“Convenient”

Hotel del Sole 4 stelle
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Pompeii
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel is very convenient to the Pompeii ruins. The price was reasonable. The only problem was that the elevator was broken and they put us on the fourth floor. My 87 year old dad was with us and they would not move our room to a lower floor.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Guineapic

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The good:
- the hotel is so close to the Pompei antique site, and in the center of the nice city of Pompei.
- the staff is one of the most firendly I ever met, they were very helpful and careful for everything.
- the meal at the restaurant are good, with a very interesting price for the daily menu. The staff at the restaurant is very friendly as well.
- free secured parking, free wifi, free baby cot... very cool!

The modern city of Pompei is small but full of nice shops, you can find all the best italian brands if you want to have a quick shopping time! The place counts good restaurants and gelateria as well.

The less good:
- the bed was way too soft and weak
- the shower head was almost clogged by scales, it has to be put urgently in the vinegar!
- during weekends, the square outside is the meeting place for kids at night, with car rodeo and horn competition...

BUT for the price we payed, and considering the good service, this place is really worthing the cost.
Thanks to the Hotel del Sole team :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kactusficus
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Spent 3 nights there in November 2013. The reception staff was always friendly and helpful. The rooms (one single and one double room) and bathrooms were clean and equipped with closet, table, chair and tv with italian stations. The a/c worked ok as heating. Breakfast was good, empty things were filled up quickly by the staff. There was also a locked parking space for guests, which was quite essential for us with the rental car. There is also free wifi, you have to get a new code after a day. The hotel is within a very short (50m) walking distance to the back entrance of pompei ruins. The Santuario del Madonna del Rosario (pilgrim church) is a 10-minute walk away.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mika_1710
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed October 2013. The hotel description on Booking.com says of rooms: "Some overlook the Vesuvio and the archeological site, while others overlook the garden." Well, they don't. The one we were offered overlooked a shabby rear of another building and service areas. However, when I complained we were moved to a room with a view towards the Sanctuary and over a tiny garden, which was very nice. Indeed overall the staff were exceedingly obliging, though I suggest you note you want a view at booking if it is important to you.

The rooms are a decent size, in good decorative order (if a little old fashioned) with large bathrooms. We found the beds very comfortable.

Breakfast is very good with a range of meats, cheese and sweets cakes and breads, served buffet style. The coffee could have been stronger.

One entrance to the ruins is a 2 minute walk away. The situation for stations is more complex. Pompei Scavi is on the Sorrento line and is a 15 minute walk away. Pompei station is much closer - perhaps 5 minutes walk - but is on the Poggiomarino line, which has much less frequent services.

Pompei is quiet at night once the day trippers leave (say after 8 pm) so not a place for party animals, but a good choice of a base if you do not want to stay in Naples itself (its about 30 minutes from both Sorrento and Naples).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Epidavros
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I'd been really looking forward to my two-night stay at the Hotel del Sole and, prior to my arrival, had wonderful interactions with hotel staff. However, post-arrival, things started to go downhill--quickly. The first thing was that the internet didn't work for the entirety of my stay. This is a problem, as it was the number-one criterion in booking the hotel (I had to work from Italy). I had an Italian SIM so was able to pay to recharge that to access the web and tether my computer, but this involved a trip in the rain to the www vendor and personal expense to me--with no offer from the hotel of helping with this (despite being well-apprised of my circumstances). Wifi set aside, there were other small things: no soap in the bathroom (really?), yes, the beds were hard (but it's Europe, kind of typical compared to the US), etc. But the real atrocity came at check out, when the surly and hostile man working at the front desk failed to communicate with me about what I supposedly "owed" the hotel for food (I hadn't eaten in the restaurant). Sure, some of the explosive argument (staff being the “explosive” party) that ensued may have arisen from the fact that I don't speak fluent Italian, relying on the promise of "multilingual" staff. But language barriers and multiculturalism set aside, it was a humiliating, terrible experience to be treated in the fashion that was demonstrated. I had a flight to catch (I was checking out at 5 AM) and the front desk staff person was being extremely slow and inefficient about the process (most people aren’t checking out at 5 for fun, after all—and I had made temporal adjustments for European versus American notions of efficient check outs). And then demanding that I pay for eating there--Even though I didn't know what I was agreeing to, I explained that I absolutely had to go or I would miss my flight and to please charge anything else to the card on file (they'd already charged some, so this should not have been a problem). Things continued to get heated even after I asked for this "favor" and I ducked out, not about to miss a flight to Holland on account of being screamed at. So, the hotel SENT THE POLICE AFTER ME (again, with an already-charged credit card on file) which resulted in missing my train for my flight and one of the worst travel days of my life. Sure, not everyone would have this experience at the Hotel del Sole, but the fact that it is even possible to have such a heinous incident...well, there are plenty of other of nice hotels in Pompei.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JenniferOlivia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for four days. What a great location to the ruins. Very friendly staff, gave us good places to eat, and great directions to wherever we wanted to go. The shower was standard, good water pressure and temperature regulation. Breakfast was good. Rooms were clean, no odd odors,but ,the beds were very hard. I could live with that but the pillows were as hard as the bed. They really need to address this problem. Other than that I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank John S