“Dessert to die for!!”

Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Aventine
Reviewed September 26, 2016

My husband and I stumbled upon this ristorante while staying at the Aventino Hotel. We wandered in late one evening for dessert, because it had such a romantic setting. We were unable to sit outside that evening because it started to rain, but the caramel crème brule, more than made up for it. I am not a connoisseur of wines, but the owner helped me pick out a delicious wine to compliment my dessert. The next evening we went back again for dinner and was not disappointed. The food was delicious and our young waiter the next evening was a pleasure to converse with. A little pricey, but the food and staff more than make up for any expense.

Reviewed September 26, 2016

After two days on business trip to Rome, moved to the Hotel Aventino for 3 nights... this restaurant in located in the same primarily residential area and close to the hotel... and so a natural to at least try once. After the first time, I came back a second night for more from the menu. Sat outside both nights.

First night was exquisite. Had beef carpaccio as a starter and tuna as a main course. Both were marvelous. Service was attentive, quick but not intrusive. With a glass of wine but no dessert the 40 euro price seemed reasonable. (Interior room immediately inside the resto door had 3 or 4 tables busy. Outside seating seemed to allow a bit more room at table and distance from other diners.)

Second night... a bit different but still good. Service was a bit erratic although there was no one sitting in the room just inside the door when I arrived for the same 8 PM reservation time. But was it the group of 6-8 priests that arrived shortly after I did that made the regular wait staff disappear inside, the bread-in-a-bag arrive late, and the time between starter and main course extend well past the previous evening?

To the food,,, fried risotto with cod was just too heavy for me. Better to have had the shrimp starter instead. The octopus, on the other hand, was marvelous. With another glass of wine (which the owner "refreshed" a bit when the main course finally arrived), this bill was 41 euro.

And service was different the second night, I did get the meet the owner who was himself doing most of the service to the outside diners. That included learning about the cat he was feeding and training to be respectful of the diners.

If back in Rome, certainly would visit again especially if staying in one of the Aventine hotels. From elsewhere in Rome probably a taxi ride for most people although there is a metro station that's maybe a 10 minute walk up and down the hill. Suspect reservations are essential on Friday, Saturday. Best to make one for any night.

Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had an excellent dinner here yesterday evening to celebrate her birthday.

Food, service and ambience were all faultless, and the proprietor was charm personified. The menu was innovative, offering something a little different from the identikit menus on offer elsewhere.

Given the quality of the experience our bill of €120 for three courses each plus bottle of fizz and an extra glass of red, coffees and a grappa for me represented very good value for money: this was genuine fine dining and I doubt that one would eat better anywhere in Rome for that price.

One of the reasons we booked Apuleius - apart from the good reviews on here - was its closeness to our hotel (5 minutes' walk) but if you're staying more centrally the experience is well worth the taxi fare.

We're here for another couple of days and will be making a return visit for sure!

Reviewed September 15, 2016 via mobile

Having spent a week in Abruzzo we were happily spoiled by dinners made fresh. Oh the last night, after a few days in Rome, we met Yum. We sat outside until we were warned a thunderstorm was rolling in. Happily moved inside and the night and dinner, didn't feel interrupted, part of the magical night. By the way, if you enjoy dining well, here is your spot.

2  Thank RiverSelkie
Reviewed August 7, 2016

This restaurant seems in the middle of a residential area so a car or taxi might be needed. The very helpful and engaging owner was ready to help with the menu and we were not disappointed, with well cooked and presented meals and a good and very reasonable wine list. We will be back.

Been to Apuleius? Share your experiences!