“Sleepless night and 30 bug bites”
Review of Hotel Le Orchidee

Hotel Le Orchidee
Ranked #86 of 186 Hotels in Naples
“Sleepless night and 30 bug bites”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It took me an hour to find the hotel because I was following the bad bus instructions given by the website. Room seemed very clean on arrival, clean sheets and clean room. However, as soon as I opened the bathroom door the smell of raw sewage hit me in the face. the only way to breath was by opening the balcony doors. Doing this allowed about a thousand Mosquitos into my room and I woke up at 3 am to them buzzing in my ear. I stayed up until 7 am killing Mosquitos. Still ended up with bites everywhere. I would have shut the outside door but I'd rather get pestered by Mosquitos then have my room smell of sewage. Guy at the front desk is nice enough but he hardly speaks English so good luck getting any help from him. If your lights don't work it's because he has to turn on your power from the office. Don't expect the ac to work and be ready to walk up and down 5 stories. I gave this hotel two stars instead of one because its in a good location and very affordable. But I would honestly never stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Sutherland21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed June 13, 2013

staff: extremely unfriendly. after traveling for a few hours and walking in extreme heat, the person at the desk ignored us and talked on the phone for at least 5 minutes without acknowledging us standing in front of him. he argued with us about turning on the AC when it was 30 degrees out, and reluctantly did it... only to have it "stop working" a while later....

room: not clean. big enough. no water pressure. cots for beds. TV doesn't work properly and lights keep going out. Wifi not strong enough to reach bedroom.

location: sketchy and scary. hard to find. noisy.

atmosphere: not really any.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Naples hotels

Island of Capri, Italy
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Schwierig zu bewerten: gute lage, super ausgangspunkt fürs einkaufen ( corso umberto - einkaufstraße, in der nähe etwa 15 min. fussweg: die schöne galleria umberto, via chiaia etc. Problem nur: Hotel befindet sich im 5. Stock, was uns vorab im Internet nicht klar war. Zugänglich über eine schöne Treppe ( eben ca 5 Geschosse hoch), oder über einen sehr alten historischen Lift (vermutlich aus den 30er Jahren??), übrigens sehr hübsch. Wer jedoch Höhenangst hat, hat hier Pech gehabt. Kosten pro LIftfahrt: 20 cent. Dass man Lift fahren muss, wird einem leider nicht mitgeteilt, auf den diversen Internetbuchungsseiten. Im Internet findet man ein Foto vom Frühstücksbuffet. Fakt ist: Wir haben kein Frühstück im Hotel erhalten, sondern mussten morgens zu einem Cafe an einer Piazza ( etwa 20 m vom Hotel entfernt ) laufen, und haben dort ein sehr gutes Croissant und einen Cappuchino erhalten. Ein wenig veräppelt kam ich mir vor, weil im Internet ein Frühstücksbuffet im Hotel gezeigt wird. Im Zimmer musste man selbst dafür sorgen, dass Toilettenpapier anwesend war. Kein Duschgel, Kein Shampoo. Gut: Zimmer war sauber. Super: Lage. Etwas irritierend: Lift, 5. Geschoss, und kein Duschgel, kein Schampoo. Sehr netter Mann an der Reception, den man allerdings nicht zu sehr stressen durfte. * Hard to describe: If you see the pictures in the internet, you see an old historic building. Facts: The hotel is JUSt located in the 5 th floor; you have to walk several stairs, or to take a very old elevator (maybe 1930s?); fee: 20 cent. If you have a problem with taking a very old very small elevator, you better shouldnt stay here. Our room was very clean, restored in 1997, and we we had a nice view to the port. The location is really good. at the corso umberto you can go shopping, everything is very near. ( Galleria Umberto approx. 12 min. walk, main station approx. 15 min. walk). The man at the reception is polite, but a bit introverted, so we had to ask all the things, and - for example - to tell him, that a toilet paper roll is missing in the bath. NO Shower-gel included, no Shampoo included. I am not sure, if this is a really 2 star hotel. Wlan didnt run in the room. On the internet page you can see a collazione ( breakfast) table... we didnt see that at all. We had to take breakfast outside in a cafe near by, ( and we just got 1 x croissant and 1 x Cappucchino per person) at a Cafe, close to the hotel, approx. 60 feet . The pictures on internet are not realistic, or we didnt get all the information. Really perfect was: Location.

Room Tip: zimmer mit balkon wählen. chose a room with balkony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I booked this hotel in October 2012 for 4 nights in April 2013.

Imagine my surprise when 2 weeks before we travelled to Naples I was informed by the manager that they were unable to accomodate us. I contacted the agents, who were also unable to persuade the manager to honour the booking.

I would not trust a booking with this hotel as like me you may find two weeks before your arrival you have nowhere to sleep.

I did book somewhere else, which as it happened, turned out to be a better location.

Imagine my surprise when the manager of Le Orchidee emailed me 4 days before our trip saying 'Everything it’s ok with your reservation. We apologize for the inconvenience.'

What a cheek! Did he think I was going to leave it last minute??

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at Le Orchidee for a week and really enjoyed it. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the building has a lot of character. The location is ideal for exploring Naples, being on a main road it is easy to find your way back after getting lost in other parts of the city. The room we stayed in was comfortable and cleaned daily. Great value for money, we would definately consider returning should we return to Naples.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we stayed a week in this 2 * b&b .Is very well located, in Plazza Bovio , central area .The rooms are modest equipped, but big enough (about 20 sqm) , thei are changing towels every day and clean the room daily also.At the ground floor is a pizzeria called pomodorino where you can eat a decent meal at a good price.
Fair price for the position and the conditions offered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian P
Melbourne
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had a hunch Hotel Orchidee in Naples would be ok. Two stars it said, and two kilometres it is from the station, requiring a taxi cab hunt to locate both the massive bronze and timber door and the hotel itself on the fifth floor. Walk through the courtyard flanked by massive Doric columns, then via the Polanski style lift – 20c thank you to get to the top. Hosts Roberto and Vittoria speak just enough English and they are welcoming. The view from my room is framed through louvered doors. From the balcony, look left towards the harbour, right to the church and massive 19C bank, then up the hill to the fort. If you choose not to believe in an Italian breakfast budget traveller you won’t be disappointed staying here. Located close to the historical quarter, Orchidee rates atmosphere: five stars.

Room Tip: Best room view is closest to the piazza.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo