“The best pizza I've ever tasted!”

Pizzeria Starita a Materdei
Ranked #65 of 3,196 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We chose this pizzeria as we were headed to the archaeological museum nearby. Don't be fooled by the takeaway look to the front. This is a proper labyrinth of a place and we were seated and served quickly. Our waiter recommended what he thought was the best on the menu and our pizzas arrived just a few minutes later. OMG. I think I died and went to heaven. Seriously the best pizza ever. 100% recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,861)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited for lunch, then returned for dinner the next day! There was no wait for lunch, but we were surprised to find a 30 minute wait for dinner, given there's a pizzeria on almost every corner. With pizza this good, I could see why people would choose to wait rather than settle. Huge selection, such as Ortalana, covered with delicious vegetables, but with pizza this good I prefer the simplest: margarita, maybe jazzed up with bufala mozzarella. Good, friendly service.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

OH MY GOSH. Want an amazing, authentic Neopolitan pizza? GO HERE! The base is just incredible, I'm still trying to get over it. Light, airy, chewy, just amazing! I would return to Naples just to eat this again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Every person I spoke to who either lived in or visited Naples told me Starita was the best pizzeria, it was founded in 1901 and was apparently unbeatable. You have to try to believe and I was not dissapointed. When I arrived there was already a gaggle of hungry customers waiting outside so we put our name down on the list and joined the madness. About 40 mins later our name was called, so not too long a wait consideirng it was peak time of 9:30/10pm.
I decided to stick with the classic pizza, knowing that if the quality is good then the simple ingredients should speak for themselves. I chose the pizza napoletana S.T.G. it was heavenly, the tomatoes were so juicy and fresh, the mozzarella was the best I've ever had, the dough was thin but bouncy, salty and oily in just the right amounts. I ate the whole thing and didn't feel overfull at the end, I tried sorbilla and di matteo whilst in Naples but Starita is 100% my favourite - I cannot wait to visit again, pizza anywhere else just doesn't do it for me anymore.

2  Thank Roxy P
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were eager to experience the best Neopolitan pizza and found that the other famous places were impossible to get in, with lines forming two hours ahead of opening. Not for us. I wanted to go to Starita ever since watching Sophia Loren in L’Oro di Napoli. The place is off the beaten path but worth finding. We arrived early and were the only ones there, happy to know we’d be the first ones seated. The pizza menu is extensive and the pizza was excellent. Incredibly thin and flavorful crust, just enough to hold the toppings, with all the blisters from the word burning oven. The dough had a delicious flavor too. Toppings all fresh with traditional offerings as well as unusual such as creamed pistachio and mortadella. Service was friendly and the tables filled up within 30 minutes of opening, a mix of locals and travelers. We would have gone again if possible. The many pizzerias along spaccanapoli and via tribunale either had very long lines or the pizza was mediocre- as we did try one there.

1  Thank DeniseM753