“Happy stay with archaeologists”

Agora Hostel Deluxe
Galway, Ireland
“Happy stay with archaeologists”
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

This accomodation is clean, comfortable, convenient with host's hospitality. I was happy the host couple has increadible knowleadge of Pompei, and Italy, because they'd studied about archaeology. If you want to know about Pompei well, I'd like to recommend staying here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Finnish first
Turin, Italy
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We arrived there without any reservations while we were stucked in pompei, no trains and buses during easter !.. The locatin is perfect and the dorm room was very clean and comfortable for a good price. The hosts were very sympathic, we had a lot of fun with them and they told us a lot about Pompei ! Ohh and the typical italian cuisine was more than amazing ! Grazie mille ancora

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank David L
Milan, Italy
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I was travelling around Italy by train and I had my last night in Pompei, before coming back to Pisa. Agorà Hostel Deluxe was the nearest hostel (5 min walking from the train station and the main square). A clean and tidy hostel, with a very friendly and helpful staff! I had a bed in the main dormitory and a "pizza margherita" for dinner. I strongly recommend the lovely indoor garden / terrace!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Larmore
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed in this hostel after reading several good reviews, and seeing a beautiful picture of a pool. Well, the pool is nonexistent, seriously there is NO pool.

I also paid extra to have a private room with a PRIVATE attached bathroom!! My room was right off the courtyard area, and my door was a frosted glass door, so everyone in the courtyard could see my silhouette in my room at night. The glass door also offered no buffering of noise from the courtyard & there were loud obnoxious drunk people right outside my door until 3AM. Actually, there were 2 guys that passed out & slept on the lounge chairs outside my door until morning. But the worst part was that my "PRIVATE" bathroom was outside of my room in the courtyard - so I had to walk past these partiers to get to "my" private bathroom that I paid extra for, only to find out that they had used all my toilet paper & urinated all over the floor & clogged the toilet.

If you are going to sell that as a private bathroom, then have a lock on it & only give the key to the person booked into that room.

This was quite possibly my worst hostel stay OF ALL TIME!!

The owners pretended to care when I explained the situation to them, but didn't really do anything about it. Then later I heard them talking badly about me. NOT COOL!

Avoid this Hostel if you value your sleep, or a clean bathroom - or if you like to get what you paid for.

Room Tip: Avoid any room that is off from the courtyard!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bigskychick
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ok...first off, I highly recommend NOT taking the subway to this dump called Naples. The ride on this subhuman train will leave you wishing you had never visited Italy in the first place. And God forbid you get lost like we did! lol But that's a whole other story. Ok..back to Otello. First of all, don't be seduced by pictures of a pool, night club, swanky garden etc...It's FALSE ADVERTISING at it's finest. The pool doesn't exist and the night club, lol is an at your own risk storage space for your backpacks when you set out for the ruins. Next, your room is directly outside of that swanky garden..lol So if by chance, you are not the social type, you will be kept awake all night by the social types directly outside your room! The lady give you attitude if you dare to eat outside of HER kitchen. We paid for our own room, and were treated like old Italian family coming back home for a visit. And I don't mean that in a good way. The grouchy uncle that doesn't even acknowledge you when you say hi, the grouchy Italian Mom that expects you to eat and PAY for a basic run of the mill salad (7 Euros). No trash cans anywhere! Even in your room. This place is sad, just like the whole of Naples is. Do yourself a favor and skip this literally garbage city. Trust me. You'll thank me later.

Room Tip: All the way at the end for most quiet. However if you get a private room, you're stuck right in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dav777_13
Dorval, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I'm surprised at the positive reviews for this place - but upon closer reading, I assume there's been a change of ownership or management since those positive reviews were posted.

We had booked a private double room online before leaving home. We ended up with an extra bunk bed in our room (and thus little space to manoeuvre). The shower didn't drain properly, constantly flooding the bathroom floor, and was not fixed even when we specifically asked the owners to look into the issue. The lock on our door was iffy at best and I did not feel safe leaving valuables in the room. The promised in-room internet access was non-existent, and it barely worked in the garden, which is a big deal for us as we updated our families daily on our trip progress.

However, the low rating is 100% due to the hostel's evening staff (a husband and wife pair) who were incredibly rude and grumpy throughout our stay, despite our best efforts to be friendly (I speak Italian, so language was not an issue). They continually told us to be quiet in the garden in the evenings (even when we spoke in whispers) yet blasted their TV for hours on end. In addition, they insisted on turning out all of the lights in the garden at midnight, with no advance warning, leaving us to stumble to our rooms in the dark. Worst of all, they continually entered our room to turn off air conditioning and lights, without permission, and entered into a shouting match with us because we had the gall to leave our A/C on for an hour while we went out to dinner (after it had been off all day in 35C heat). When we informed them that other hotels did not have a curfew nor impose A/C time limits, we were told that "if we expected fancy accommodations, we should leave". Honestly, these folks do not belong in the hospitality industry. Avoid this place like the plague!

Room Tip: Dorm rooms have TEN beds, not the usual 6-8. "Private" rooms vary in quality and size. Our...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
CANADA
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed there for one night at the end of July 2013. We enjoyed our stay because we met a really nice couple there, but not because of the room! The interior garden was beautiful, but don't search for the pool! There is none! The light system in the room is really poor. When you open the light in your room, the room beside you will also see the light because at the top of the wall, there is kind of a window where you can see in the other room! The breakfast was good though, but thet tried to charge us twice for breakfast, even if we had pay for it in advance! The Wi-Fi was quick and free, so that is a good thing. Do not stay there for more then one night.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the dorm! too small.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple