“We still laugh about this place.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of La Vinicola

La Vinicola
Ranked #144 of 185 Restaurants in Pompeii
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Las Vegas, Nevada
“We still laugh about this place.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Horrible, horrible! We still joke that we managed to find the worst Italian food restaurant in the world in Italy. We ordered an antipasto appetizer, and I spat out the meat the moment it passed my lips. My husband will still claim it was "mooseknuckle." Calamari (how easy is this?) was cold and flavorless. The "complimentary" shots of limoncello at the end of the meal, served in plastic dixie cups, tasted like swallowing lemon pledge.

Admittedly, I should have realized the minute we walked in that this would not be a good experience. We sat down at 9:30pm to eat and the only other people in the large space were a table of other American tourists and a rowdy European student group. We left most of our food unfinished and actually ate at McDonald's across the street to satisfy our hunger!

• Visited July 2011

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
“Avoid this place, especially the menu turistico”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

We stayed in the delightful town of Pompeii so we could be close to the ruins and nearby Sorrento. The restaurant is near the ruins and looks quite OK from the street. Unfortunately we chose the 'tourist menu' for 15 euro each which included local wine. The pasta was OK but the grilled chicken was black on the sides and looked pretty unappetising. The 'local wine' both red and white was 'fizzy'. When we said it was not to our taste, it was removed and we had to buy a bottle of wine that was drinkable. The restaurant lacked significant atmosphere and ended up costing about the same of the superb La Taverna di San Guiseppe in Siena (see review) we ate at a few nights later. Avoid the Vinicola and go to Kobe in Pompeii instead.

• Visited May 2012
Houston, Texas
“VINICOLA is a NO GO”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Bad service, bad food, bad experience all together

We received the wrong food consistently, despite pointing at the menu with our fingers. The food was meh and the waiter was more interested in having fun with the group of priests who had come in than taking care of us. It took over an hour and a half to get our food and another half hour to get our check. Ridiculous. I know that service goes slower over here, but this was just bad.

DO NOT come here on a dare.

• Visited May 2012
Brighton
“not my favourite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

my daughter enjoyed her pasta with tomatoes but I was disappointed with my linguine which came in hard clumps as if it had stuck to the pan, and in a sauce which was disappointingly tasteless. Also disconcerting practice of serving one person at one table and one at another, so that their companion sat waiting and they either had to start without them or let their meal go cold

Visited April 2012
Alexandria
“The most unpleasant experience of my trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

I only rate this restaurant two stars because the food was decent.

We ate here because it was the only restaurant open when we were looking for dinner late around 10:30pm. First of all, they sat us at a table that was dirty - I thought about asking to move, but when I looked at all the other tables I saw that they were dirty too. It made me wonder if they ever wash their tablecloths (interesting because they charge a 2euro cover charge which includes paying for tablecloths).

Secondly, they did charge a cover charge - this is quite common in Italy. But this was the only restaurant I went to that did not tell you upfront (on the menu) that they would do this. We also requested bread - and they brought us sliced loaf bread (about 3 pieces) and then charged us for those 3 tiny pieces of bread as well.

The food arrived and it was pretty good. But the waiters were not helpful and they made me uncomfortable. I can speak a little Italian and I could gather from what I understood and the fact that they were rudely pointing at us, that they were speaking negatively about us right in front of our faces.

Finally, after 20 minutes, they tried to rush us out. They pointedly cleared all the tables, locked the doors, and PUT ON THEIR JACKETS so they could leave. If they wanted to close within 30 minutes, they shouldn't have sat us. We asked if they were open and they seemed happy to welcome us in.

I loved almost everywhere that we went, but this restaurant made me uncomfortable and unhappy thanks to the extremely rude staff.

• Visited March 2012