“Better than expected!”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 9, 2012

In the main square you might expect over-priced inferior food but we had a really good simple lunch.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed September 2, 2012

After hearing great things about Il Principe while traveling through Italy, some friends and I decided to splurge a little on dinner here one night.
While a little nervous as we didn't have a booking, we were able to get a table outside overlooking the main square in Pompeii. The owners made us feel very welcome and took us through the history of the food, and hence why different items were included on the menu. Coming from Australia, my friends and I didn't quite understand the difference between scampi's and prawns. The owner's son kindly bought one out to show us to clear up our confusion. Just one way this place went the extra mile.
My scampi with orange and asparagus was delightful, but it was my molten chocolate pudding with fresh summer fruits that absolutely stole the show. Absolutely fantastic.
While on the pricier side of places to eat in Italy, Il Principe was worth the cost.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I probably would have been more happy with the nearby McDonalds, but inexplicably this was closed over lunchtime !! At Il Principe, we got indifferent service (OK, we're tourists, but our money is as good as anyone elses), tough bread we didnt ask for but were charged for, poor value and very average pizzas. Overall, a disappointing experience. Readers: walk 3 minutes instead to Hot and Ice...there you will find a charming host, immeasurably better pizza (seriously) and your hard earned Euros will be better spent. Il Principe has much to learn from that pace..............

1  Thank MrGotts
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My girlfriend and I ate at this restaurant last night. We chose it because it looked authentic and charming.

The waiter was very attentive and helpful. The food was OK but not really exceptional. There appears to be a more elaborate menu for locals and a pictures menu for tourists.

At the end of the meal our bill arrived and a 15% cover charge was added. It seems like the thing to do a touristy restaurants around Italy. In addition our drinks were overcharged by a few euros.

It would have been a fairly good meal had it not been for the dodgy bill at the end.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

The owners were very accommodating, they opened the restaurant early for us, 2 days in a row! Mr Carli made us feel very welcome, and explained the history of Pompeii and their ancient Roman recipes. the food was delectable, and their cheesecake dessert was to die for. The price was surprisingly reasonable for the fine dining atmosphere. I definitely would recommend this restaurant to anyone!