“Nearly Authentic Japanese in Naples”
Review of Kukai Nibu

Kukai Nibu
Ranked #572 of 2,944 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Sushi, Indonesian, Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Happended past this place and decided to have sushi, Decor is modern and very differnt from most places you will eat in Naples. Food was good and compared favorably to meals I had in Japan. It is not quite as good as Japan but being in Italy, I give it excellent. Bathrooms are down stairs as is a whole additional section. Some cool and racy artwork on the walls downstairs. I will probably be back to try the Ramen or Udon noodles.

Service was great, staff spoke very good english.

1  Thank Jim T
There are newer reviews for Kukai Nibu

Reviewed September 20, 2011

I really thought my best meal in Italy would be italian food, but I was wrong. After 8 days of italian food, I needed a little something different. So after searching through tripadvisor, we landed on Kukai Nibu.

I'm Korean and I've had my share of amazing Korean, Chinese, Thai, Viet, asian fusion, and Japanese foods. Everything asian that you can think of.. I'm almost positive I've tried and eat regularly. This place.... had the most amazing Sake Teriyaki. They had great sushi don't get me wrong but I have never had teriyaki like this before. I assume they put some sake into the sauce. This dish was a Salmon teriyaki (listed as Sake Teriyaki). The menu only offered Salmon but I'm sure you can probably get it on Chicken and Shrimp but the salmon was perfectly. Not overdone, not underdone, I mean it melted in my mouth and the sauce... I could have eaten just rice and this sauce (which they drizzle over the rice). Oh rice is extra. 2euros I believe.

I hate when you go to a sushi place (generally bad sushi places) and you get teeny tiny rolls and then they don't give you enough tuna or avocado or whatever. The worst is also when they use bad rice, cheap rice or old rice... Yuck. Kukai Nibu did none of that. They're rolls were big and proportional in the ingredients and great rice!

So Great Sushi, Great Teriyaki.. Yum.. And the other folks reviewing this restaurant are right, this place isn't cheap (not the most expensive) but I can tell you that the portions are a good size. We spent about 70 euros so say about $95 for two people, no alcohol, but we ate a lot:) (We had just spend about 7-8 hours touring around Pompeii and Naples.) The meal included 2 bottles of water (yes, in Italy you pay for water), 1 small starter salad, teriyaki roll and spicy tuna roll for my friend and 1 Sake Teriyaki for me. Oh we shared a niragi roll as well. (Recap - 2 waters, salad, 3 rolls, teriyaki) Service charge was included but we still left a couple of extra euros b/c the food was soooo great. Beautiful contemporary decor as well.

Please go there! You won't be disappointed.

P.S. The majority of the menu is in Italian. We found that many of the restaurants in Naples did not have american menus (not that they have to b/c obviously we're in Italy, but in Venice and Rome, 99% of the menus also were in english). So just a warning that you either need to know your japanese food names or italian:)

1  Thank minnee77
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Kukai was a complete surprise. I love great Italian food but it was a refreshing break to have encountered this little Japanese gem in Napoli. The quality of the food, the ambiance, decor and the level of service were of international standards.

Highly recommend making it an evening away from pasta!

1  Thank mjmiarecki
Reviewed October 24, 2010

This place is really pleasant and a good alternative to italian food if you are staying long enough in Naples to get bored of pizzas !
Food is very good, with top quality fish. Try their desserts who are refined and tasteful.

The place itself is almost hype, which was quite surprising in Naples.
A good adress, not cheap, but worth its price.

Reviewed September 14, 2010

The restaurant is small, but pretty nice and well organized.
Edamame is pretty nice, and the chirachis as well.
The rice is well cooked, the fish is wonderful (I suggest you to eat fish, like sushi, sashimi or grilled).
The soba are not so different from other japanese restaurant, but tasty.
I liked a lot the service and the grilled fish!!!
Too little the dessert menu!
Too much air conditioning.

2  Thank lucoh99