“Tourists not welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of La Vinicola

La Vinicola
Ranked #143 of 185 Restaurants in Pompeii
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pau, France
“Tourists not welcome”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant looks fantastic and the smartly dressed waiter looks the part but that was pretty much it for our authentic experience. We were ushered into a large backroom away from the interesting busy 'authentic' atmosphere. We were given a crumpled menu in English and realised the only other table in the room was also occupied by tourists. The service was slow and the food was dreadful. It really felt like we were getting the tourist fob off. We were also told that pizza was off the menu because "we have over a 100 to make", despite the 'authentic' Italian customers receiving an endless stream of pizzas. We had to wait 20 mins for the bill with our three obviously bored and tired children. Really bad experience, would NOT recommend.

• Visited October 2013

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“A genuine Italian restaurant experience - Great food from the "Mama"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Going to la Vinicola was a bit like that Italian Restaurant scene in The Lady and the Tramp. it may not be the poshest nor the grandest restaurant, but being in a small alley between two buildings certainly added to the charm of this place.
Don't expect haute cuisine. What they serve in that restaurant, always with a smile, is proper "mama's cooking". Lovely pasta, great veal dishes, pizza... name it, all the classics of the Italian restaurant are on the menu (the menu translation in English leaves a bit to be desired, but we can easily forgive them).
Incredibly tasty, cheap and coming with a complimentary Limoncello at the end, this is certainly a meal I won't forget for a while... I wish I had asked for that Scalopina al limone recipe!

• Visited September 2013
St. Maarten-St. Martin
“Little and Large!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I last visited this restaurant some 8 years ago, I was very pleased then and decided to try again on my recent visit, things have changed as the courtyard now has a sliding roof in case of rain but much remains the same for the good.
Firstly the staff are very pleasant efficient English speaking and helpful, in fact quite entertaining at times. The two waiters reminded me of the UK comedians 'Little and Large' by appearance hence my title.
We were greeted on both nights on this recent visit (14/15 Sept) with a smile and a free starter!
Our meal was plentiful and excellent quality on both occasions, everywhere was clean, the house wine of good quality too.
As with some of the reviews here, its always expected but best ignored of the American and German clients, normally loud or dressed in a beach towel and always moan at anything.
This place is not the poshest in town I agree, but is of very good value for money and is well worth a try, believe me, we had two courses plus desert, half litre of wine, bottle of water, the free starter and a free limoncello at the end, all for less than €35 the two!! so to the snobs who want to moan about this restaurant ( by the way it was always busy!) I suggest go home or try many other restaurants close by and get ripped off for €100 for exactly the same.
Well done Little and Large, see you again next visit.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank BalticBill
Bavaria, Germany
“Typical italian restaurante - old school”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

This tiny restaurant has and typical old style ambiente with it's very own flair. For us it washthe second visit after three years we visited last time Pompeji and it is still the same atmosphere we like a lot in this region around Napoli. Don't expect some highbrow cuisine, it is more like "Mama Italia" is cooking for you in her very own old school typical way. We like the ambient in the small backyard where a grown tree is covering the area allover an if bad weather, it could be closed by glas.
The staff is very friendly and is doing a good job even he is very young. The meals are simple but tasty and the service is good when considering the conditions.
If you are a real friend of italian culture, go there!

• Visited August 2013
“Stay away from this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

There was a nicely dressed man that greeted us, but that was the only thing that was nice. They sat us next to the door that connects the restaurant to it's neighbor, then decided to open the door and carry food over my head until I decided to move the table myself. Service was terrible. My husband's food came out 15 mins after the kids and I were done eating. The bill was handed to us as the waiter passed by; we paid in the same manner and without leaving a tip. We told Hotel Diana about it and they said not to go to eat anywhere near the ruins.

• Visited July 2013