“Good location for touring”
Review of Villa Julia

Villa Julia
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this seven roomed ex-family villa. Our car GPS was extremely useful in finding the location.
We arrived at 5pm and the owner gave us keys for the electronic security gate, the front door and our room. From our balcony we had a marvellous view of Vesuvius. We had chosen this B&B because of its central location to Naples, Pompei and the Amalfi Coast.
In this, it didn’t disappoint.
The room itself was spacious and heated with an air-con unit (it was December and cold). An extra blanket was supplied on request.
We were given maps of the area and a voucher to park all day at the Zeus Campsite in Pompei for €5……. and, at €2.50 per hour, this is a bargain. We used this for our visit to the ruins and for a day in Naples by train……the station is close to the parking (take care to use the correct train line on your return).
Given the time of year, the breakfast room was cold. Breakfast itself is very Italian but the owner supplied us with rolls and cheese/salami when we requested this.
Unfortunately, the advertised internet wasn’t working but the owner let me use his 3G connection on his ipad.. At €50 per night we were happy with the Villa Julia.

Room Tip: A Vesuvius view if possible.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 19, 2012

The inn and grounds are indeed a nice oasis, but can be difficult to get to. I'm very good with maps, but so few streets in modern Pompei had street signs that I had to get out and ask directions half a dozen times - and had to use my limited Italian every time. There are two ways to get there, and the scary, single-lane approach is the secondary one.
At the inn our night was noisy because a Spanish family in the room next door had a challenging child (as we saw the next morning at breakfast). Breakfast was just okay. We, too, got caught up in a situation where I had left our dossier with reservation info in their office, and had to wait around during the three hours (1-4 pm) that no one is there for them to return. Doesn't sound like much, but it's irksome.
We dealt with a young man in the office who was quite helpful; he didn't have much English but we could both speak French assez bien. Reference an earlier review; I don't see how one could walk to the ruins in 10 minutes - it seemed to us that that would only get you to the locked rear side of the ruins. If you have limited time in Pompei, I'd suggest one of the hotels closest to the entrance to the ruins.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2012

On a narrow lane at the back of the old site, with a view of Vesuvius. Small but pleasant rooms, better than average breakfast (eat in or outside) and very helpful staff. We were given a note to give to a car park next to the site entrance which gave us a day's parking for a very low rate. Opposite the entrance to the site is a railway station from which we went into Naples (and could have gone to Sorrento). An excellent location and good value.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We spent 2 nights at Hotel Julia.

The service was excellent and when you are on the hotel grounds it feels like you are secluded from everything.

Our balcony had a great view of Mt. Vesuvius and the hotel grounds seemed to go on and on forevre as they are connected to an orchard that never seemed to end and allowed for a nice peaceful walk.

We all really ejoyed the breakfasts and in fact I think that the bread that I had with my breakfast was the best bread that I have ever had.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay here. It is in its own gated garden surround in the quiet countryside, yet is 10 mins walk to the ruins. The owner is very helpful providing maps and guidance to the ruins, the town and restaurants nearby. We had a lovely large room with a balcony overlooking Vesuvius. The only minus points were the breakfast was very basic and our shower seemed to run hot, cold, hot etc. these are small points when you consider other hotels in our price range in the centre of Pompeii which is not the nicest Italian town. Overall we would thoroughly recommend this hotel

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason S
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Stayed in October 2012. Arrived after check in time, not realizing there was a specific check in time, (fortunately his neighbor, a nice old man, called owner) and that seemed to set the tone with the owner for the rest of our time spent there. We apparently interupted his lunch and was annoyed with us after that. Spoke little or no english which complicated things even more. Not close to anything, so if you didn't have a car, you are stranded. Room was nice, setting was beautiful but the breakfast was... not even marginal, just bad. A few things, leftovers from previous days, packaged pastries, thrown on a table. Pay coffee machine with not very good coffee. No one around to even ask questions about anything, unlike any other B&B experience we've had.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We made the mistake of arriving at 1:15 pm and missed check in. The office closes from 1:00 to 4:00 every day. You won't be able to get past the metal gate of the driveway until the owner returns. Once you check in you will get a key that will open the gate. The staff was friendly but spoke very little english. The rooms were very nice and the terraces were lovely. The breakfast was marginal. You were allowed one machine produced cup of coffee or tea per person and then you had to pay fifty cents for any others. We were surprised that the owner wanted cash for our stay and since we couldn't really communicate very well we just paid it. I accidentally left my travel notebook with all of our confirmations, hotel addresses, phone numbers...everything...on the desk in the office when we checked out. We then toured the ruins and then I noticed that it was gone. Of course by this time it was 1:10. We had planned on leaving Pompei and driving to Tuscany but were unable to leave until we got the book. I tried calling the hotel (owner's cell phone) and he didn't answer. I finally reached him at 4:10 and he was able to tell me that he wasn't coming back to the hotel until 7:00 pm. I begged him to come back and let me look for my book. He had no idea what I was talking about but did agree to come back at 5:00. We waiting in the driveway for an hour. Once he got there we found the book and were on our way. The hotel was a bit difficult to find and we had a gps in our rental car. I'm not sure if I would stay there again but for the price it was a nice enough place.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends