Open today: 9:00 AM - 7:30 PM
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Pompeii - Archaeological Area.
from $23.99
from $13.90
from $36.79
from $72.60
9,894 results
All reviews audio guide free map wear comfortable shoes bucket list ticket office plaster casts walking shoes huge site bring water bottle of water main entrance circumvesuviana train we spent hours lots of water an amazing place own pace porta marina
Reviewed today via mobile

You cannot be prepared for the enormity of this disaster, the sheer size of it and the degree of excellent archeological digging and preservation. It is absolutely stunning! The detail and the vastness of the entire city which would take several days to explore! It’s got to be said that having exposed the houses and public places from the pumice and volcanic detritus that they are having a problem with preserving the exposed ruins such is the wear and tear of pollution, hordes of visitors and weather conditions. Well worth doing some research ahead of time and focusing your attention on the main highlights and not wander starry eyed and get completely lost! One of the best ancient civilization sites you could ever visit!

Reviewed today

The archaeological site in Pompeii is huge if you don't want to wast your time, here are the most important attractions you must see.
Casa del Fauno - House of the Faun VI/1
The mosaic: Battle between Alexander and Darius.
The original in the Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli.
Casa dei Vettii - House of the Vettii VI/11
(Caution! It's open till 13'o clock)
Lupanar VII/18 (Lupa=prostitute)
The original frescoes in the Secret Room in the Museum at Naples.
House of the Tragic Poet VI/4
Cave Canem mosaic "Beware oft he dog"
Grand Theatre VIII/10
Quadriporticus of the theatre of Gladiators Barracks VIII/11
Small Theatre - Odeion VIII/12
The amphitheatre is very far from the main entrance and not interesting, only wasting time. II/5
Don't miss at the end of your visit at the exit the Villa Imperiale VIII/18
(There is a lift from the Antiquarium before the gift shop)
It was opened for the first time in April 2016 for the public.
This is a reconstruction of the everyday life of antiquity furnished with copies of the furniture, lamps, bronze items.
The 3 sites combined ticket (Pompei, Oplontis, Boscoreale) is valid 3 consecutive days 18€. The latter two sites is really worth seeing, beautiful villas, exhibitions, only a few people, comparing to Pompeii. If you by the ticket separately on the spot for these two attractions it costs 7€.
There is no use buying tickets at the tram station, it doesn't pay to avoid standing in the queue at the main ticket office.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

My friends and I went on a tour of Pompeii arranged by Walks of Italy. We were transported from Rome to Pompeii in a small bus. Once there we were introduced to our guide for the tour. She spoke excellent English and gave a very informative tour. Some of the areas that we saw were very crowded but our guide allowed us enough time to adequately see each site. The tour was only 2 hours. I wish that we had arranged the tour on our own as I would have liked to spend more time exploring. I would encourage people to book a tour directly through the Pompeii website and take the train from Rome to Naples then on to Pompeii. I would have liked to spend more time exploring after the tour.
Pompeii is amazing. If you have the chance I would strongly recommend fitting a trip to Pompeii into your travel plans.

Reviewed 2 days ago

I spent only approx. 4hrs there and could have spent more, I did not get guide as I want to walk around on my own. I rented a audio guide.. it was 8 euro and I would suggest if you do this then bring your own earphones.. as otherwise you will have to hold the audio up to your ear.. it has good stories and also extended versions too.. and you select the stories by the section and number on the building ..the only thing is when you want to drop if back off at the end of the tour it was hard to find the location and I ended up going back to the entrance...We took the fast train from Rome to Naples only 70 mins and we pre bought our tickets before we arrived in Rome.. so the price was good.. and then you take a local train to the site. The entrance for the ruins is easy to find after you get off the train.. ..just a fyi .. there is a restaurant inside the ruins .. it was a surprise but does not spoil the view.. food was good and expected prices and it has washrooms .. I would go back in a heart beat .. I enjoyed the stories.

Reviewed 2 days ago

We did not buy tickets ahead of time and visited on a Wednesday morning. We had to wait in line for about 20 minutes. Plan lots of time to see everything! We decided not to do a guide or audio tour. There were a lot of plaques with information to read but if you want in depth detail-definitely do a tour. We spent about 4 hours wandering around and definitely did not see everything! A must visit place though.

Reviewed 2 days ago

If you are ever in this area, Pompeii is not to be missed. Although the buildings are not exactly as they were almost 2,000 years ago, you get some sense of how the city was laid out and operated. The place is huge, and the few hours that we were there was not nearly enough to see all that there is to see. We missed so much when you Google Earth the site, but with a large group of 40 like we had, it isn't practical to try to see everything- there would be too much walking. If we had 2 days to spend here, you could see more if it is open to tourists. It is incredible that we could see the frescos on the wall, the piping for water delivery, baths, theatres, brothels, homes, shops. Everything that you would need in a Roman city, is still there and can be seen. From what they told us, the entire city has not been excavated, but a great part of it has. don't expect to see a lot of plaster casts of people who died. There are a few there, and a few skeletal remains on display. Think of this as a trip back in time, thanks to the preservative nature of the volcanic rock that encased this city.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Well if you want to see only the ruins, you will "see" only some old rocks. If you'll try to understand for how many years is this city standing you will be impressed by it's size.... it's structure. When you arrive try to pass by all those parking that want so much money for only 1 hour!!! From the side, the theater's entrance you will find parking to leave your car for only few money.
Try to have the hall day in front of you, some believe that 2-3 hours are enough to see Pompeii... my experience was more than 6 hours and still I didn't see everything I could, should or want....

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

Our visit with the audio guide was very good. We moved at our own pace for three hours and chose our sections in the site. Overall a must see. Too few guides and most were disinterested. Some information boards outside/inside ruined buildings would help. Visitors should be directed first to the excellent film on entry. Beware of Tempo Travel ( upstairs in building across from rail station). The girl selling the audio guides had a poor manner. No additional advice offered and €100 deposit required if you do not carry passport.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

Wow. Not sure what I was expecting - perhaps a few ruins and excavations - but this was magnificent. Basically, a preserved ancient Roman metropolis, where you can see how it functioned and how people lived. Really, right up there with the Great Wall in terms of impact on me. November was a great time to visit as it was quiet tourist-wise. A must, an absolute must.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

The most important heritage I have even seen in my life. Can’t believe what you see when walking around. Must not miss.