“Extraordinary in many ways”

Villa Franca Pompei
Ranked #14 of 53 Pompeii B&B and Inns
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Extraordinary in many ways”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed in Villa Franca Pompei for 10days using it as a base. There are many quirks to staying at Villa Franca. When we arrived we were shown to our room over a railway line in a large appartment building with a tremendous view of Vesuvius. We had an interestng room which was more like an appartment. Kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom enormous 30ft square balcony. Once you get used to crossing the railway line for the pool and meals it seems normal I have certainly been much further away in traditional hotel. Giuseppe, Lorena and Dominique are charming, so friendly you feel that you are guests in their home.
the location is perfect for Pompei ruins and Railway station 250m.
The pool is clean and very refreshing!
The food is home cooked local food. We chose to eat every night. The menu is what Guiseppe cooks that night. The man has no concept of portion size! I chose to try Dominic's red wine, I liked it, slightly frizzante but full bodied and perfect with the many types of pasta I tried. Breakfast is pastries, croissants filled with a whole tub of Nutella or Apricot jam and the largest doughnuts I have ever seen. Fruit juice and excellent coffee.
We had a hire car, I drove the Amalfi Coast road, to Herculaneum and up Vesuvius but I would not drive in Naples! The local driving style is interesting. Giuseppe suggested public transport each time I told him where I was intending to drive!
This hotel does not claim to be 5 star luxury. It is close to the railway line but if you want a central, clean, perfectly placed hotel in Pompei with the friendliest helpful hosts,guaranteed to increase your waistline this is the place.

Room Tip: Go over the line!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Halifax,West Yorkshire
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Guiseppie the owner was lovely offering us lifts when we needed them.The food was excellent and plenty of it.very clean and excellent value.If you are visiting Pompeii I would absolutely recommend Villa Franca.Even when we booked out he said we could stay as long as we liked until our coach departure.He even drove us into Pompeii Town.All the rooms have recently been refurbished in pastel colours.If you are looking for a large impersonal hotel this is not for you.It is family run,very friendly.He speaks good English and Philipe speaks French.The pool was clean and refreshing after a day in the ruins.Because it is so small and friendly we got chatting to the other guests ( sometimes with our hands )and thoroughly enjoyed our Italian experience.I would say the pool is deep and only for children who swim,not suitable for toddler unless there is an adult holding them.

Room Tip: We were in a family room which consisted of one double bed and one set of bunk beds and I noticed th...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I left my wallet in my room after leaving my stay with Giuseppe and Lorena, with all my ID (except passport), credit cards and cash inside it. I couldn't make it back to Pompei so I called them and asked that they either destroy it or mail it back to me in California.

They cheerfully mailed it back, promptly and with all the contents intact. What more can I say?

Great time, great people, great pool in a relatively beach-less environment, absolutely would stay again.

Don't hesitate.

Ray

Room Tip: If you really care about what room you get, go to a hotel. I stayed in three rooms and they were al...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at villa Franca for two nights at the end of our Italian holiday. It was a warm welcome by Giuessepe with a cold beer and soft drinks as soon as we arrived. The accommodation is easy to find and only a short walk to the entrance to the ruins of Pompeii. Our rooms were large and catered for our needs, basic but comfortable. We ate at Villa Franca with the other guests which was excellent value and quality - some of the nicest food we have experienced on our trip. Highly recommend for good, laid back , value for money close to Pompeii. Swimming pool and sunning area a big bonus for families like us too! Really lovely breakfast too!

Room Tip: We had family room by the pool - big enough for a family of 5!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had a great 2 nights at Villa Franca. It was an easy walk to the ruins. Really enjoyed coming back to the pool and the fantastic meal that was waiting for us. Be prepared for a huge array of Italian food. It was a great experience overall. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Would recommend to all travellers. Especially good for families due to the pool and the location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kiwigirl00
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed at Villa Franca in late April (sorry it’s taken so long to post this!). All in all this is a good choice for a stay in Pompeii, good value for money and very friendly and welcoming. There were a few annoyances, however. Giuseppe our host offered us an apartment as there were three of us and it was better value than two rooms. However, he didn’t mention that the apartment would be in a separate building down the road, so not near the pool or eating area. The apartment was basic, without a kitchen, but clean and pleasant, with a view of Vesuvius. The shower was a bit of a problem: needs a new head (easy enough to remedy) and kept going hot and cold by turns….
We ate in the garden one evening – dinner is offered every evening by the poolside if wanted, at 12 euros per head. The food was excellent and great value (three courses). However, we were offered red or white wine and opted for white, but were brought cloudy, home-made stuff which I could not drink. I sipped it to be polite (it’s less like a hotel and more like a private home, which has both pros and cons) but we hardly drank any. I can drink plonk with the best of them but this was definitely home brewed. Despite this I was surprised to see that we were charged 10 euros for the bottle. So be warned! Opt for the red! As the food was so good I paid up without a fuss. Breakfast was also generous and tasty, if a little light on choices.
The location is good – the other side of the station to the main town, in a quiet area, near the Villa dei Misteri and the entrance to the ruins (and the station). The whole place is pretty beat up (not just the hotel, but the whole town) but this is a reflection of economic conditions and not for lack of care. There are a couple of restaurants just five or ten minutes’ walk away.
At Villa Franca you’ll be assured good food and a warm welcome. Very good value for money overall.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Villa Franca was a wonderful place to stay! It was very cute and authentic and Giuseppe and his family could not have been nicer. The food was amazing - dinner being relaxing by the pool and breakfast being amazing and very filling. It was also a great location being just 5 minutes walk from the station and there were a few small shops around. The pool was the highlight for the children and made the heat a lot more bearable. The room was simple with enough space and an a/c and a large mirror, and the bathroom was clean and a relatively good size. There were many seats around the pool where we could sit to relax after dinner. Overall we loved our stay and would definitely go there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends