“Great pool but like Naples, a little run down”

Montespina Park Hotel
Ranked #29 of 185 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Had a happy stay at the Montespina. The highlight was the pool. Warm, clean and an interesting design. The kids lOved it. Poolside lunches also pretty good. Breakfast was pretty good although eggs and frankfurters rubbery. In a pretty run down area but easy to get in to Naples via either the Metro or cuminare (?) train. About 20 mins to Garibaldi Central Station. This madd trips to Pompei or Herculaneum a breeze. Always caught a cab home from central Naples though as wouldn't wander outside at night. Cost 12-16€ for a cab from city centre.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 29, 2012

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I wish I had read the reviews before booking in for 4 nights. Run-down hotel in a run-down part of a run-down city. I would not stay here had I not paid up front on the internet, non-refundable. And yes there are loads of mosquitos.

Room Tip: The rooms around the pool seem better than the ones in the main building
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The Montespina Park hotel is a smart and stylish hotel in a quiet, comfortable great location. Our room was very spacious and well laid out with every amenity. The staff were friendly, polite and attentive and the value for money excellent

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed February 22, 2012

We booked this hotel based on the good reviews. It was only that a few days before our trip that I saw a negative one about the area. This hotel is very nice, our room was very clean and staff very polite and helpful. The hotel is about 20 or so minutes from the Naples Airport. A Taxi driver charged us 50 Euro to get the hotel from the airport, once we got the hotel, we were told we should have paid no more than about 25 Euro. Naples itself, or atleast this part is very very run down. The area around the hotel is so dirty, so much trash, you dont know whether to find a trashcan or just add yours to it. My husband went to get our rental car the next morning and a little girl ran up to his car at a stoplight asking to wash the windows for money. We had small children with us and I was pregnant, my husband and I agreed we would do no sight seeing in Pompeii like we had planned, and we would cut our stay short, and go to Livorno the next night. The restaurant at the hotel was very good, and service was nice. The hotel is seperated from the rest of the city, its got a huge wall around it, and you have to be let in through the buzzer for the gate, obviously there is a reason for this. I would recomend it for people with no children. We would have stayed and seen Pompeii had we not had children with us.

Room Tip: Be specific which rooms you want, there are rooms in the main building, and then ones out by the poo...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank GGreen11
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Great hotel, nice pool if you can deal with the "Absolutely positively NO outside food allowed!" policy. You MUST buy all your food and drinks at the pool. AND you have to wear a swimming cap to be in the water. They tried to get one of the bald guys in our group to do that as well. It was a funny exchange, to say the least.

BUT BUT BUT. Once one of their staff tried to push my female soldier into her room while trying to kiss her saying "let's just go in for 10 minutes. Just 10 minutes" and she finally shoved him off, that's when my opinion of the hotel went downhill. I complained to the staff who said "we're shocked!"

They did nothing at all about it and the staff member even told me the next day, "I said nothing happened. Who are you going to believe, your soldier, or me?" Gee pal, let me think, a US Soldier that I'd trust my life to who was in tears after the assault or some slimy Italian dude.

Not a hard choice. We moved out.

On a side note, the whole place is infested with mosquitoes. They refuse to spray for them so we were always covered in Deep Woods Off while at the pool. My room had what looked like months of smashed bugs on the walls and ceilings as well. Not very nice to look at.

All this out of what is supposed to be a 4-Star hotel? Stay elsewhere or guard your women.

Room Tip: Select a Bungalo. There's NO internet connection in the main building. Or better yet, get a 3G c...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Roberticus-Traveler
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Having read some of the reviews on trip advisor prior to our holiday(already booked!), we were anxious to say the very least of what we were going to find.
However- on arrival we were greeted by not 1 but 2 reception staff both speaking english to our very broken Italian! Both were very accomadating because we believe that as we had made the effort to speak their language they responded politely and helpfully. We had our bags sent taken to our room by a shyer but still curteous member of staff.
We have nothing but praise for the cleanliness of the hotel and the chamber maids were always smiling and welcoming saying 'Good day' to us daily.
We do agree that the menu is basic but you are in Naples in Italy there is plenty of choice in and around the city! The restaurant was very Family friendly for all nationalties and the breakfast menu was constantly being refilled until everyone had had their fill.
We ate around the pool under cool tables of which their must have been 10-15 and we were allowed to take drinks to our sun beds- in all cases the need not to take food around the pool was for health and safety reasons.
A great value hotel, with an excellent pool area, clean and safe, the rooms were clean and cool and the mini bar prices were the same as in the local area.
If I did have one little niggle- as an english lass I did miss my morning cuppa in bed every morning but hey I made up for it at breakfast time.
We took our 15 year old daughter with us, she slept well, conversed with staff as and when and thoroughly enjoyed trying the new tastes that Italy had to share.
For the price we felt this was bob on for the value- sure if you travel the world regularly you will find better I am sure but I know you will definately find worse- just remember that the star rating is different for different countries we were advised not to go lower than 3 and got a great 4 star hotel experience!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family