Open today: 8:30 AM - 7:30 PM

Ways to Experience Pompeii - Archaeological Area.
from $207.10
from $104.10
from $13.90
from $138.80
9,892 results
All reviews audio guide free map wear comfortable shoes bucket list ticket office plaster casts walking shoes huge site bring water bottle of water main entrance circumvesuviana train we spent hours lots of water an amazing place own pace porta marina
Reviewed today via mobile

My friends and I went on a tour of Pompeii arranged by Walks of Italy. We were transported from Rome to Pompeii in a small bus. Once there we were introduced to our guide for the tour. She spoke excellent English and gave a very informative tour. Some of the areas that we saw were very crowded but our guide allowed us enough time to adequately see each site. The tour was only 2 hours. I wish that we had arranged the tour on our own as I would have liked to spend more time exploring. I would encourage people to book a tour directly through the Pompeii website and take the train from Rome to Naples then on to Pompeii. I would have liked to spend more time exploring after the tour.
Pompeii is amazing. If you have the chance I would strongly recommend fitting a trip to Pompeii into your travel plans.

Reviewed yesterday

I spent only approx. 4hrs there and could have spent more, I did not get guide as I want to walk around on my own. I rented a audio guide.. it was 8 euro and I would suggest if you do this then bring your own earphones.. as otherwise you will have to hold the audio up to your ear.. it has good stories and also extended versions too.. and you select the stories by the section and number on the building ..the only thing is when you want to drop if back off at the end of the tour it was hard to find the location and I ended up going back to the entrance...We took the fast train from Rome to Naples only 70 mins and we pre bought our tickets before we arrived in Rome.. so the price was good.. and then you take a local train to the site. The entrance for the ruins is easy to find after you get off the train.. ..just a fyi .. there is a restaurant inside the ruins .. it was a surprise but does not spoil the view.. food was good and expected prices and it has washrooms .. I would go back in a heart beat .. I enjoyed the stories.

Reviewed yesterday

We did not buy tickets ahead of time and visited on a Wednesday morning. We had to wait in line for about 20 minutes. Plan lots of time to see everything! We decided not to do a guide or audio tour. There were a lot of plaques with information to read but if you want in depth detail-definitely do a tour. We spent about 4 hours wandering around and definitely did not see everything! A must visit place though.

Reviewed yesterday

If you are ever in this area, Pompeii is not to be missed. Although the buildings are not exactly as they were almost 2,000 years ago, you get some sense of how the city was laid out and operated. The place is huge, and the few hours that we were there was not nearly enough to see all that there is to see. We missed so much when you Google Earth the site, but with a large group of 40 like we had, it isn't practical to try to see everything- there would be too much walking. If we had 2 days to spend here, you could see more if it is open to tourists. It is incredible that we could see the frescos on the wall, the piping for water delivery, baths, theatres, brothels, homes, shops. Everything that you would need in a Roman city, is still there and can be seen. From what they told us, the entire city has not been excavated, but a great part of it has. don't expect to see a lot of plaster casts of people who died. There are a few there, and a few skeletal remains on display. Think of this as a trip back in time, thanks to the preservative nature of the volcanic rock that encased this city.

Reviewed yesterday

Well if you want to see only the ruins, you will "see" only some old rocks. If you'll try to understand for how many years is this city standing you will be impressed by it's size.... it's structure. When you arrive try to pass by all those parking that want so much money for only 1 hour!!! From the side, the theater's entrance you will find parking to leave your car for only few money.
Try to have the hall day in front of you, some believe that 2-3 hours are enough to see Pompeii... my experience was more than 6 hours and still I didn't see everything I could, should or want....

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

Our visit with the audio guide was very good. We moved at our own pace for three hours and chose our sections in the site. Overall a must see. Too few guides and most were disinterested. Some information boards outside/inside ruined buildings would help. Visitors should be directed first to the excellent film on entry. Beware of Tempo Travel ( upstairs in building across from rail station). The girl selling the audio guides had a poor manner. No additional advice offered and €100 deposit required if you do not carry passport.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

Wow. Not sure what I was expecting - perhaps a few ruins and excavations - but this was magnificent. Basically, a preserved ancient Roman metropolis, where you can see how it functioned and how people lived. Really, right up there with the Great Wall in terms of impact on me. November was a great time to visit as it was quiet tourist-wise. A must, an absolute must.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

The most important heritage I have even seen in my life. Can’t believe what you see when walking around. Must not miss.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

While on a trip to Naples we took the train journey to Pompeii and it was a great decision!!!!! Sadly it was a rainy day on our visit, but it didn't dampen our experience too much. There is so much to see and it is advisable to give yourself plenty of time to enjoy your visit. We and to queue for 30 minute to get in which wasn't bad, but I highly recommend that your hire an audio tour guide which was only €6.50 and it helped to explain a lot of what you are seeing. Do not miss this trio if you are in the area.

Reviewed 3 days ago

This is one of those truly amazing places in the world, a place you've undoubtedly heard and read about since you were a kid, simply a must see. It is much larger than I expected, 2-3 hours of walking around and we saw maybe 20%. And there's so much more to see, artifacts and buildings, streets and frescos, graffiti (Roman) and magnificent paintings, then I had ever imagined. And they're still digging!