“Good for train station, nothing else.”

Best Western Hotel Plaza
Ranked #62 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I tried to see the positive here but cant. Breakfast is understaffed do we had to clear our tables, reception guy spent his whole time on the phone, miming to us what he needed us to do. Very few plugs in the room, breakfast terrace is just aweful. Did I say it was close to the train station?

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I agree with most of the reviews, they are fairly accurate. We picked it because we planned on touring Herculaneum, Pompeii, and hitting a few decent nearby restaurants, and it was very close to the main train station and the airport shuttle. I'm glad we did, because as many have pointed out the nearby hotels are seedy and probably primarily "sex hotels". No one is going to pay these prices for that.

As Best Westerns go it's above average, modern, renovated (apparently) rooms, everything clean, decent staff. Two were very helpful, two were indifferent. They did seem to have a hook into a nearby restaurant Mimi's which I also reviewed (not that it was dishonest). All I can complain about is they didn't renovate the showers, if they did they went cheap. Everything else was as expected of a hotel at this price level. Also I don't believe the 20 euro per night "hotel tax" they collect at checkout, although I may be wrong about that and we were in too big a hurry to argue.

I can't argue with the included breakfast, the spread was the best we had in Europe. You could eat your fill unless you expected an English or American breakfast, but even there they had quite a few of the healthier options (they had the only yogurt I saw in a hotel in Italy, for example). I cracked up at the "instant coffee" comment, there was an espresso machine manned by two staff that you just about ran into on your way in or out. They also did a decent job at it. Ad of course it was enclosed, would you want to eat in the searing August heat (even in the morning)? Those that trashed it were expecting more for their money than they had any right to expect.

The area as everyone has discovered is trashy, dirty, shady, has prostitution, high traffic with insane drivers, and is not at all appealing. The nearby touristy streets are decent though and there's plenty to look at. That being said, common sense is all you need to be safe. Like don't talk to strangers, keep your valuables close, don't walk in places you obviously weren't meant to walk in, especially at night. We never felt threatened, weren't bothered, obviously targeted, or solicited, but that might just be luck.

And Naples, clean up your streets, stinking garbage isn't appealing to tourists, believe it or not.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Orerockon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is horrible. When we checked in the front desk man was very rude and unhelpful. He just handed over the room key and on asking him how far is the center he just made a big circle on the map and starred at his computer.When you are in hospitality business you cannot be rude to your customer.The room reminded us of an hospital room boring blue walls with white light in the room.The bed sheet was stained.
Now for the location it is in the worst part of naples. The square in front of our hotel is filled with strange men sitting around and starring at what god knows.The street are filled with garbage everywhere.In the evening the square is filled with people selling second hand goods which look like they are stolen very very creepy.You walk even more ahead people are selling ipad and iphone randomly on the roads. In the evening the front desk man was different , he was kind enough to tell us not to walk on the roads and that he could arrange us a taxi for the center costing 15 euros. Lucky for us it was our last day of are holiday and we stayed only one night here. The hotel charges 25 euros flat for airport taxi. Take this taxi and run away from here

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nehasahaya
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a hotel that is so near everywhere you want to see in Naples. It was clean excellent air condition fair but good breakfast except on Sunday the bread was not fresh. The staff at the reception were very friendly and helped answer our questions and provided us with tours and explained very well how to reach or get a bus to a destination. Gian Franco was very helpful every time and had always a smile on his face which is very welcoming. Only thing negative is that the square in front of hotel is very dirty and on some days in the evening it is used as a flee market by gypsies.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were booked in for one night having missed our shipping Rome due to delayed flights. Arrived late at 11pm. Hotel was expecting us by what I guess was the night porter.
Very basic hotel in not the best of areas but room was clean. To be honest we were just delighted to get to room having spent 8 hours at Frankfurt airport before we arrived at Naples. There were 6 of us and took two taxis but one was stopped by police to check taxis papers... summed up the day! Air con in room didn't work but I was past caring. Breakfast on roof top was not exciting, basic but all we needed. Fresh fruit and yogurt.
Would not have wanted to stay there for a holiday or a city break but just for an overnight stay, it was ok.
Cost £100 plus local tax or the room for a night.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Location
Located right next to station – about 5 minutes walk. From Airport around 15 minutes by taxi (hotel provide taxi service at €25- fixed rate, might be cheaper outside of airport but preferred the no hassle service with a sign waiting for me) Taxi driver “Perrone” is a lovely guy whom talks English well and loves to talk about his city.
The local area as people say does look shady- the immediate square outside has many Senegalese people just hanging about but to be fair –none of them hassled me. There is a nice pizza place just across the street that uses wood ovens and was one of the best pizza’s I had in Italy. There are also many shops.
As stated the area does look shady and this part of Naples- appears so but as long as you don’t show off your camera, Louis Vitton bag you are fine. People do not hassle you like you might see in Asia. Within about 5 minutes walk you enter the old town – which is beautiful and safe, there is a lot of cool shops passage ways and yes there is Camorra everywhere but they do not do anything to tourists (you will notice them sitting on seats on street corners). Police presence is high and I felt very safe. About 35 minute walk is the port and the waters edge which is beautiful. To all people that are put off by area of hotel – this is not Naples, Naples is an amazing city and found it more interesting than Milan, the people are rougher but definitely nicer to tourists.
Room
Room is quite simple and dated but cosy. There was a comfortable double bed with a table which had a Tv on it- not plugged in and some small wardrobe space- it was a bit poky and the main issue was lack of plugs only by the TV is a plug – however the hotel have provided a multi plug (European) so wasn’t too much of an issue. The Bathroom was quite simple with a shower (the head was broken water leaking out of the hose) but adequate Best Western amenities. Overall its not a high standard best western room that you might find in the US but its was reasonable.
Facilities
WIFI is free and for me worked fine (was on 1st floor) had no issues connecting and was better than most of the other hotels I stayed in Italy with fast connection. There is a resturant on the roof that is only used for breakfast- Food was adequate bread ham and cheese & some cereals but did not notice anything hot. There were boiled eggs. Bread tasted nice but overall was simple. I did see the “nuclear” Oj from the machine and didn’t try it following the previous reviews. There is some seating area downstairs by reception and a computer. Also a elevator that worked fine.
Staff
I have to say, the staff at this hotel were amazing- from all the reception, taxi drivers (provided by hotel) to the restaurant- all extremely friendly helpful and spoke English perfectly – naturally seem really interested in providing a good service, on a level with travelers. They even shook my hand to say goodbye and were very helpful with map and guide of area, advising what to carry etc (camera’s). It is the staff that I award this review : 4 stars, otherwise would say it is of 2-3 star standard if say the staff were rude or disinterested.
Overall would definitely stay here again and loved Naples- just be brave- walk about and you will find a really interesting city with overall nice people, interesting building and atmosphere.

Room Tip: WIFI is perfect on 1st flooor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The check in was great. The guy that checked me in was very nice and Helpful. When I had a problem openign my door he came and helped and had to help me get the door open by using some push pull and turning of the Key combination.
The next morning they were very helpful in getting me a cab to get to my job nearby the airport and prepaying through the Hotel.

Make sure the Cab driver does not take you the long way form the airport to the Hotel. There is a drive that is roughly 4KM and the other way goes arround the city and comes back from the backside.

Room Tip: room 20 is off on the Side street and was very quite. I heard nothing. However the issue was the Key...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business