Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:30 PM

from $18.07
from $54.20
from $117.20
22,312 results
All reviews audio guide bucket list wear comfortable shoes free map ticket office walking shoes bring water main entrance bottle of water circumvesuviana train plaster casts huge site ancient city we spent hours an amazing place lots of water own pace
Selected filters
Reviewed December 1, 2015

Read books, watched documentaries and heard a lot about this place and what tragedy happened here. Definitely worth to us but inform yourself before about where to park as restaurant owners at the entry try to offer you a carpark there but they are a bit over the top that you probably can smell the rip-off.

Date of experience: December 2015
Reviewed November 30, 2015

This place is amazing. It really is. It's actually easy to picture your self back in time to 79AD while walking to ancient streets of this place. Easy to get lost. Definitely go with a tour. While there I probably had 5 different people come up to me and ask where they were on their tourist map.

2  Thank JimmyJackk
Reviewed November 30, 2015

My friends and I spent a day in ancient Pompeii. We travelled by train to Pompeii for a day trip from Rome. Even in November, our day was in the mild 60s. I would like to suggest several things to prepare for your visit. First--wear trekking/hiking shoes or well-supported and cushioned athletic shoes. The streets and curbs you walk in the city were created by Romans and they are extremely hard to navigate without good shoes. This is not an activity for people who have trouble with lots of walking and the town is somewhat hilly.
Second--Read ahead about the ruins and Pompeii daily life online or from guide books. Then decide what you wish to see. This city was a town of 15,000 and we were limited in one day of what we could see. Third- Consider hiring one of the tour guides available at the ticket purchasing office. You may be able to negotiate the price depending on how busy they are. We were able to hire a guide for $20 Euros per person and felt the depth of their knowledge contributed to our visit. Because we had read ahead about Pompeii, we were able to have our guide show us some of the specific sites we had read about. Interesting sites-- the baths, the temple of Apollo, the home of Meandre, the Forum, the Pompeii citizens' bodies.

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed November 30, 2015

I never imagined that ruins of an ancient city would be so captivating. The lush and agricultural countryside only reminded me that people then were as besotted with the location as modern visitors are. Something of a walk, but not daunting for even the armchair traveller.

1  Thank Spookguy
Reviewed November 30, 2015

I've wanted to visit Pompeii since I was a small child. I therefore jumped at the opportunity of visiting this attraction.

You can hire pre-recorded guides, but we decided to go with a real, live human one! It was April, and for us Brits it was rather warm. We initially walked past our guide, Roberto, as he was of advancing years, and was wrapped up in a raincoat and bobble hat. We later found out he was in his 80s. However, don't judge a book by it's cover. He was fantastic, entertaining, and his English perfect, but most importantly he understood British humour and his interactions with our group made the trip even better.

Having a guide provided more context to the areas and provided us with additional information which wasn't included in our guides.

This is a magnificent part of global history and I would like to return. As long as Roberto is still there to show us around!

Date of experience: April 2015