“Little gem in Rome...”

Hotel Principe Torlonia
Ranked #371 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Torlonia is my favourite 'sensibly priced' hotel in Rome. It's only a short taxi ride from Termini station, The rooms are a good size, the hotel is well located, wifi is good but patchy, breakfast selection is good, except the 'fruit juice'. Awesome coffee.

Room Tip: 201 or 204 ;)
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Rich_and_Anna

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I've stayed at a number of converted mansions in Rome and they have all had their problems from plumbing to AC to small rooms. This place however has been great. A corner room on the second floor had a balcony and two large french doors, a good size shower and tranquil views. The staff were remarkably friendly and the breakfast room had a great view of the tranquil garden where you could sit outside read or just relax. Of course a few minor things as no city maps available and no place to put soap and shampoo while you shower were minor problems mentioned by others. Be sure to ask for an upper floor so you don't end up in the basement which was complained about by other reviewers. An added plus is its closeness to piazza Bologna and the metro. I'd surely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Captainspires
Reviewed April 2, 2014

This was ideal for our purposes: a visit to family in Rome. The hotel is located in an upmarket residential area near Piazza Bologna, away from the 'tourist hot-spots'. However, central Rome is easily accessible by public transport, and a taxi will get you to Via del Corso in ten to fifteen minutes in off-peak hours. The room was clean and quiet, the room comfortable, the breakfast copious and delicious, and the dawn chorus of a few birds just sublime.

Room Tip: I would avoid the room downstairs near the reception, as it may be noisy, but would recommend going...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank chausiku
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I believe anyone who paid 4 star price won't expect living in the basement or lobby. When we arrived, the concierge gave us a basement room, it smells damp and no much light, so we suggested changing the room, then the lady gave us a tiny room in the lobby, just cross her desk, when I closed the door, I could hear phone ringing very clearly. We asked if we could upgrade the room and we don't mind if it will cost more, but she said the hotel was fully booked and there was no other options, so we had to take the basement room, which turns out to be a disaster. My next door is kitchen's door, the lady who preparing breakfast kept coming in and out, shutting door frequently, the noises successfully kept us awake from 5:30am to 7:00am. So next day we had to take the room in the lobby, actually it's another bigger room, the concierge said it's a QUIET room and heard no complaint about it. However it was even worse. The phone kept ringing and the concierge kept talking on the phone, also their computer's mouse made some noises too, I didn't sleep a moment that night. The next morning we were quite angry because we lost 2 nights' sleep, this time they gave us another tiny basement room, I have to say it's better indeed, if you don't mind birds singing in the early morning.

Also this hotel is far from everywhere, at least 750m from nearest subway, if you take train, carry all the luggage and walk such a long distance is a pain.

Room Tip: Avoid basement and lobby.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
ResidentManager2013, Resident Manager at Hotel Principe Torlonia, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Guest
I thank you for your review and the opportunity to reply. Our property is a typical Roman Villa that has been converted to a small boutique Hotel. With this in mind, all the rooms are different in size and positioned in a non-conventional way as you would expect in a purpose build property. Upon checking your reservation, the category of the room you chose on the third party booking engine could have entailed a room in the lower ground floor and I am sure that should you have decided to visit our official website, you would have found different choices that would have been more to your liking.

Had we not be fully booked during your stay, we would have been only too happy to offer you a free upgrade a different category of accommodation. For the “musty” smell, I must assure you that the matter is under investigation from our maintenance staff and is been addressed to; also the door for the breakfast preparation area is in the process of being replaced to avoid any further complaints.

The Hotel is indeed not in the very centre of Rome, but I must stress that the majority of our guests are very grateful for it as after a long day walking in the stressful traffic noise of the Eternal City is very nice to relax in our gardens (a feature I must say rarely seen in a roman Hotel). The tranquillity of the area is clearly marked by your reference to the “dawn chorus”, again a rarity nowadays in the city centres.

The Hotel is clearly marked on the map on our website and the directions are very much detailed and I am sorry if you found the distance from the public transport excessive.

I trust that you would give us another chance on your next visit to Rome and I am confident that should you decide to visit our official website you will find both the accommodation to your liking and also special offers.
Best regards
Antonio Carrieri
Resident Manager

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We were very excited when we first arrived at the hotel as it was raining hard and we had just finished with an appointment at the embassy and were ready to relax. Unfortunately, a sequence of unfortunate circumstances resulted in an overall uncomfortable experience for us. As for the space itself, it is a charming house with some nice features. I wasn't a fan of the material used for the siding, but the integrity of the building seemed to be well preserved. The rooms (and I say rooms because over two nights we were moved into three different rooms...) were all comfortable and updated with a television, SKY television, a shower, desk and a limited supply of toiletries. There was also an attractive atrium built onto the back of the building which served as the breakfast room, which had an outdoor space that would be really nice in the summer.

However, there were many flaws with our experience. When we booked through booking.com, we specifically requested a room with a bathtub. We were given a room with a bathtub, but it happened to be in the grimy basement. We put on a brave face, and ventured down to our room. The basement smelt damp and was extremely hot (actually, the heating in the building was very schizophrenic- either 10* too hot or blowing cold air in all of the public places). The room itself was nice, but had very little natural light, the SKY didn't work, the wifi didn't have a signal, and... upon entering the bathroom.... an infestation of thousands of ants. Of course, I'm not afraid of a few ants. But there was a giant hole in the wall with a stream of them coming out, and I knew that the problem was only going to get worse.

The concierge was receptive to our problems, although she had a very smug look on her face while she was fixing our problem. Within 30 minutes, we moved into another room... in the basement. The room was actually smaller than our previous room and had a broken toilet seat (it was completely cracked down the middle and was sitting in pieces). Naturally, we informed the concierge. She explained that the hotel was fully booked and therefore there were no rooms for us to move into. By the time I had returned to my room, she called to inform me that she would "upgrade us to a superior room" due to the problems with our previous rooms. This was a good sign. We spent that night in the second basement room and were disappointed with how hard the mattress and pillows were. We also noted that the framing around the doors, floors, and quality of the tiling were really poorly pieced together- I have a critical eye for construction and it was obvious that they cut corners with finishes.

The next day after breakfast, I asked the concierge when our room would be available. She informed me that I'd have to move rooms around 2pm. I left my bags with her and explored a bit of Rome for the day. I returned at around 3pm, and was informed of my new room number. She also informed me that my bags were already in my room. Upon entering and searching my new room, which was markedly nicer because it had a large balcony and natural light, my bags were nowhere to be seen. I tracked down another staff member in the corridor who politely found my bag (from another room?) and returned it to me. About two hours later, while I was relaxing and watching television, I received a knock on the door. The staff brought me a large iced bottle of prosecco for my troubles. This was truly nice of them, and helped me relax during my final night at the hotel!

As for the quality of breakfast, it was good enough. For those who like salty breakfast, it was probably lacking as there was only bacon and scrambled eggs. There weren't any cheeses or anything. Additionally, in contrast with the rest of the hotel, the breakfast room was FREEZING cold. I literally wore a jacket while I was enjoying my breakfast.

Finally, I must acknowledge that the concierge did make a copy for me when I asked her to, which was kind of her. She was slightly smug about it, but maybe it's only a matter of cultural politeness.

I would come back to this hotel if they lowered their prices and/or focused on the quality of their basement rooms. I appreciate how much the hotel staff did to atone their mistakes, but I must take the initial mistakes into consideration when providing a review for potential future guests.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kpontar1
ResidentManager2013, Resident Manager at Hotel Principe Torlonia, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear Guest,
let me first thank you for the opportunity to express our utmost apologies
for the mishaps you have experienced and to haven’t met your expectations.

I am glad that you found the rooms you experienced, comfortable and
updated, although with some glitches. The breakfast room is one of the
features of the Hotel, but in extreme weather conditions, like the ones we
experienced at the end of February, can be a bit nippy being literally in
our garden albeit closed in by pvc sheeting allowing the guest to enjoy
the garden view, issue that we are addressing with the upgrade of our
air conditioning system.

Let me reassure you that since we took over the management of the
property back in November 2013, we are effectively implementing a major rehab
in all the areas of the hotel, from the upkeep of the gardens to a swift
changeover of our lighting system to a more eco-friendly one.

Upon checking your reservation, I have noticed that you did in fact
request a room with a bath tub and a nice view, unfortunately we could
not upgrade you to the room with a nice view due to our occupancy, but
we did guarantee the category of your reservation which, as we specify
in the description of the booking engine that you used, could have
entailed a room in the lower ground floor.

As the property is virtually surrounded by gardens and trees and as
the season goes into spring, we face a major increase in “wildlife” activities.

From early morning birds to ants is a challenge that we are tackling with the
due respect of the health and safety of our guests and to avoid grim results.

Let me reassure you that I have also addressed the attitude of the
staff although I must stress that the “smugness” that you have felt
was probably due to the effort of the receptionist with the language
and certainly not due to cultural attitude, in our industry we cannot
afford to display any form of discrimination due to race, religion or gender.

I am glad that the free upgrade to the room with balcony was met
by your approval and I hope that the Prosecco was somewhat mitigating
the issues you found.

I am also confident that should you decide to be our guest again in the future
you will definitely find great improvements.

Thank you again and hope to see you soon in Rome
Best regards
Antonio Carrieri
Resident Manager

Reviewed March 1, 2014

For many years, I have looked to hotels outside the downtown core in Rome for the fact they tend to be noisy. I look for hotels that are easily accessible by bus or by subway within 15 minutes of downtown. The Hotel Principe Torlonia was a great hotel in a great location: a residential area, but close to restaurants, shopping and transport systems. It is a 2 minute walk to an express bus stop and a 7 minute walk to the subway system at Piazza Bologna. The hotel was a private home which has been converted to a 4-star boutique hotel. I had a few misgivings when I was placed in a room near the reception, thinking I would hear other guests checking-in, but I never heard a thing. My room faced Carlo Fea Street and the small parking lot, but again, I never heard a thing. The only think that I could say to improve my stay, and it is only a very small thing, it would be to have like a small shelf in the shower so I would not have to put my shampoo on the shower floor. I would most definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank NovaScotian1
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Based on other reviews we were a little worried that the hotel might be a let down but we can honestly say that we couldn't have had a more pleasant stay.

Upon booking there were no standard rooms left so we had to go for a classic room for a little bit extra. It was well worth the extra money though. The room was incredible. King sized bed, fully operational bathroom and even a little balcony with a table and chairs. Some people might consider the room to be small but you're only there to sleep and wash.

Another thing we were worried about was the breakfast buffet, this again because of previous reviews. And once again we were amazed. There was a huge selection of pastries, bread, cereal and yoghurt and there was even hot eggs and ham. It was truly exquisite. Just what we needed to set us up for the day.

Finally the staff were exemplary. Everyone was friendly, even those who didn't speak English. And when we lost our vouchers for our Vatican trip they went out of their way to help us print off new ones.

We would definitely return to this hotel and recommend it to anyone who asks.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple