menu too.
Meat and fish was good quality, for an acceptable price. We paid about 60 euros person, for antipasto, primo, secondo, coffee and wine.

3  Thank Inga P
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I know this restaurant from several previous visits and have never been disappointed. Tonight I was alone and felt underwhelmed at first. The young waiter was fast and knew the menu intimately, and is efficient- he served ten tables alone.
But the starter courses were small and not exactly as fresh as I would have expected. I eat smoked salmon and swordfish, followed by a mixed seafood salad and they were really small portions and quite indifferently tasting. After I moaned I received a decent sized plate of excellently prepared grilled squid. And then a small portion ( which I asked for) of very good pear and ricotta cheesecake. Add a drop of wine, two bottles of water and the bill was €47. Not expensive. Yes I will return, but I won't put it down on my list of first choices.

2  Thank David N
Reviewed July 2, 2012

A very nice restaurant a little outside tourist trial, but easy to find. It has charm and a touch of luxury with waiters in white jackets. There are lot of locals eating, and some of them are obviously regular guests. We were introduced to Da Cesare of friends used this restaurant more or less daily during their stay some years ago. And I fully understood them.

Large selection of wines, very good food, friendly staff, quiet and value for money.

3  Thank Stein S
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Our dinner at "Da Cesare" was one of the highlights Rome trip. The quality of food and the perfect service - simply wonderful. And the prices are extremely ok.

4  Thank Robert M