“Ice Cream and fun”

Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Esquilino
Reviewed February 1, 2013

If you've got a bunch of kids and a few adults who love ice cream then this is the place for you. I had read about here on TA and decided that on my next visit to Rome I was going to take our school group there for a treat...and it did not disappoint. Ordering is a little different than here in the USA where we typically queue up. Here you just push your way to the front (after you've paid) and hand the employee your ticket. It was a good experience and a good time.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,524)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

A lot of my friends said i should try it if i go to Rome. I gave it a try. I can't say it's not good and it is very cheap especially in Wednesday it's half price. But it's just not that good. If you happened past there then give it a try but for sure it not worth to go there just for it.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is a great "gelateria" , one of the oldest in Rome. For 1,60€ you can have 3 differents tastes that you can choose in the dozens in front of your eyes, free whipped cream is added with your convenience.
You can sit in one of the numerous tables around.
It's one of the MUST of roman "gelateria"

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Given the rave reviews it has here, I gave it a try. The price is low, but I think it's right: the two flavors I tried (coffee and sabayone) where underwhelming.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I made the 'mistake' of claiming in Siena that I had found my favourite Italian gelati place, and was immediately advised by my fabulous mum that I had no right making such a claim if I hadn't been to Fassi in Rome.

So a few days later (and in Rome) we made the detour to test the theory. I stand by my claim, but was still impressed by the range Fassi had on offer and the service (Cream on top? Of course!).

Rice pudding has no right to be fabulous, but now ranks as one of my favourite flavours. The stracciatella (my objective gelati guzzling benchmark) was also top notch.

The only downside is that in 130 years of business, the local neighbourhood hasn't kept pace with this friendly local business. If it weren't for such a strong recommendation, I would have turned back blocks before we got there - learn from my experience, and keep walking, you won't regret it.

Been to Palazzo del Freddo Giovanni Fassi? Share your experiences!