All reviewsgreat locationfourth floorbreakfast restaurantcakesseparate roomsgreat directionsrooms are basic but cleanno tea or coffee making facilitiespompeii scavi train stationreception staffhotel is situatedthree night stayfree parkingbudget hotelwould stay againtwo nightshard boiled eggs
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We booked our room with a mini bar and air conditioning but when we arrived we didn't have either. We asked reception and the excuse was that they were renovating but our room clearly never had air-con. However Good location to ruins.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

There are pluses to the hotel:

1. Location - within a few steps of the quieter entrance to Pompeii ruins. Nearby restaurants and cafes are a bit touristy but a short walk into the centre of the small town of Pompeii.
2. Cost - it's cheap!
3. It's clean
4. Free parking in a gated car park

However:
The hotel is being renovated and our room needed it. The shower door fell off as soon as I tried to move it. It was put back quickly but I was advised not to use it. Toilet seat moved worryingly - won't go into details! Lots of construction noise from early in morning.
Breakfast has a reasonable selection but is heavily angled towards sweet nor savoury - I object to having to pay for a second cup of coffee, it isn't unreasonable to expect to have tow cups with breakfast.

If going to Pompeii consider this hotel (and overall the pluses just about shade the negatives).

Room Tip: Ask whether the room has been renovated
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wren104
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Arrived a bit early for check in but were welcomed by the receptionist and given a complimentary drink of iced lime & lemon juice which was very welcome.
My room was a single on the 4th floor and quite nice, I had air conditioning and a hair dryer which my poor traveling companions on the 2nd floor lacked. Room was clean and kept supplied with clean towels, the bed was comfortable but I still had the worst two nights of the holiday.
It was just so noisy - if it was not other guests talking loudly in the coridoor outside my room at all hours of the night. this is 2.00am and 4.00am and other times in between, there were also dogs barking somewhere as well. I was like a zombie after the first night, and looking forward to leaving after the second night as that was no better.
Breakfast was abysmal....I am diabetic and could not eat the quantities of cake on offer, so looked for a alternative. There was ONE small slice of bread and a couple of slices of salami and sweaty cheese, another guest asked for more and the waiter was so surly I did not dare to ask for anything so went without.
The position of this hotel though is fantastic - only a few yards away from an entrance to the Pompei ruins, and also only a few short stroll from the many restaurants and shops. The hotel is undergoing renovations, if they could only do something about the noise it would be very good, but I would not stay there again - I need to sleep at night.

Room Tip: You need to be on fourth floor to get air conditioning.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank steffy1952
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is the first time I have written a review like this and find that when I see poor reviews I tend to switch off if everything is bad as I expect that the reviewer was a bit annoyed. However this hotel did push the boundaries of what not to do, I will keep this review as objective as possible though because although it was a complete travesty, there were occasional good points.

We checked in to the Hotel Del Sole after a short 10 minute stroll from the Pompeii Scavi train station (FYI this hotel is equidistant to the other Pompeii station also.) Even though we were a little early the kind receptionist asked us to wait in the outside bar area for 10 minutes while she had our rooms prepared. The lobby area was crisp, clean and pretty modern with a large flat screen TV to watch. While we waited we were even given complimentary drinks which I thought was a lovely touch. We were then shown to our rooms which were decorated "old school Italian" which is my thing so I liked the room, I'll never forget the room number it was called 16-BIS (no I have no clue either!!?). The receptionist said something about renovation being carried out (I hadn’t experienced or seen anything up until then and even though it is not the thing you want to hear after you have arrived at your destination I didn't see any point in making a fuss) She then mentioned that this room had no air con (even though the booking information detailed the rooms as having it) but I had just stayed in a quaint place with no air con a few days before so, again, not wanting to fuss and just enjoy my time in Pompeii I brushed it off (even though the other person we were traveling with had a lovely air conditioned room! We dumped our bags and enjoyed the wonderful Pompeii ruins, only to find that when we returned to our room and relaxed a little we found that there was no toilet seat.....WHAT?? I have stayed in a hut on a desert island where the owners slept outside on a bamboo platform and guess what, their toilet had a seat!! The room was very clean so could not fathom how you could clean a room and not think that a missing toilet seat was a problem. I reported it to reception and they said that it would be sorted out tomorrow as the maintenance people had already gone home for the day. I will point out that the beds are what I consider to be very hard. I know that some people like hard beds but it was a problem for us. The windows are single glazed which was also a problem as there was a lot of noise thoughout the night. The side we were on had a gorgeous dog who unfortunately liked to bark at the moon! it wasn't all night but enough to wake you up half a dozen times. The floors are tiled and you can hear everything!!! this includes the TV in the lobby past 11pm. To add insult to injury the builders started drilling and grinding at about 7am and pretty much carried on all day. I went down to breakfast and found that some people were complaining because the buffet looked a bit neglected. When one guy asked for more, the waiter looked away from him (in our direction) and rolled his eyes, it was as if he had taken the suggestion to "fill up" the buffet as a personal insult. The man was after some cheese, salami and bread, I am glad he asked, as that’s what I was after. The waiter brought out only a few slices of each so when the guy was done I would have had to ask the grumpy waiter too...forget it, I did without. I couldn’t stand any more, I let the reception have it both barrels and the manager walked over. There were a lot of apologies, none of them sincere I think. I then asked them again about the toilet seat and they said the technician was in later on, and I would need to leave my room key (even though housekeeping had a key) I protested and told them that it was not good enough, I would be leaving tomorrow and most of my stay was spent without a toilet seat. The receptionist said there was nothing she could do right now, I really believe that they thought I was making a fuss over nothing. in the end I thought, I had put up with this shambles for one night, what's one more? it won't change the fact that they were so casual about it. If it was my hotel I would be in a car to the local DIY to buy a new seat, I would not have waited for a "technician". I didn't want to deal with them anymore, I didn't leave my key, I guess that was my choice.

To wrap this up the other night I stayed (only two in total thank the gods) it was the same story - barking dogs, workmen and they never fixed that toilet seat or asked me why I didn't leave my key. in summary if the hotel had carpets, double glazing, a toilet seat and staff that cared, it might have been enjoyable, but it was diabolical!!!!

After the renovation works are complete, who knows it might be better, although I wont be risking it again, I must say that its location relative to the Pompeii ruins though is brilliant (100yards).

Room Tip: Ask for the highest room you can get!! Pack ear plugs! If you really desire a specific room, be sure to call them ahead of arriving as my requests were totally ignored! (High room, facing the ruins and next to my mother who was also staying in the hotel, she ended up on 4th floor whilst we were located on the 2nd!!)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tadleytraveller
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My daughter has dreamed of visiting Pompeii all her life. We stayed at The Hotel Del Sole and were pleased with the staff, their kindness and consideration. We were also surprised to find that the hotel is directly across the street for the main entrance to the historic ruins! All in all we were very pleased!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family