“great experience”

Ranked #4 of 46 Gaeta B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“great experience”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Having spent time in Gaeta as a child visiting my grandparents, this was my first time visiting without staying with relatives. A stone's throw from my grandparents' old apartment, for me, Il Quartuccio was a perfect choice: Immaculate rooms in a beautifully restored building, tasteful decor, super helpful and friendly staff, breakfast on a beautiful roof deck overlooking the sea and mountains.

And, if you're the type of traveler who wants to be immersed in how the real people go about their business, its location on Via Independenza--a lively alleyway with old school specialty shops, fruit and seafood vendors--is for you. (But don't worry, everything shuts down at night, so it's extremely quiet after 11 or so.) These shops cater to locals, not tourists, and this alley gives you a window into the sounds and rhythms of another time.

I wish I were eating breakfast on that terrace now.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Annette F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I wanted somewhere a bit special to take my wife for our anniversary. She loves Italy and we knew Gaeta, while being a coastal resort, wouldn't be awash with British tourists. In fact, we didn't see a single Brit in our week there. Il Quartuccio is on via Independenza, a pedestrian-only long street of quaint and authentic Italian shops, restaurants and residential accommodation. It's a real eye opener to walk along here first thing in the morning or during the late afternoon when they're all going about their business - buying and selling fruit, meat, fish across the streets, baking fresh bread and generally creating loads of bustle like only Italians can. The harbour is near to the hotel (1 minute walk) and Serapo beach is about 10 minutes across town. Luigi who runs the hotel told us about the situation on Serapo beach - it's mostly private - but fortunately we were able to use the La Perla private beach as residents of Il Quartuccio - which probably saved us getting ripped off somewhere else.

The hotel itself is set over 4 floors (only about 14 rooms) and we got a superior double room overlooking the harbour on the third. It was immaculately clean, spacious and fresh, as were the public areas of the hotel too. Breakfast was continental and a great selection of pastries, yogurt, cereals, breads, cakes, juices, fruit and coffee - all served on the fourth floor terrace with panoramic views over the town and harbour.

I can't think of anything I would change about the hotel. Everyone was very helpful and welcoming and the room was cleaned every day. It's definitely useful to know a little Italian here as there are only a few English speakers (Luigi was one of them).

We'd certainly return if we visit Gaeta again.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Tom_and_Joni
Cogolin, France
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We had a wonderful few days exploring Gaeta and were so lucky to choose Quartuccio. It is in a great location, full of atmosphere and walking distance to everything. Nothing was too much for Luigi always ready to help us, walking to the waterfront street to personally direct my husband to the handy parking and even finding storage for my bike. I was keen to visit the Modern art gallery but was dissappointed to find it was not open on the days we were there! No problem Luigi to the rescue! He phoned and organised a personal viewing with the gallery! The gallery by the way was well wortth a visit and the staff very accomodating.! As for our room it was very clean, cosy with large french windows. The breakfast on the wonderful rooftop garden, with great views, was an exceptionally good selection amd all very fresh. The staff too were very freindly and attentive. I highly recommend this gem of a hotel and so reasonably priced.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Judeaus
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Luigi was so accommodating! Thank you for going above and beyond while we were in Gaeta. We will have to come back and stay for more than one night next time. The room was so clean! and very pretty. AC in the room worked very well! The location was perfect only a few minute drive, or bike ride to the beaches! We enjoyed Gaeta so much, it was the perfect way to end our 2 week trip around Italy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JoAnna L
Rome, Italy
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I am currently studying in Rome and after exams felt like a short break with a friend before the end of term. I had never visited Gaeta but it is only an hour by train from Rome. What a find beautiful simple resort perfect weather and lots of history. Charming beaches in easy reach by cycle or walking. This boutique B&B lives up to every expectation you may have from previous reviews. Both myself and my travelling companion are former Hoteliers and so our standards are reasonable but high. The rooms are charming, well maintained and simple but modern decor use too of old architectural features. Very quiet location but ideal for exploring the old and new city. The staff especially the Manager Luigi were all excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. All our queries were sorted and he had excellent advice for dinning and exploring the local area. We took standard rooms which were adequate for our 4 nights stay. The roof terrace was superb for breakfast and unwinding before dinner. This place for the price offers many more luxury and personal touches normally only found in hotels of double the price. A wonderful base to enjoy this idyllic spot. We shall be back. A great find indeed.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JonathanR316
Rome, Italy
Reviewed May 14, 2013

In this price range, this is place is hard to beat. It seems recently renovated, it is well kept and clean. The rooms are not big but big enough for a short stay of a few days. The balcony on the roof is a wonderful escape anytime. Wi-Fi is throughout, which is very good.

The service is excellent and the manager is both attentive and friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice and helpful staff.

Internet-connection - there was three different wifi-routers available in our room. Worked good for my Mac, Samsung tablet and Sony Experia phone, not that good for my girlfriend's iPad or iPhone.

Okay breakfast with croissants, Nutella, marmelade, assorted fruits, cheese, ham, yoghurt (no natural though), granola, cornflakes, white bread and freshly made coffe or tea. It wouldn't hurt with like tomatoes or cucumbers or something to go with the sandwiches.

We had one of the more expensive rooms. The room itself was nice, the bathroom okay

BUT

there was no ventilation, neither in the bedroom or bathroom. None at all. We had to open the balcony doors and let them stay open otherwise the humidity would be most unpleasant - it was streaming down the inside of the windows for a while. Unfortunatly the AC wasn't strong enough to keep the room warm (this was in late march) even with the balcony doors closed, so we we're in quite a situation.

I first thought the lack of ventilation and the cold was the reason why I was kinda cold sweating all night through (on a very hard mattress, by the way), but the last night I found out that underneath the regular sheet there was one of those plastic bottom sheets that you have in kids beds in case they will have a nightly accident... I actually used one in my sofa when my dog wasn't a 100% housebroken yet. They are really good at stopping moisture, but also doesn't breath at all - it's like sleeping in your rain gear.

The combination of the humidity, weak AC and the plastic sheet kind of spoiled the whole stay for us. Too bad, since the hotel seemed really sought after regarding other details.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple