“Great carbonara”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trastevere
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We were recommended this place by a few locals when we asked where we could get a great carbonara...it didn't disappoint! A carafe of house wine and huge plate of carbonara late, authentically made with guanciale and my boyfriend and I were very happy.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

We stopped here on Christmas for a light supper (after a a big lunch with local relatives), and the food and atmosphere was exactly right. Clientele was mainly Italian (some clearly local), we ignored the impressive wine list for the drinkable house red, and had pizzas and mixed salad, all tasty. Even the espresso - usually dreadful in restaurants - was nice, not too long a shot. The only two negatives: the wait staff was diffident, and took persuasion to come for the coffee order and the bill, and the awful Christmas music they were playing outside filtered in a bit. Pizza is under 10eu, pasta a bit over, so very affordable, and we didn't have any unexpected charges like some posters have.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I ordered spaghetti vongole and my husband had pasta with squid and tomatoes. The squid was overcooked and most of the clamshells were empty with no foot in them. This tells me that the clams were not fresh and the shells were added to the pasta to make it seem as if they were. I've experienced this elsewhere, as well as shells that had clams in almost every one of them. Therefore, the food was average. The wine list was extensive and we were suggested a wonderful bottle of wine from a grape we had never heard of. This was the best part of the meal. A 10% service charge was added that we did not expect. Service was slow, we were the last in the room to be served our food yet the first to be seated there and to order. Lastly, there was a woman just outside our room that had a small dog at her feet that was barking and being fed table scraps. Not used to seeing dogs in a restaurant and found this a little off-putting.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

During a recent cruise and tour of the Med, my wife and I joined six others on the tour to eat at ai Spaghettari (note their business card spells ai with a lower case a). Recommended by the tour guide, we were hesitant to pick another restaurant through sheer dumb luck and hope for the best? In absence to the contrary, any recommendation is better than none. And besides, that is where he dropped us off.

We ate outdoors, service was very prompt by Italian standards and we were in and out in an hour. We all had different pizzas and everyone loved them.but what is not to love about a fresh pizza eaten on a sidewalk patio in Rome? They were all thin and crispy and my very selective wife pronounced it the best pizza she had ever had. Mine was also among the best I have eaten in Europe. I also tried an appetizer of stuffed and fried Italian squash blossom at 3 Euros. About 4 bucks. That was one small blossom about 21/2 inches long. The cost was about the same as we would pay for nice pizzas I'm California, including water 25 Euros.

There might be better places to eat informally in Rome, but I would recommend ai Spaghettari if you have the chance! Menu and prices online.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

one pizza 1 antipasto one meat plate,2 beers 56 euro....i asked why and i saw they added some money for service and coperto which was not mentioned on the list....the pizza was good,the meat overcooked and dry,the antipasto was tasteless.the service poor...the place was full of italians,but since i was with an english speaking friend we were cheated as tourists....we payed and went...i was too tired to discuss after waiting for one hour for the food

2  Thank ansasara