Trattoria Tritone 1884 - Antonio Camponeschi
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Trattoria Tritone 1884 - Antonio Camponeschi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,855 of 13,204 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trevi
Description: Antonio Camponeschi, is originally from the province of Rieti, Cittareale, with a passion for the traditional cuisine of genuine flavors, for forty years is the soul of this place, who runs with his family with blunt style and quality care. The restaurant is on the historic center of Rome, a few steps from the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps, the local 800 retains its charm. The architecture of the neighborhood opens to a small square, where on summer evenings you eat by candlelight; inside wooden beams, arch ceilings, a period fireplace for cooler evenings and curiosity that gives a touch of atmosphere, a bathroom of 600 in sight! Our kitchen is 'dedicated to lovers of Roman and Lazio culinary tradition, the lost flavors of the past, the chef puts on the simple dishes full of fantasy. A kitchen away from the big elaboration, made substantially of local products, and the fragrance of herbs, olive oil and bacon. Speciality: A triumph of vegetables, including artichokes and Puntar elle. Among the main courses, alternating tasty soups like bean soup, the typical bucatini amatriciana, ravioli, fettuccine and gnocchi of sweet potatoes, all homemade. And then frying of fish fish; and yet, for meat, the lamb chops and chicken romana. In pastry, the prince is an unforgettable tiramisu all of own production.
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We spotted the restaurant on our way back from a long trudge around Rome. We were seated at an outdoor table tucked beside a bit of greenery and climbing vines. We were lucky to get seated because it got BUSY. The service was efficient though a little slow but as I said, they were busy. We ordered Dried Beef Carpacchio with salad and paper thin parmagiono as a first. OK, this was good! I mean really good! For mains my partner had Roast Lamb with Artichokes - excellent, tasty and tender without falling to bits. I had filet cooked to perfection, rare, with greens and baked zucchini. We shared a very good bottle of Pino Nero. I was humming through my meal. Always a good sign. Hand made gelatto for desert - chocolate, lemon and berry, and espressos of course. It was our 45th anniversary and we did not regret our choice of restaurant. A bonus was we had a lovely chat with a German couple at the next table.
We went back to this Trattoria Tritone on our last day in Rome and were treated like old friends. Meal, again was excellent.
We did realize, after a short time in Rome that you have to ask - or signal- for the bill at the end of the meal. No rushing customers out the door and a lot less flipping of tables. I appreciated being able to sit and people watch to my hearts content without feeling shoved out the door.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,304)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stopped here for a late lunch, our hotel was across the street, they have also a nice terrace in front. Waiters gave us the normal menu kindly, 'forgetting' about the special lunch offer. When we said we want it, they suddenly changed mood and started expedite us. The food was nor bad, nor great, 4 course menu nothing special, but for good price. Until the end of the meal we were almost ignored, I couldn't say I minded, but it's not nice behavior anyway. Would not return.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We walked by this place on the way back to hotel at the exact moment we were about to pass out from hunger.

We sat down and it took a while to get served. They took our order and brought drinks and food pretty promptly. Then it took WAY too long to get the check. Like crazy long. And I was surprised by the prices for what you get but then again it is on a main boulevard.

It was a light lunch so can't totally comment on the food - but expect a price tag for what it is that seems a bit out of whack.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Good... but so is most every place in Rome.

We arrived late one night and just spotted the place on a whim. The host asked if we had reservations. We said no, so he sat us inside and delivered us each a glass of complimentary wine. (Aperitifs are, like, a thing in Italy.)

In time, a table outside opened up, so we were ushered out there.

Our waiter, God bless him, seemed in a terrible hurry the entire night. As I discussed wine with my girlfriend, she asked him, "How is your rosé?"

"Rosé!" he said, and wheeled away.

He came back with the rosé and started pouring.

We learned pretty quickly that saying *anything* in this guy's presence meant that we were ordering it.

I had the spaghetti carbonara, which was nice, but nothing incredible. My girl had some sort of pasta with dried chili peppers inside. She hates spicy stuff, but I love it... so I tried one. I'm still panting, a week later.

At least one waiter made a point of singing while grinding pepper for neighboring tables. But it seemed like he was mocking his guests, not legitimately performing. F that guy.

A nice touch: When you're finished with your meal, they give you a souvenir ashtray. Because it's Rome and everybody smokes all the time.

Trattoria Tritone is fine if you're in the neighborhood, but it's hard to believe it's your best option.

(It was also the most expensive dinner I ate in Rome. Total damage for two plates of pasta and a bottle of wine - $77.42)

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went to Rome for a couple of days and dicovered this restaurant on our first night. We had an excellent meal, my beef carpaccio was delicious and a very generous portion. My husband had the seafood spagetti, also delicious! The service was brusque and efficient but the atmosphere and meal made up for that!