“The Best Seafood Restaurant in Rome”
Review of La Grotta Azzurra

La Grotta Azzurra
Ranked #5,471 of 12,271 Restaurants in Rome
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
dublin
“The Best Seafood Restaurant in Rome”
Reviewed March 24, 2009

I am frequent visitor to Rome and know this restaurant very well .I think there has been some confusion with postings on this restaurant as La Grotta Azzurra at via Monza has always been a seafood only restaurant no meat served here at any time . The formula is simple no menu to fuss about with ,they begin with an approx twelve course seafood antipasto with wine included, featuring smoked salmon , oysters , mussels, whitebait octopus,razorfish,sea urchins squid,,clams,risotto & pasta after which point you can continue on with grilled lobster , langoustine, seabass etc followed by fresh fruit , dessert, coffee, and complimentary liquers.La Grotta Azzurra is a top quality seafood restaurant with great sevice and reasonable price structure , do not expect to find many tourists here ,this is the real deal, a true Roman gem, go there and enjoy, you will not leave hungry

2 Thank Dublinrules

Ames, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Seafood in Rome”
Reviewed October 2, 2008

Service was excellent; friendly and helpful. The fish dishes were truly outstanding and the wine was excellent. There were no hesitations to go back for lunch the next day. I highly recommend this restaurant for the traveler who is seeking a modestly priced eating establishment with nothing but the best to offer in everything they do. My fellow Americans: you will not be disappointed, but rather, enthralled and happy you chose this restaurant!

David La Mar
Ames, Iowa
USA

1 Thank Irish-American1961
Toulouse, France
“No qualms about ripping tourists off”
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Family members were touring in Rome with their choir, their meals and hotel were all included in a package. We weren't part of the group, but we joined them at the Grotta Azzurra for dinner. We had no idea how much they were going to charge, we never got a menu or a price, but we went along anyway, which was probably a mistake. You need to use all the buyer beware you've got in that restaurant.

The food they served the group was no better than a 12€ pizzeria. They served a bowl of pasta with a bit of red sauce (not bad but nothing to write home about), then a few slices of razor thin meat in sauce, probably less than 1oz of meat (the sauce was OK, but there was so little of it) and the smallest slice of cake I've ever had (it would have fit on my pinky and tasted like any old birthday cake you'd buy at a grocery store). Trouble is they charged us 75€ for 2 adults and one child. RIP OFF!

We left hungry and totally annoyed. We told the roman tour guide how we felt and she agreed it was a lot of money for what they served.

Moral of the story: at Grotta Azzurra they have no qualms about ripping off American tourists that they'll never see again. Really really bad value for money.

1 Thank JoinUsinFrancePodcas
New Jersey
“Grotta Azzura”
Reviewed June 15, 2008

I went to this restaurant on a student tour and it was excelent. It was my first night in italy and I just loved the food there. The pasta and the pork was very good, but I give this restaurant 5 stars because of it's incredible lemon cake which I would love to know what it was called so I could make it. This is the first restaurant I will go to when I return to rome with my family this summer!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Excellent seafood restaurant in Rome. Based on a kind of set menu (40-ish euro/pp - but you can oredr a-la-carte), you...”
Reviewed April 4, 2008

Excellent seafood restaurant in Rome. Based on a kind of set menu (40-ish euro/pp - but you can oredr a-la-carte), you will be stuffed with around 10-ish appetiser (amazing fried baby octopus, boiled octopus seafood salad, oyseter, smoked salmon, tiny blue fish, ...), 2 pastas (spaghetti with clams, scampi risotto), cool down with a lemon sorbetto and get ready for some more main courses (mix battered fried seafood - prawns, calamari, ... or mix grilled seafood - tiger prawns, seabass, ...). It ends with a tray of fresh fruit and soma local spirits (grappa, limoncello, mirto, ...)

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook