“Culinary Perfection”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Aventine
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My mother and I ate here two years ago, and we have never forgotten the wonderful flavors of the dishes we had, from appetizers to desserts. When we learned that our Mediterranean cruise would leave from Rome, we knew we would be returning to Apuleius. Once again, we had a dining experience that our taste buds will never let us forget. The owner is also wonderfully welcoming and service is impeccable. I am at a loss for words to describe the tastes, the experience, and how highly I recommend this restaurant.

Emiliano F, Proprietario at Apuleius, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thanks for spending your culinary time here, I find this really rewarding beyond any other consideration.
Arrivederci at the soonest chance

Reviewed June 11, 2013

very simple entrance from outside no idea about how nice and warm is inside , but food is faboulus, Italian menu with fresh ingredients and not the usual things, beautiful presentation

Hello Baltimore, nice to hear from you.You're right! The outside needs some improvement, but I still think that food and interiors should be the surprise for those like you who go beyond appearance. Arrivederci both in Rome or Baltimore

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed in a hotel close to this restaurant that had Apuleius on its list of recommended restaurants. I'm so happy that we chose it because it was so good that we ate here both nights while in Rome! It was one of the best meals I've ever had and certainly one I'll always remember. I would definitely say that my husband and I are very particular and we're harsh critics of restaurants but Apuleius really wowed us. For our appetizer, we shared the baked bundles stuffed with Pecorino, braised pears, honey and nuts. It was a delicious delicate pastry, stuffed with braised pears and nuts on a bed of cream sauce with honey on the side. AMAZING!!! For my entree, I had the homemade smoked wheat ravioli with pumpkin and hazelnut (YUM!) while my husband had the baked Turbot fish stuffed with mushrooms in a light potato crust. The stuffed Turbot was so phenomenal that we had to go back the next night so I could get it. The dessert was also fantastic. My husband opted for the tiramisu (delicious, interesting and non-traditional) and I had the coffee parfait (ice cream) with meringue and caramel sauce. The entire meal was to die for! The restaurant is very small and intimate. There were only two wait staff, the owner and one other waitress, and they were incredibly nice and accommodating and really added to the experience. I highly recommend that you visit Apuleius if you're in Rome!

1  Thank Janeamschwand

Thanks for your time, spent in Apuleius and at home to write about us.
I really hope in future visits from you, on our side we will always have white gloves.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We went to this restaurant, having read the good reviews here. However, we may have caught them on a bad day. They seemed to be somewhat understaffed, so we had to wait a bit to be seated, then again to be given the menu.

One of us had to ask for a napkin (2 out of our 3 reserved seats had napkins). The waiter took our food order, but then left without taking the order for drinks, so we had to ask another waiter to come and take those orders. Then we had to ask specifically for bread. I'm sure our experience would have been better if they'd had one more person helping them out, but still, the place really wasn't crowded and the service was less than satisfactory.

The food, when it came, was good, and the menu offered some items which are less common in Roman restaurants (such as turbot). However, I was left with a very average impresson of the place.

Emiliano F, Proprietario at Apuleius, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Spradebass,
I perfectly remember the day you came and I feel really sorry about the unpleasant aspects you pointed out. I must admit and apologize about the service fails, but yes you were right, one waiter missed to come with short notice and having very few tables expected to come I mistook and thought that the situation would have been easy to manage; I was wrong and apologize again.
I read that the food was enjoyable and that is my fisrt concern, so may I hope in a future visit from you? I personally guarantee that you will have extra napkin and bread ration for free :)))
Best regards
Emiliano

Reviewed March 31, 2013

As we were staying at a nearby hotel and couldn't face a walk back into the tourist areas, we were recommended this restaurant. The whole area is residential and very quiet, but don't be put off as its only a 5 min walk from Circo Massimo (tour buses stop here too) through pleasant backstreets and the rose gardens. On first impression, the restaurant is very understated and quiet, which can be daunting, but don't be put off. Unlike at home when a quiet restaurant usually means either pretentious or awful, this place actually felt homely and relaxed. The owner and waitress were very welcoming and took the time to recommend dishes. We both ordered the carpacchio to start, which was beautifully presented,rich in flavour and the best I've had - much better than the usual pile of rocket you get. I then had the homemade oxtail pasta which was very good quality and despite being simple, had a depth of flavour and was obviously skillfully made.
I love eating out on holiday in the touristy areas with their cheap tablecloths and standard pizza/pasta menus, but this was worth a go for one evening to experience more interesting and skilled italian cuisine.

Dear Helen,
I really thank you for taking some time to write about us. Running a business requires customers to provide its nourishment, but as an owner I appreciate as well words of rewards like yours. I'm really glad you spent a pleasant stay and look forward on having you here again sometime.
Regards