All reviewsgreat locationfourth floorbreakfast restaurantcakesseparate roomsgreat directionsrooms are basic but cleanno tea or coffee making facilitiespompeii scavi train stationreception staffhotel is situatedthree night stayfree parkingbudget hotelwould stay againtwo nightshard boiled eggs
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is the first time I have written a review like this and find that when I see poor reviews I tend to switch off if everything is bad as I expect that the reviewer was a bit annoyed. However this hotel did push the boundaries of what not to do, I will keep this review as objective as possible though because although it was a complete travesty, there were occasional good points.

We checked in to the Hotel Del Sole after a short 10 minute stroll from the Pompeii Scavi train station (FYI this hotel is equidistant to the other Pompeii station also.) Even though we were a little early the kind receptionist asked us to wait in the outside bar area for 10 minutes while she had our rooms prepared. The lobby area was crisp, clean and pretty modern with a large flat screen TV to watch. While we waited we were even given complimentary drinks which I thought was a lovely touch. We were then shown to our rooms which were decorated "old school Italian" which is my thing so I liked the room, I'll never forget the room number it was called 16-BIS (no I have no clue either!!?). The receptionist said something about renovation being carried out (I hadn’t experienced or seen anything up until then and even though it is not the thing you want to hear after you have arrived at your destination I didn't see any point in making a fuss) She then mentioned that this room had no air con (even though the booking information detailed the rooms as having it) but I had just stayed in a quaint place with no air con a few days before so, again, not wanting to fuss and just enjoy my time in Pompeii I brushed it off (even though the other person we were traveling with had a lovely air conditioned room! We dumped our bags and enjoyed the wonderful Pompeii ruins, only to find that when we returned to our room and relaxed a little we found that there was no toilet seat.....WHAT?? I have stayed in a hut on a desert island where the owners slept outside on a bamboo platform and guess what, their toilet had a seat!! The room was very clean so could not fathom how you could clean a room and not think that a missing toilet seat was a problem. I reported it to reception and they said that it would be sorted out tomorrow as the maintenance people had already gone home for the day. I will point out that the beds are what I consider to be very hard. I know that some people like hard beds but it was a problem for us. The windows are single glazed which was also a problem as there was a lot of noise thoughout the night. The side we were on had a gorgeous dog who unfortunately liked to bark at the moon! it wasn't all night but enough to wake you up half a dozen times. The floors are tiled and you can hear everything!!! this includes the TV in the lobby past 11pm. To add insult to injury the builders started drilling and grinding at about 7am and pretty much carried on all day. I went down to breakfast and found that some people were complaining because the buffet looked a bit neglected. When one guy asked for more, the waiter looked away from him (in our direction) and rolled his eyes, it was as if he had taken the suggestion to "fill up" the buffet as a personal insult. The man was after some cheese, salami and bread, I am glad he asked, as that’s what I was after. The waiter brought out only a few slices of each so when the guy was done I would have had to ask the grumpy waiter too...forget it, I did without. I couldn’t stand any more, I let the reception have it both barrels and the manager walked over. There were a lot of apologies, none of them sincere I think. I then asked them again about the toilet seat and they said the technician was in later on, and I would need to leave my room key (even though housekeeping had a key) I protested and told them that it was not good enough, I would be leaving tomorrow and most of my stay was spent without a toilet seat. The receptionist said there was nothing she could do right now, I really believe that they thought I was making a fuss over nothing. in the end I thought, I had put up with this shambles for one night, what's one more? it won't change the fact that they were so casual about it. If it was my hotel I would be in a car to the local DIY to buy a new seat, I would not have waited for a "technician". I didn't want to deal with them anymore, I didn't leave my key, I guess that was my choice.

To wrap this up the other night I stayed (only two in total thank the gods) it was the same story - barking dogs, workmen and they never fixed that toilet seat or asked me why I didn't leave my key. in summary if the hotel had carpets, double glazing, a toilet seat and staff that cared, it might have been enjoyable, but it was diabolical!!!!

After the renovation works are complete, who knows it might be better, although I wont be risking it again, I must say that its location relative to the Pompeii ruins though is brilliant (100yards).

Room Tip: Ask for the highest room you can get!! Pack ear plugs! If you really desire a specific room, be sure to call them ahead of arriving as my requests were totally ignored! (High room, facing the ruins and next to my mother who was also staying in the hotel, she ended up on 4th floor whilst we were located on the 2nd!!)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Tadleytraveller
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My daughter has dreamed of visiting Pompeii all her life. We stayed at The Hotel Del Sole and were pleased with the staff, their kindness and consideration. We were also surprised to find that the hotel is directly across the street for the main entrance to the historic ruins! All in all we were very pleased!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Stopped over for a night on the way to Sicily. The place is right in front of the entrance to the Pompeii ruins. Property is maintained carefully at a sixties/seventies look and feel. Convenient free parking.

As soon as we come in we got the news that because of the holidays (!!!!) they were not able to install the air conditioning in our rooms, never mind that we had booked the room as A/C just three days before. Upon inspection, the rooms were in the unrenovated second floor (though paint job and furniture were indeed new). We are offered a discount from €79 to €50 per room, which we accepted, also because it was too late to look for something else. However, as soon as we walk out the door, we see that they hay just posted on the outside a sign offering rooms for €50 including dinner!
Anyway, wake up early and go see ancient Pompeii and you will forget!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors, 2nd (which is really the first floor, is unrenovated.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights and were really pleasantly surprised. The rooms were a good size and clean, located in a characterful building at a couple of minutes walk from one of the entrance ruins. The price was extremely reasonable as far as Italian hotels go, and that is without taking into account its location near one of the most visited flagship sites of Italy! It is a little bit of a walk from the transvesuviano train stop if you are coming from Naples, so I might reccommend a taxi if you have lots of luggage and are in full summer heat, but this actually becomes an advantage as the nearby entrance to the ruins is less busy than the one close to the train stop (we had no queues and no crowds at 9:30 am) and you avoid the hordes of tourists. The breakfast had an excellent choice of typical italian sweets (I lived in Italy for 15 years so even if they may not be to your liking, I can assure you that most of them are typically Italian) and of course excellent coffee and juices. There are some great restaurants too off the nearby Piazzale Giovanni XXIII (in fact the best pizza I have ever had was in one of these restaurants half way down via Astolelle, despite having tried neapolitan pizza many times before). The staff were absolutely lovely and really friendly. For the price, faultless all round and a great choice if visiting Pompei for a day or two, but also as a good base to see some of the surrounding localities.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JayPie
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed seven nights, 14 to 21 August 2013, couple with two children 24 & 15.
We had two separate rooms, a double and a twin, numbers 36 and 37.
The rooms were spotlessly clean, evertything worked and the air-con was very efficient. August in Italy isn't a joke. It was 40 centigrade when we checked in. At night it was 26 centigrade, every night.

This is an excellent hotel. Its location is perfect if you want to visit the ruins of Pompeii. The entrance to the ruins of Pompeii in only across the street, less than 20 meters (60 feet) from the hotel. At the entrance they also sell tours to the volcano Vesuvius.
The staff, both the receptions girls and the breakfast restaurant staff, is probably the the best thing about the hotel, always with a genuine smile, always ready to help.
I stay in hotels all over the world and this is the first 3-star hotel with a 4-star hotel feel. They change the bed linen and towels everyday. The decor is very nice too.
The breakfast could be a little better. No fresh toast, for example, but their fantastic coffee compensates for the lack of toast.
Italians invented ice-cream, right ? So make sure you try it from the two or three ice-cream parlours on the same side of the road where the Hotel Del Sole is and NOT the one further on on the other side fo the road (expensive). There is a McDonalds on that street too. There many good restaurants within walking distance and I can recommend 'Carlo Alberto'. Good food and reasonable priced. There is another restaurant (forgot the name) in that square (sorry... 'piazza') on a corner but it is expensive (120 Euros for four diners).

One last thing. When you visit the ruins of Pompeii take two bottles person. There are many clean water outlets inside the ruins. And do not hire a guide. He/she will rush yoiu through the site andyoiu have no time to see what you want to see. Hire an electronic audio-guide from the entrance and they will also provide you with a free map.
I recommnewd this hotel to anyone. Superb in every aspect. Don't hesitate. You will not regret staying there.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give other travelers is to visit Trip Advisor and read the reviews. That is what I always do. There is nothing like first hand experience of other travelers
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family