“Not worth the $$$”

VOI Donna Camilla Savelli Hotel
Ranked #82 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Yes the hotel is beautiful but the rooms are less than expected for the price!
The rooms are just average at best and they told us they had upgraded us to a deluxe executive suite when we checked in. If that was an upgrade, what are the other rooms like.
Very, very average.
We have paid less for better rooms in this area.
It was just a bed, a desk and a chair.
Yes, a super nice bathroom with separate enclosed shower which was great.
I think it was considered executive deluxe because of the shower and end of a long hall which gave us views out of several windows facing different directions.
We had to call the front desk to get a room service menu and we were just looking for maybe dessert and coffee.
Gelato was on the room service menu, but we were informed they did not have any.
No gelato in Italy?
Almost impossible to get someone to take a drink order in the lobby area across from the bar.
At almost $500 a night, we would never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bestbet99

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights with an other couple and we all had a great stay. The hotel is located nearby lively Trastevere, but the hotel is all quiet. We had breakfast in the garden under the trees, it was a great way to start the day. There are lost of restaurants close to the hotel and you can walk to most of the attractions. We would like to come back next time again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the second floor towards the backyard and the garden - it was lovely and quiet
1  Thank Julie K
Reviewed July 2, 2013

A beautiful hotel with marble everywhere, oozing character from its days as a convent (on our last day we saw nuns opening up the dark classical chapel inside the front of the building). Friendly helpful service at the desk, including where to catch trams and buses and ordering an airport taxi. Nothing was too much trouble - including keeping our room open for us when we had a late departure. Staff all acknowledge you if they pass you in the hallways. There is a charming courtyard garden where you can eat breakfast. Our room (115) was veryquiet (as we had requested) though it did not look out over the courtyard. The only downside was that the free wi-fi was only available downstairs. Would love to stay there again.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is class from top to bottom. The staff was outstanding, going out of their way to ensure our comfort and every need. Our room was so quaint and unique. It was such a wonderful experience. I will stay there again and again when in Rome!!

Room Tip: The hotel is right hard to find but so worth the trip. Our room was quiet but our travel partners he...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Goodbye forever, Donna Camilla---you broke my heart. This is my 7th stay at the hotel. When it first opened, before the days of TA and other such websites, it was the most delicious secret. My first stay was a complete romantic fantasy. The property was beautiful (still is). You would occasionally see the nuns who still had a partial ownership shamefacedly sneaking a wonderful pastry of two off the breakfast table. The staff were visibly excited to let you in on this secret, and they seemed as happy to be there as the guests---that was a big part of the magic. The first sign that the corporate brutes had taken over came a few years ago when the gorgeous medieval wood-paneled breakfast room was made off-limits to guests and reserved for business conferences. The nuns were banished. At the same time, new rooms that came on stream were smaller, far less lovely, and far noisier than the original ones (the managers need to put double-glazed windows in the new rooms as a matter of urgency!). Most awful was the change in service. The front desk is now staffed with humans whose attitude is “of course I am a professional so I am going to be civil to you but what I really wish is that you would GO AWAY”. The other staff people don’t hide those feelings well, if at all. During this stay it has taken me up to 20 minutes to get a coffee served. It took 30 minutes—and three phone calls—to have my luggage brought to my room. The person guiding me to my room had to try both elevator banks and three different floors before he was able to locate my room. Jet-lagged and feeling ill, I didn’t find this as amusing as he did. And the room faced on to a wall. When I asked for a room change, the front desk person said “But Signora, none of our standard rooms have any view, so there is no point in asking for a change!”. Not what any guest wants to hear, particularly one who knows that’s not true. Anyone staying here for the first time may well be enchanted by the prettiness of the property---it is hard to imagine anything that could be done to destroy the charm of the garden. But for me, Donna Camilla has become just one more swanky snooty business hotel with mediocre to poor service. I’ll always cherish the memories of the past, but won’t return again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank hotelvet
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as part of an Italian tour. The hotels architecture is undeniably exquisite but that was all that impressed me. With no restaurant, no spa facilities, slow service at the small bar, a shower that flooded and an unpleasant noise of clattering plates and cutlery from 6am from the small courtyard outside our room, I deem this hotel less than the advertised 4 stars. Agreeably the panoramic roof terrace has great views over Rome but the pictures on their website are of a function held there. The roof is actually not used, which was another disapointment.

1  Thank 219Gavin_K
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here two nights on a tour of Italy. The building has an excellent entranceway and secure parking. The reception staff were friendly and each spoke 3-4 languages, the porter ensured our baggage was placed in our room promptly.
Our room was executive and had a small balcony over looking the garden. The bed was comfortable and spacious. The bathroom housed a waterfall shower and clean marble facilities.
The breakfast at the hotel held many continental choices and tea/coffee served at the table.
The location is in a quiet area with some excellent restaurants/bars and a small convenience shop a five minute walk away- I recommend pimms good for a cocktail!
Excellent location, excellent staff I would stay here again and again

• Stayed: June 2013