“Wonderful”

Ranked #307 of 3,642 Rome B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

This place is a hidden gem! From the moment we arrived, which was early in the morning, Paolo came to greet us, arriving on his Vespa. I stayed here for 5 nights in June 2013 with my husband and 6 year old son. The staff were wonderful, nothing was too much trouble for them. Our room was serviced daily and we ate our continental breakfast on the terrace each morning. We stayed in the Blue Room which had a queen bed and single bed with our own large bathroom. We shared a communal kitchenette and sitting room, with free WiFi and a computer and printer available for use. We found it easy enough to get around from here, most times we just walked as to take in the sights. I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone who is in Rome to see Rome and wants a clean tidy apartment

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tallahassee, Fl
Reviewed January 11, 2014

My wife, daughter, and I stayed one week at Arches Bed and Breakfast for one week in late October 2013. We were lodged in the Blue Room. The place was clean, comfortable, and strategically placed only 2 blocks from the metro. For a reasonable fee, the management arranged for us to be picked up at the airport; when our visit was over, they arranged for our transportation back to the airport (in the early hours of the morning). There was an expresso machine in the kitchen that made delicious expresso coffee and there was always pastries, yogurt, and milk available for us in the kitchen too. We would definitely return to this bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: All the rooms (there are 3) appeared quite nice. We thought the Blue Room was the nicest, but you de...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Nelson, New Zealand
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place is the best!! Was travelling with my parents and my partner and stayed here for 4 nights in September (Sorry only just got around to reviewing!!).
Extremely easy to get to, only a short walk from the metro. Once we arrived Paolo gave us all the info we needed to know about Rome.. where to go and when, best geletaria(it was heavenly), non-touristy restaurants, pastry shops..etc. Gave us his number in case we ever needed help.
Pantry and fridge was restocked everyday with milk, bread, juice, yoghurt, croissants.. everything we needed.. as well as coffee pods! We lived off amazing Italian espresso and were given full rein of the coffee machine.
We all absolutely loved this place, Paolo was the perfect host and made us all feel so welcome. I would have no hesitation recommending this place to anybody going to Rome.
Will definitely be staying here again - hopefully in the near future!!
Thanks Paolo!!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I would highly recommend the Arches to anyone who wants a very clean and comfortable place in a fantastic location. The room and bathroom were both good size and the kitchen area was spotless. The Vatican is a 15 minute walk and the subway is about 5 minutes. There are plenty of restaurants and good shopping (not the tourist places) within a short walk. I only stayed here for one night, but I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Windham, Maine
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Do not look any further......the price is right, clean, comfortable and in the perfect spot. We actually stayed at both Arches. Our first leg of the trip was on Via Bettlo, awesome spot. Some great places to eat in walking distance, markets, metro. About a 15 min walk to the entrance to the Vatican Museum. A bit farther for St. Peter's square, which was on the far side of where we were.
We were in the Yellow room...3 of us, plenty of room. I loved the self service kitchen, our breakfast items were placed in a cupboard, and we had a shelf in the fridge. We could go help ourselves when we wanted and could cook a meal also.

On the second leg of the trip we stayed at the other location a few blocks away. I can not remember the address......it was #12 . This was in a perfect spot also, we stayed in the Blue room with a balcony. Both places were clean and comfortable and close to the metro and the bus lines.

Paolo was an EXCELLENT host, we could not of done what we did without his advise. This was a trip of a life time for us and Paolo made us feel comfortable and like family. THANK YOU PAOLO!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Tour Rome and you will notice that the arch is a foundational tenant of the Roman architectural style. The Arches takes it name from the many hallway and window archways in this legal second floor B&B three flat apartment. The windows look out on a fantastic courtyard or a neighborhood gelato depending on your view. I had a chance to see every room as I was the first person to arrive that day, each room is very spacious, clean and comfortable. Each room has it's own bathroom with bath/ shower or both, my room the blue one even had a bidet! The green and blue rooms have private enclosed terraces that could be hangouts or room for extra guests in warmer times. Overall I had a pleasant stay at the Arches considering it home for three days .

The best aspects of the arches are:

1. The location is convenient, quite and has it's own local flavor. From Termini, Ottaviano is a 15 minute ride on the A metro line. It is an easy transfer from the FCO train with luggage as there are elevators and ramps. On arriving you will find within a four block radius, an organic grocery store, wine bar(wine + buffet for 8 EU!), bank, pharmacy, theater, restaurants, cafes and a few artisan clothing stores. There is also a 24 hour pastry shop Dolce Maniera that is out of this world I wound up stopping there every time I walked by (note the text book Italian dialogue for ordering pastry).

2. The flat felt like home with a kitchen ready for pasta , sofa and computer w/printer. There were 3 different locked entrances to get to my room so I always had a feeling of safety. In addition during the day there was a porter.

3. The proprietor Paolo was very accommodating. Without asking he showed me the two things I needed to know most, where to find more espresso pods and towels. He spoke perfect English and was extremely knowledgeable of the different areas of Rome. He was also available during the day via TXT message and phone. He got back to me when I had questions.

I have stayed in similar style B&Bs in Europe and in Asia and usually they are run down and smelly. This was surprisingly nice and cheery for my needs. Paolo also told me that sometimes he rents the rooms to families so this might be an option for future visits. A few things to keep in mind, there is no front desk, while they did provide juice, espresso, coffee, tea , yogurt and different packaged roles, I supplemented my breakfast everyday with fresh pastry on my way to the metro. Ciao and have fun in Rome!

Room Tip: The blue room is off the main street.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Sturgis, Michigan
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I'd never stayed in a bed and breakfast, much less one in Europe. I didn't know what to expect: would the host talk my ear off, is it safe, could I get help?

I never should've worried. Paulo at Arches took care of everything. He had a car waiting for us at the airport, we had a swift but uneventful ride from the airport, our driver had our Vatican tickets in hand so we could jump out of the car and into the Papal audience with no delay. Paulo provided us with a map of how to get to Arches from St. Peter's Square (a real godsend, since we were completely turned around and didn't even know in what direction to go upon leaving the Square). When we got there, Paulo gave us a 15-minute overview of everything, his cell number, and said "Good luck. If you need me, call or text." We bumped into him a few times, but we didn't need anything further until we checked out . . . which was just as smooth as checking in.

The price was about half of what a hotel would've cost. The place was immaculately clean and our private bathroom huge. The bed was extremely comfortable. I honestly couldn't have expected more.

Highly recommended.