“Pensione Duomo, Hotel Duomo, Allegro Duomo? Whatever this place is called, either way its impossible to find”
Review of Hotel Duomo

Hotel Duomo
Ranked #139 of 186 Hotels in Naples
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Finding this hotel was a problem in itself, it’s only sign is a very small plaque hidden on the side of an archway, what you need to look for is a sign saying Allegro Duomo hovering over a dark alleyway. We must have spent a good half an hour searching the streets for it, and don’t expect the locals to help out much we didn’t find a single one who’d even heard of The Hotel Duomo.

The reception is up two flights of stairs and without a lift in sight you’ll have to drag your cases up there yourself.

Having seen the rooms on the website and having read the Rough Guides reveiw I was actually quite looking forward to our stay here, unfortunately I was to be disappointed in almost every way. The rooms themselves were fine but it was obvious that a refit had been done recently, but done cheaply and not very well. From a photograph it all looks rather superb but spend anytime there and you literally start to see the cracks.

Only two of the rooms have AC and our room was one that didn’t, it was however serviced by an electric ceiling fan, but that wasn’t nearly effective enough in the heat of the summer. The rooms themselves were a good size and the beds were comfortable enough but the walls in places had mortar falling out and the plugs were obviously from before the refit and didn’t feel as safe as they should.

The Rough Guides’ statement that most rooms look out over a tranquil courtyard is hugely inaccurate, even if your room did look out over the courtyard what you would see is far from tranquil: dark, dingy and depressing would prehaps be more accurate descriptions. Our room didn’t look into the courtyard but infact into a narrow alley on the otherside of the hotel and having the window open, on account of the oppressive heat in the room, meant that we would often be disturbed by shouting, loud scooters or hit by unpleasant smells emanating from below.

The room itself was kept clean and tidy, but the bathroom on the other hand wasn’t kept to the same standard. The shower cubical didn’t appear to have been properly cleaned from one day to the next and as a consequence mould was present in unpleasant quantities. With the shower turned on it would take about two mintues for the basin to fill and start to overflow bringing with it an overwhelming smell of sewage. When we mentioned it to the person behind reception he didn’t seem particularly suprised or interested but said he would sort it out for us. He may well have done something to sort it out but it only made a small amount of difference but at least it meant we could have a shower.

There is a TV in the room but with a screen size of about 8” you would have to sit ontop of it before you could see the picture, but as I’ve said before you don’t go on holiday to watch TV.

The internet is available but it will cost you a fortune, you can either use their Wi-Fi at €10 for 24 hours or use the computer in the lobby at €5 for an hour. I needed to use it so I had to give them €10 for which I got a hand written slip of paper with a code on it (well worth the money I think you’ll agree) and an internet connection that occasionally cut off.

The lobby area has a drinks machine (which was off the whole time we were there) a large TV, some books, an XBOX 360 and a chess set. You get the impression its geared towards young backpackers as an area for them to hang out but it lacks any vibe and in all the time we were there we didn’t meet a single other traveller.

Being almost opposite the Duomo the hotel’s street is horrendous, walking down it is a health risk and to try and drive your car up it is to dice with death. I would VERY STRONGLY suggest against bringing a car to Naples, everything you have ever read about how bad the driving is doesn’t come close to the reality of it.

The staff were not particularly helpful and of all the advice we received it was almost all entirely useless, from the car parks that didn’t exist to the street full of restaurants that all turned out to be take aways. They also refused to keep the booking for 4 nights I had made 3 months before unless I pay the full amount straight away, we were €20 short so I asked if I could give them that and then the last €20 in the morning. They said we would have to pack all our things, vacate the room and go to reception each morning to see if our room was still available for us to move back in unless we paid the full amount - remember though that I had already booked these nights 3 months ago. It wasn’t a problem to get together €20 but it was the owners attitude and his ridiculous suggestion that left a lasting impression.

It is certainly not the worse hotel I have stayed in but I would not recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Naples, for the price you pay you can rightly expect much more. So long as you book early enough you should be able to find similar priced hotels in the same area without too much problem.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank I_am_de_La_Condamine

Reviewed August 12, 2010

Given the great rate we got at this hotel, I was really surprised by the value. The rooms were large and clean with hard floors. Only drawbacks: no A/C, no breakfast served, and the surrounding streets/alley can be loud even at night, but if you close the window it isn't that bad. Definitely an all around great choice in the historical center.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dhkatz
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Hotel Duomo was a convenient hotel for the historic district. Very close to the Duomo and other sites. It was also very convenient to the train station. The room was mediocre but comfortable, and looks just like what you would think from the pictures.

I didn't find the hotel hard to find at all. Before I went there, I just looked at the street view on Google Earth, and then you know what to expect the outside to look like. From what I learned of Naples, most of it looks old and run-down, but that is just the charm of the city.

Overall, Hotel Duomo was a great value that I would recommend to travelers who want a nice place to sleep on a budget!

***I would highly recommend going to "Da Michele" (a pizza restaurant) while in Naples. Best pizza I have ever had!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nat149
Reviewed July 1, 2010

we stayed here for 3 nights and felt quiet comfortable. the rooms are spacious though a bit dark, but thats a good thing if you have 30 degrees outside. we were also surprised that no noise from outside was to hear.
staff was friendly enough and bathroom, beds, floors clean. a lil fungus was in our shower but its taken care of. they change towels and sheets everyday.

can recommend and wil stay there again when in naples.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank makoli
Reviewed June 15, 2010

I stayed here with two others for a total of five nights. While the hotel is well located, very close to the all the important sites, it is very dark, dusty (my allergies went crazy), gloomy and the cleanliness was definitely questionable. Further, the quality of the service was poor. We felt like we were pulling teeth every time we wanted a bit of info (in English AND Italian). I would not recommend this place.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank zampedimare
Reviewed June 4, 2010

very poor customer service - rude staff at desk
grotty hotel
hard bed
dirty bathroom
dodgy area
wouldnt recommend this place

my girlfriend was made to stand on her broken leg by the receptionist whilst using a spare chair for the internet - terrible

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank holidaytime1984
Reviewed June 4, 2010

We booked this hotel through CheapTickets.com. Big mistake! We were only staying there for one night and flying home the next day. We arrived at the hotel at about 7:30pm to realize our worst nightmare--Duomo Hotel did not have our reservation. Despite providing them with proof of payment, the staff person made little effort to work things out for us. He stated that he had never even heard of CheapTickets.com and did not even try and call them to verify the situation. So, here we were at this late hour with no reservation. They had one room left and when I reached for my credit card, he stated that I needed to pay by cash--which we had next to none of at this point. We were forced to go to an ATM machine at 8pm at night in order to pay for our room (again!!!). The only reason I didn't rate this hotel lower is because the room was a really big size for 65 euro--so it was a decent value for the money. This rate gets you a TV, but no other frills. In fact, our wake up call was via a knock on our door. Due to our experience, I personally would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple