“Ideal spot to stay while visiting Pompeii and environs”
Review of Hotel Diana Pompei

Hotel Diana Pompei
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Pompeii
Bracebridge, Canada
“Ideal spot to stay while visiting Pompeii and environs”
Reviewed February 27, 2011

We had a memorable stay in Pompeii not just because of the ruins with its friendly stray dogs, the fresh oranges off the tree or the fantastic weather, but because of the Hotel Diana itself. The front desk staff speak English well, were extremely gracious and helpful. Alessandro in particular was more than willing to share his knowledge and passion of the city's history and answer any questions we had. A substantial breakfast was served in a beautiful room downstairs in the hotel. The triple room we had was one of the smaller ones on the main floor, which suited us because my daughters were usually a few steps away in the lobby using the free WIFI. If you book here, pay attention to the directions they send you! Unfortunately I packed my directions, then customer service staff at the train station in Naples told us to use the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii instead of the Trentialia regional train to Sorrento which stops in Pompeii. Hence we had to drag our luggage to Hotel Diana 20 minutes from the Villa de Mysteri station at nightfall instead of about 30 seconds from the main station. We were lucky to meet some amazing people who were staying at the hotel, had made the same mistake and even helped carry our luggage as they guided us there. Location of this hotel is excellent, in the main area and close to everything but just enough off the street to ensure a quiet night's rest.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed here recently for three nights and it was ok. The location is good for Pompei, it's a few blocks from the ruins. The rooms were very small, the breakfast was less than adequate.

I would stay here again if I wanted a location near the ruins. I would not stay here for business, there's no room in the room to work. The free internet only works in limited spots, it didn't in our room.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We did a tour of Italy from north to south, staying in 8 hotels & this was the best of the lot - including the 4* & 5* ones!
The Diana is lovely; modern, nice furnishings, clean & comfortable; 2mins from railway stn, 10mins from ruins. Wifi is free, the breakfast was good. The staff were really nice - very friendly & extremely helpful. I was sent a lot of information by e-mail when I booked, which was really good. If you are arriving by train from Naples, please pay attention to the info included, I didn't & got ripped off BIG TIME by a taxi driver. It is a long way from Naples - which I didn't realise.
The ruins are a must, but allow a lot of time. Got a bus to Vesuvius and did the trek up to the top - this is fantastic - but make sure you have a good pair of walking boots, also it is FREEZING!!! I wore 4 layers, including 2 coverings for my head - I couldn't feel the tops of my legs (I wore jeans) so recommend thermals. We went in February, but I would still cover up if going in the height of summer....I have never been so cold!
Recommend a restaurant called 'Pizza e Pasta' ...come out of Diana, up the main rd, turn right & it is in the corner to your right. Good food, friendly people & good price.
Definitely want to go back to Pompeii & will most definitely be staying at the Diana.

1 Thank cazzij5
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2011

The staff - who all speak excellent English - are wonderfully friendly and helpful with heaps of great information about the region. I wish I had stayed more than 4 days because there was so much more to see than I knew before I got there. The staff expressed great disappointment that I hadn't emailed them before I arrived so that they could get special gluten free food in, which meant it could only be provided (and brought to me beautifully presented) from the 2nd morning onward.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 19, 2011

We stayed for 4 nights at the Hotel Diana. All of the staff were really willing to help with itinerary/directions/guidance on local transport etc which made things easier as Italy not particularly user friendly for tourists.
Hotel was clean. Breakfast was good. Lovely garden with oranges and lemons. Free internet which meant we could check in online for return flight without any problem. Even use of huge umberallas when it rained which was thoughtful and useful!
Our room was fine - we had room with patio.
Only downfall was that room had a constant faint smell of stale smoke. I think this was because maybe rooms with patio are popular with people who smoke. I would still choose this hotel again but would ask for an upstairs room. Everything else was good and the hotel was good value for money. We only paid 300 Euros for 4 nights.
Overall this was a lovely hotel.

Roslin, Scotland
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Our stay at the Diana was made all the more enjoyable by the staff who were extremely helpful. The room we had was on the ground floor and looked out to the front of the hotel, it was clean and quiet and the en-suite bathroom was spotless. Breakfast was simple but there was lots of it. The ruins at Pompei are literally a 10 minute walk away as are a number of excellent restaurants. Overall we had a great time there and would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Osny, France
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Good location, new, quiet, clean, good service, car parking, etc..
Difficult to find: a pannel or two on the way would be usefull.